Promoting guild diversity (to increase player activity/competition)

anthriel

Re: Promoting guild diversity (to increase player activity/competition)

Postby anthriel » Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I theoretically support most of the worldchat/friendchat suggestions here as a good support to being able to maintain friendships despite having guild diversity.

However the main topic of this thread is still about promoting guild diversity because it i think it is ultimately essential to giving new players a better gaming experience and therefore more likely to stay and keep playing.

Lets have a look at a case study:
When I first started EO it was a 2 guild scene. One dominant guild and one opposition guild... the competitive drama/history between the guilds had made it so that basically half the playerbase didnt like the other half of the playerbase (an all the worldchat/friendchat functionality in the world probably wouldnt help heal that kind of community division). As someone new joining the game, that meant i could really only meet and interact with half the community. This means out of an already small active playerbase, a new player is generally only going to befriend half the community and probably be mercilessly persecuted by the other half (who they will probably grow to resent)... then lets say the half that they have befriended grow embittered/discontented/discouraged etc and end up quitting/idling/going inactive etc... the new player is likely to lose the motivation to play also... and there lies the end of another new person trying EO or another old-time Rok player deciding that 'this isnt worth it'

But if the active/motivated players were spread out into different guilds (which i believe an incentive system like the one i suggested would help promote), then a new player could interact better with the whole community via such worldchat/friendchat functionality and not be forced into a dichotomy of "taking Side A vs Side B" and thus be effectively blocked from befriending half the EO community from day 1.

It's kinda like Basketball. If all we had were international competitions where its the USA vs other countries, it would probably be a very boring competition to watch and/or participate in. Sure you could argue that Team USA does occasionally get challenged and lose... but ultimately they have the most motivated/talented players etc and should win most games without even pulling out their full depth of talent. That's why the NBA competition is far more polarising/exciting than the international competition --> The best and most motivated players compete against each other! The players can still be friends and support different teams etc, but at the end of the day they compete well against each other in a friendly atmosphere and that kind of generated excitement draws people in.

Probably my last 2 cents on this if NH or other players don't really see things in similar light. If not then I suppose we will just have to see whether keeping a RoK guild system under these lower playerbase conditions can be sustained in the long run or not....

peace friends

Edit - one other thought... even if you don't implement guild activity points as an incentive for guild diversity, please at least do it for measuring the top 3 active guilds on /gtop ... otherwise all you get is newbies joining guilds with large populations of idling inactives who want to boost the appearance of guild activity (which is bad for expectations management, really)

Mujahideen

Postby Mujahideen » Sun May 14, 2017 12:35 pm

The first step to promoting guild diversity is to get a larger player base.

Many gangs split apart because well, who wants to divide X amount of booty amongst a bunch of people when you could do it solo or with a small group? In ROK you could solo a few top level OaDs, but that was scalable because alts were allowed, you can't really scale OaDs for solo without them being ridiculously easy for a group with no alts, but I digress.

So I would suggest a look at how OaDs are incorporated into the game. Put some good OaDs out there that don't require a bunch of players and allow alts. :mrgreen: And people's greed will bring the big clans down to size.
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Sun May 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Mujahideen wrote:The first step to promoting guild diversity is to get a larger player base.

Many gangs split apart because well, who wants to divide X amount of booty amongst a bunch of people when you could do it solo or with a small group? In ROK you could solo a few top level OaDs, but that was scalable because alts were allowed, you can't really scale OaDs for solo without them being ridiculously easy for a group with no alts, but I digress.

So I would suggest a look at how OaDs are incorporated into the game. Put some good OaDs out there that don't require a bunch of players and allow alts. :mrgreen: And people's greed will bring the big clans down to size.

Agree! (Except with the allowing of alts part)

But I feel like increasing player base and promoting guild diversity are abit like chicken and the egg... which comes first? .... By all means if we can increase and retain playerbase first that would be ideal... But if we are finding that we can't because the new influx of players have a less-than-encouraging initial experience then perhaps we have to start with guild diversity first....

Shrug I guess I'll leave it those who have been around longer than me and who know the history/trends and have more oversight on balance ebbs and flows etc to decide that....

And yes I know large game-dynamics changes are not easy or something to be rushed into either... It does require careful thought and consideration from the community etc so I do thank all who have participated in that process within this thread

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun May 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Friend system, yeah could see that.

Global chat, will never happen. At least not with the current player base. We had it for a short period and it was abused very fast. It was a joke.

If anything there can be something similar to IRC channels where you join channels as groups, but that's not really on my todo list right now.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 am

NiteHawk wrote:Friend system, yeah could see that.

Global chat, will never happen. At least not with the current player base. We had it for a short period and it was abused very fast. It was a joke.

If anything there can be something similar to IRC channels where you join channels as groups, but that's not really on my todo list right now.

I am sad, I never got the opportunity to abuse it :cry:
I am still not sure whether to be amused or bemoan the state of (our mini) society with regards to the abuse of global chat (I still think it could be policed but meh).
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 am

I don't want to babysit people.

A lot of people need babysitting.

Adramelk

Postby Adramelk » Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Babysitting is my life in EO now.. It's not a lot of fun, but someone has to keep y'all in line!

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Tue May 16, 2017 3:26 am

Adramelk wrote:Babysitting is my life in EO now.. It's not a lot of fun, but someone has to keep y'all in line!

Uncle Adra!
TEACH ME HOW TO PK!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Miach

Postby Miach » Tue May 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Do they sell Baby's First items?

I think Adra could toss those out like candy.

Baby's First... Dagger!

Return to “Archive Chat”