Promoting guild diversity (to increase player activity/competition)

Roc

Re: Promoting guild diversity (to increase player activity/competition)

Postby Roc » Wed May 10, 2017 4:07 pm

JadeFalcon wrote:I disagree with most (all?) of you.

One of the big aspects of this game is the social component - getting to talk with other people, and do stuff with them.
That is hard because there are so few of us, even in Silo at times.
It would be extra harder if people where spread out in more clans. This means in my opinion that we should be clustered together in one or two clans, not have our player base spread out like little butter on too much bread.

PS: Jake, ginvite the people i want damnit!

Clustered into one clan? You might as well as not have clans. The reasons for having guilds are to group together as individuals to achieve a common goal, yet remain separate as a player base to generate long-term competition. Agreed that guilds being too numerous and small presents its own challenges - mainly the inability to coordinate successful runs, and an over-abundance of PvP. With that however, I think we are far from having the player base for that being a probable issue.

As far as the inability to communicate and interact with others, I definitely think that the culture in this game over-emphasizes the need to do everything with a guild-mate. The current guild/PvP system definitely promotes that to a point. Regardless, there should be a means to talk to everyone in-game beyond simply paging. I agree with Eld - shit-talk would occur; some might see that as toxic. But given the number of active players, I think that it's almost needed. An easy means of combating overbearing negativity from being repeatedly broadcast is giving staff the ability to temporarily mute people after an infraction.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Roc wrote:
JadeFalcon wrote:I disagree with most (all?) of you.

One of the big aspects of this game is the social component - getting to talk with other people, and do stuff with them.
That is hard because there are so few of us, even in Silo at times.
It would be extra harder if people where spread out in more clans. This means in my opinion that we should be clustered together in one or two clans, not have our player base spread out like little butter on too much bread.

PS: Jake, ginvite the people i want damnit!

Clustered into one clan? You might as well as not have clans. The reasons for having guilds are to group together as individuals to achieve a common goal, yet remain separate as a player base to generate long-term competition. Agreed that guilds being too numerous and small presents its own challenges - mainly the inability to coordinate successful runs, and an over-abundance of PvP. With that however, I think we are far from having the player base for that being a probable issue.

As far as the inability to communicate and interact with others, I definitely think that the culture in this game over-emphasizes the need to do everything with a guild-mate. The current guild/PvP system definitely promotes that to a point. Regardless, there should be a means to talk to everyone in-game beyond simply paging. I agree with Eld - shit-talk would occur; some might see that as toxic. But given the number of active players, I think that it's almost needed. An easy means of combating overbearing negativity from being repeatedly broadcast is giving staff the ability to temporarily mute people after an infraction.

I agree with JF that the social aspect is a big part of the game. But what I think new players will find difficult is the inactivity of players... They may be able to join a big guild (numerically) but the members in that guild may already have enough 25ers and no longer levelling new ones... They may be idling 85% of the time and only chatting but not playing... Or showing up only when events are run... For whatever reason they may lack motivation to be active... And this will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the new player who we want to interact with a motivated community and keep playing (cos who wants to invest lots of time in progressing in a game where the end game players look demotivated?)

An incentive system like the one I proposed is to stimulate guild activity cos u only get points for doing active stuff (not idling)... My assumption is that it's much more enjoyable and better motivation to continue as a new player if you are in a smaller guild with 5 motivated/active players who are online doing stuff than in a bigger guild with most idling. I believe spreading out the active players could help foster that more active type environment across the whole game, which acts as a platform to promote this active/motivated culture (rather than idle/dead culture) to new players when they join.

And like Roc/Eld I do be live some way of worldchatting would be good for achieving that too ... But I also don't have any ideas as to how to prevent abuse of that (without adding to staff workload) at this stage.

Edit - btw I'm not really talking about adding new endgame stuff to keep existing players more active cos that usually is something the new players can't really participate in anyway... Getting ppl to keep motivated levelling new characters, farming keys and minor OADs that new players can participate with older players in is the crucial point of activity imho

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 am

A lot of games have global chat. Could use filters for salty words, and bans for salty attitudes.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Eld

Postby Eld » Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 am

In clash of clans they have global chat with a percentage of the online players, when i played a few years back it was a cluster fuck, and reporting people did nothing.
The only counter to this was /ignore or reconnect and hope you were connected to a different set of players.

In TagPro they have a reporting system for both chat (and gameplay)
The idea is players anonymously report people and if they have a certain amount of reports they're automatically muted for a period of time.
If they keep getting muted they might get a ban.
Staff can still interject and ban people outside of this system

Has anyone else got any ideas for how global chat might be feasible or any experiences of how other games have solved/not solved the problem?

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu May 11, 2017 4:38 am

Eld wrote:... Has anyone else got any ideas for how global chat might be feasible or any experiences of how other games have solved/not solved the problem?

Well... to be blunt, EO has a small player base. In the games I have saw public chat being used the player bases were HUGE, so it was harder to keep things under control. It would be far easier to monitor on EO because of the small player base. There is no need to come up with anything that remarkable.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Eld

Postby Eld » Thu May 11, 2017 5:03 am

daedroth wrote:
Eld wrote:... Has anyone else got any ideas for how global chat might be feasible or any experiences of how other games have solved/not solved the problem?

Well... to be blunt, EO has a small player base. In the games I have saw public chat being used the player bases were HUGE, so it was harder to keep things under control. It would be far easier to monitor on EO because of the small player base. There is no need to come up with anything that remarkable.

I'd argue it could be harder because a lot of people know each other and certain people dislike each other a lot.
In a big game it's anonymous and you can move on and not have to encounter the same people again.

If we did introduce some form of global chat i think we'd need to be careful it isn't a drain on staff to moderate it, and that it betters the overall player experience, not worsens it

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu May 11, 2017 6:14 am

Eld wrote:I'd argue it could be harder because a lot of people know each other and certain people dislike each other a lot.
In a big game it's anonymous and you can move on and not have to encounter the same people again.

I would counter argue that; that is kind of why it would be easier. It would be hard to hide behind anonymity, and easy to find the person being a muppet, and therefore easier to police.
As you mentioned a /ignore would be handy though.
I love sheep.

Adramelk

Postby Adramelk » Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 am

Revelation: Lands of Kaldana had a global chat system. Every player online could see it and respond to it. And staff would just "squelch" people if they crossed the line in chat. i.e. political/religious chats that got out of hand and the randomly "OMG YOU FUKKR YOU PKD MEH" sort of thing. Here we could charge non-newbie flagged accounts a fee to chat in it. Something small, but significant enough to where people are just going to babble all damn day 25g or something. Then just have Staff monitor it and take said rights away for an hour or 24 hours depending on what line was crossed.

We could even introduce a /auction system to global chat to sell items live.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu May 11, 2017 10:02 am

Adramelk wrote: ... Here we could charge non-newbie flagged accounts a fee to chat in it. Something small, but significant enough to where people are just going to babble all damn day 25g or something ...

WTF!?! EXTORTIONATE! I WILL NEVER USE GLOBAL CHAT!
I love sheep.

Styx

Postby Styx » Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 am

I agree about global chat however there was problems with it in the past and was removed so I heard. And i didnt think it would be done agaun. Chat filters can be a big part in dealing with issues of abuse, flag account and remove ability, however

If the global chat was allowed it could help with /lfg as an option, ie /ghat /lfg I'm looking to level at level 15, anyone interested?
/gchat /sell I got a big one club, it's made of wood, any takers
/gchat if it was set up it could do multiple functions. And have alias set up for options

But many filters would be needed with option to turn iff, alter tos so it includes this information along with a click box they understand etc if no filter etc

Return to “Archive Chat”