Ideas for additions to increase immersion in the game.

Kawasaki

Ideas for additions to increase immersion in the game.

Postby Kawasaki » Fri May 12, 2017 11:52 am

So while talking a bit earlier I was coming up with some ideas to increase immersion in the game world, I decided I would post them here to see what people thing and if Nitehawk believes they are possible to add some day in the future.

Idea 1: Race Immersion-

The idea behind this is to make it so that underground dark elves are stronger since its dark, so they have the most power in these areas, if they are attacking above ground they will be a bit weaker since dark elves are blinded by light since their eyes have grown accustomed to the dark.

Elves would be the same way in forest areas but in deserts and cities they are a bit weaker as well.

To be expanded upon as I think up others.

Idea 2: Weather Immersion-

Imagine the idea of a rainstorm happening in game, when its raining you have a chance that your grip on the equipped weapon slips and you miss your attack unless you are wearing proper gear. If its snowing you have a slight input delay when you are moving from square to square to make up for walking in the snow. If the chance for rain rolls multiple times in a row areas that are not main paths you have a chance to get stuck in the mud for one tick.

Idea 3: Cities

I mentioned this almost a year ago in a random thread and thought to bring it up again, make the cities have an affinity level, so the more quests you do for the city the more benefits you get for that city for example:
Cheaper rent, slightly lower prices on items, slightly higher trade in prices, special gear that only people who have reached a certain city level can purchase.

Folder

Re: Ideas for additions to increase immersion in the game.

Postby Folder » Fri May 12, 2017 12:18 pm

#1 yes, I like this.

#2 sounds good in theory but I feel like it might turn into more of a nuisance than anything.

#3 for sure this could be a thing, especially if vanity items were implemented. You could wear a tabard for your city or whatever.
<Silhouette>

Eld

Postby Eld » Fri May 12, 2017 1:30 pm

#1 i really dislike this, this would be a nerf for races.
there's not an equal amount of below ground to above ground, etc.

#2 i really like the idea for weather effects, but don't know the best way to implement this
maybe in rain it'd be harder to backstab, cast spells etc.

i like the idea on snow.

maybe gusts of wind could throw you randomly a few squares or. down a cliff?

Maybe a lightning storm could strike you with bolts of lightning.

i really like the possibilities with this.

#3 i like the idea of affinity levels but not so sure about it being for each town.
i prefer a good/evil type system that would in effect lead to you being treated well in bandit towns but poorly in civilised towns.
maybe make it more in depth than a simple good/evil, chaotic neutral etc.

Eld

Postby Eld » Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 pm

another idea on #2, weather that causes divinity boosts/penalties

ice = snow storm, hail storm
storm = lightning storm, cyclone, hurricane or whatever
earth = earthquake, mud slide, quick sand
night = black mist, eclipse, maybe acid rain
fire = sand storm, fire storm, meteor shower, lava flow, volcano

During these conditions certain divinities would get a boost and others a penalty.

I.e. during an earthquake earth would get some sorta attack bonus or exp bonus, storm would get a penalty, etc.

Edit: Combine my 2 posts on weather.
during each of these weather conditions you'd bs affected. differently. depending on div.

i. e. in a snow storm ice div would get an attack boost.
fire would get a heavier move penalty and maybe some sorta reduced vision and take more damage, other divs would still get a small penalty?

During a lightning storm other divs would get blown squares away, hit by lightning strikes etc.

Adramelk

Postby Adramelk » Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I like the city thing and the weather. The racial things not so much.

Lissy

Postby Lissy » Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Weather sounds like a good idea for immersion, but lots of room descrips for outdoor areas might need tweaking so they don't say things like "you are in a sunny grove surrounded by sunshine" while it is raining. Not fatal, just a logistics consideration (because I like logistics).
Founding member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Enjoy a halfling monk served raw with a pinch of crushed red pepper for double the kick!

Mujahideen

Postby Mujahideen » Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Some more npcs that move around in town, and some that can move around and attack out of town.
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Sat May 13, 2017 4:42 am

Mujahideen wrote:Some more npcs that move around in town, and some that can move around and attack out of town.

Aye would be good, I guess it depends on how much resources it takes up.
However! One thing I always wondered about... the Patrol Guard wandering around East out of Seamore... Why does that dick just stand there while my poor lowbies are being assaulted by snakes and mosquittos?
He should be sacked, he is not doing his job!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun May 14, 2017 1:51 pm

I was actually eventually intending on doing a weather system but it grants XP bonuses kind of like night div got in ROK during night time.
Lissy would be right though too with descriptions. I'm not sure how I'll deal with this yet though.

Adramelk

Postby Adramelk » Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Well Lissy needs to come to Michigan on a spring day and I'll show her all sorts of rain while the sun is shining!

Return to “Archive Chat”