One alt vs Two alts

How many characters should you be allowed to login at a time?

Poll ended at Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 pm

One
62%
Two
38%

Total votes: 29
NiteHawk
Site Admin

One alt vs Two alts

Postby NiteHawk » Sun May 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Just interested in peoples says. I doubt anything will change for now but I'm keen to listen here.

Generally want to know the take on people with one alt vs two alts usage. Aka being able to log in one character, or two characters.

Theres alot of pros and cons to each, generally though one character is seen better right now because we want to eventually be able to market it to people who use tablets and what not, and obviously they'd only have one character too. There is something to be said about having a game that works for all classes with just one alt. I know it's not the case yet, but we're working on it obviously. Facebook would probably be a general 'one alt' there too because of integration unless they use the stand alone client.

Two characters can be beneficial for some things like being able to protect your alts with guardians, and would make combat different I feel. Protect would probably need better balancing and/or changes. It also obviously eats up server data and cycles which is a pain. Being able to do OADs with max party counts would be easier though but less people would be on it.

It would never go past two though, in the end if it was a thing, that would be maximum-.

Lateralus

Re: One alt vs Two alts

Postby Lateralus » Sun May 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Pretty much everyone knows where i stand on this but I will break it down again

While i admit the gameplay is a bit more interesting with 2 characters it would pretty much end any chance we have of attracting players outside of the old rok playerbase. We already have a hard enough time keeping new players who enter the game but i believe that would head to 0 if this was changed. players entering the game already have an uphill battle trying to figure out stats/skills/gameplay. Adding another client just multiplies that struggle. If we ever get to mobile that would be a huge disadvantage as well.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Sun May 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Also vote for 1 as I enjoy playing the game to interact with other people's characters, not merely 2 of my own. And if keeping it to 1 can promote maintaining existing player interactions and help grow eventually playerbase then I'm all for it.

There could be other ways to balance the game for some classes if things get too difficult to find players online of a necessary class to do certain OADs (eg introducing hover scrolls or summon pet scrolls etc)

Adramelk

Postby Adramelk » Sun May 14, 2017 11:25 pm

I voted for 2 as my mind flashed back to gate fights and alt wars with multiple clients. But after thinking about it a minute or two, I changed my mind back to one for obvious reason of growth and scaling.

Styx

Postby Styx » Mon May 15, 2017 2:33 am

I vote for 2 cause some of the players would like 2 alts, it gets lonely leveling alone at night. During the daytime the player base has a huge increase compared. It will allow the night time people who are alone the chance to do something other then a 1 vs 1 fight, and not many things doable with oads alone.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon May 15, 2017 3:30 am

I am undecided right now... 2 is so very tempting... so much more convenient... But one means more focus on the one alt, easier for new players to get into things, maybe even easier to balance... Eh... I will get back to this.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Eld

Postby Eld » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 am

I think one of the best things about this game is that it encourages/forces you to group with other people to get stuff done due to allowing no alts.

In RoK it was rare i lvled in a party of more than 2 people, and most OADs could be soloed or done with 2 people if needed.
If we had a 2 alt limit this would lead to more issues with OADs being done exclusively by one person/clan depending on who's schedule allows them gametime at the right time.

Balancing also is much harder if you have to consider you can run 2 classes in tandem, i. e. guard/chanter, priest/elder, slayer/slayer, chanter/chanter

Good experiences with a group are much more likely to keep people coming back i think.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Mon May 15, 2017 4:11 am

I must say: When i started Ember i thought i would dislike it because of the inability to play two alts.

But after playing it for 6 months now... i must ask: Why is this even a question?? The system as is works great, very well balanced.
No fixin' what ain't broken.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Folder

Postby Folder » Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 am

JadeFalcon wrote:I must say: When i started Ember i thought i would dislike it because of the inability to play two alts.

But after playing it for 6 months now... i must ask: Why is this even a question?? The system as is works great, very well balanced.
No fixin' what ain't broken.

This is exactly how I feel as well.
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 am

I pretty much agree there.

Return to “Archive Chat”