MR Changes

Terron

Re: MR Changes

Postby Terron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
Folder wrote:INT v WIS is crap, the current methodology of using WIS works better and is easier to balance imo. The scale can be adjusted easily, if needed. Not sure any adjustment is needed atm though.

I agree, was just bringing it up since it was brought up a few times on why it's hard to balance. The scaling can be changed for sure if it's too low or high, or per point of wis, etc

int vs wis summary:

hit rate base 40%

INT:
int adds 1.25% to hit chance all the way to 20

21+ int adds a 2% /int flat chance to hit with spells
(this is after the formula for hitting, similar to how 5% to hit works on a cav/knight)

characters under 16 int receive a 2% hit rate penalty per int under 16 to a max of 10% with 10 int

WISDOM

wisdom raises dodge 1.25% all the way to 20 then 2% per point after that

characters under 16 wis receive a 2% less chance to dodge spells per wis under 16 to a max of 10% at 10 wis

TESTS
10 int vs 10 wis = 40%
20 int vs 10 wis = 52.5% + 4.75 = 57.25% *(Defender adjustment: 47.5*0.1 = 4.75)
24 int vs 10 wis = 52.5*1.1=57.75 +4.75 = 62.5% *(Defender adjustment: 47.5*0.1 = 4.75)
20 int vs 24 wis = 32%
24 int vs 24 wis = 32* 1.1 = 35.2%
24 int vs 20 wis = 40* 1.1 = 44%
24 int vs 17 wis = 43.75*1.1 = 48.125%
20 int vs 17 wis = 43.75%
17 int vs 20 wis = 36.25%

overall 35.2-62.5

RACIAL MR:

racial mr can be changed to reflect direct damage reduction from spells.
(you can adjust mr on races easily to reflect what you want. if you want a gnome to survive 2 more magical hits than a dwarf go ahead.
if you want a goblin to survive 3 more shots than a helf go ahead) you can actually accomplish this with a sim and no player input and its easily adjustable

spell negation remins the same

(attacking Mages spell damage * Racial MR variable - negation = damage received)
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 pm

We did have this whole argument before and figured it was simpler and made more sense to balance with just WIS being the modifier. Let INT determine damage, like STR does.
<Silhouette>

Terron

Postby Terron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:59 pm

it could work wis vs wis but it kinda makes the system an oval especially with dwarf. either way its flawed doesnt matter what you choose. characters are forced to run no wis to compete or flat out period on some races, its not like a 25 int enchanter would be forced to run 12 agility to be a fireball badass. 10 wis exists 10 agility doesnt

what i put above kept the hit rates pretty similar across the board as far as magic vs melee, the mages will get hit more often slightly so 1/4 isnt a constant thing, and 10 wis gets hit a little bit less. but atleast NH can balance the damage and racial variables dealing with magic with just his simulator. weapons can be introduced with a bonus to damage ect, it just got turned into a similar system to melee.

MH posted he couldn't make it fair for magic users and both types of melee, i just did a pretty balanced system that can be balanced with just his sim and changing racial mr. all depends if he wants to code those bonuses and penalties or just keep stats flat 10-max.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 am

Terron wrote:it could work wis vs wis but it kinda makes the system an oval especially with dwarf. either way its flawed doesnt matter what you choose. characters are forced to run no wis to compete or flat out period on some races, its not like a 25 int enchanter would be forced to run 12 agility to be a fireball badass. 10 wis exists 10 agility doesnt

what i put above kept the hit rates pretty similar across the board as far as magic vs melee, the mages will get hit more often slightly so 1/4 isnt a constant thing, and 10 wis gets hit a little bit less. but atleast NH can balance the damage and racial variables dealing with magic with just his simulator. weapons can be introduced with a bonus to damage ect, it just got turned into a similar system to melee.

MH posted he couldn't make it fair for magic users and both types of melee, i just did a pretty balanced system that can be balanced with just his sim and changing racial mr. all depends if he wants to code those bonuses and penalties or just keep stats flat 10-max.

It's not linear though. I really don't like non linear systems and won't use them as I know how players get confused and frustrated over systems that aren't easy to follow. The system needs to be easy, it needs to scale proper and make sense to people. The formula for INT and WIS should stay the same from 10 to 2x in any situation. At least, that's how I feel anyways.

Terron

Postby Terron » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 am

the stats aren't linear.
expecting a linear result and system wont ever work correctly in that scenario. linear stats work in a 2 tier combat system, 1 mage selects to boost int for damage another character selects wisdom as a counter. 1 fighter selects str for damage the other selects end/agi to survive that damage. flat rates no stat having magnitude or wealth over another. you didnt leave an adequate range for statistics to expect linear equations to work for everything. magic has 2x the range of melee currently. it may not matter now but will later.

lets say u added a burst damage mage tomorrow, the scope of that would be they can round lizards and chew horcs up in 5-6 stam. they would be used heavily. so heavily to counter whats the current top. however that leaves balanced races even further behind because magic hits them still and they still cant beat lizards so youd have lizards vs burst mages and that's it. you see the flaw is noone selects characters that dont have an 85% dominance rate over other characters. thats why they pick saurians and horcs over humans and elves.
why pick an elf knight when it has 10% chance to win vs current top melee and maybe 45-55% chance to beat various magic users.

so i go back to the stats arent linear so how can the character systems and characters themselves be. something will always be left out of whack. but its your game do whatever, if everyone uses the same 3 builds over and over there's balance in that to.

Return to “Archive Chat”