Area Capture System

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Area Capture System

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:14 am

Styx wrote:Healing it sounds good but if a lobbies lvl 10 cleric gets to healing at 30k exp per heal this will be op. Fair warning on setting exp on stone to be little or nothing

Heal is based on level, so if the level is low on it but we mark up the AGI very high it should solve it. For example.

A level 25 beating a level 1 means the level 25 gains 24*2.5 hit rate. So 60% bonus. Adding 27 AGI to its AGI value will make it similar to a level 25. so 27+whatever agi you want it to be. Same difference.

I do think it should dodge anyways, due to high agi characters vs low agi characters. Would be meaningless to use a high agi character even more so.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:59 am

NiteHawk wrote:
1. How long should it take until the mob respawns? Aka your safety window after killing the control shard. 2 hours, or 4 hours? Mind you, we want them to be passed back and forth fairly often.
2. Should there be a warning when the monster HP is low (20%-25%), or no warning at all to the guild who owns the zone? Or maby simply when they lose the zone?
3. Should everyone be known in what areas guilds have with a command like /gzones? The benefit of this is you can target guilds, but the negative of this is that it might mean that people might get mad and say 'I DON'T WANNA LEVEL IN AN AREA THAT IS HELD BY XXGUILDXX', even though it makes very little difference to their leveling experience.
4. Instead of /gzones, should whomever owns the zone be displayed on the mob? Aka looking the mob over to view what guild has it. This means you won't see who owns it until it is spawned.. But you can technically attack it then and there, so might be OK to display.
5. How much HP do we think is a good starter? Mind you I will be tweaking this, but I am thinking 10k to start.
6. Should the mob heal to full after 5 minutes of not being attacked, or should the defenders need to actually cast heal/aid on it?

For city capture:
1. How long should it take until the mob respawns? 12 hours or 24 hours?
2. I think city capture should have a warning though. When should this happen? 50% HP?
3. Should this be globally announced when someone is attacking? Aka 'BLAH IS ATTACKING CITY A' meaning others can join in too?

I will also make a discord addition that at least gives info when a zone is taken over. So like a news feed. Not sure on what info it will have yet, depends on what we want released to the public on capture time.

1. 4 hours, dont want to be killing a mob over and over again
2. Yes, Warning. This will incentivize fights.
3. Yes, there should be a way to know who owns what
4. See above
5. 10k? That is soloable by a 25er...just seems little, in my opinion. Will this mob fight back? Or just be a dummy? And please, dont call it "control shard", just make something that makes sense for the area - a mob like "canopia fairy" or soemthing
6. im agnostic on this. If its low HP, it will die fast. If its high HP, then defenders should heal it.. but i dont have a strong view

For city capture:
1. 24 hours
2. Yes, a warning at 50% so we can all go and fight
3. Yes! oh lord the fights!!
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 am

#6 Have it regen like a player in a temple and be healable.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Styx

Postby Styx » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 am

Dumb thought, what if the "control shard" or even the city's banner flag, aka capture the flag, was to close to temples, so peeps can easily just keep running back.

If this happened to a priest and died the 3 times. Would we still be able to kill the priest or would death immunity kick in? Even a lvl 24 cleric , pked 3 times by clannies elsewhere, run in and heal it, can we still kill them after 3 time death penalty ?

Level lock entry to 16 plus btw, that would be annoying if lvl 15 attacked and nothing could be done.

Just thinking on placement of its area and abuses.

10k hp, way to weak, figure dammage of party of 6 attackers, 450 dammage per toon per round, times 6. And that's being low if berzerker are at flurry. As maximum dammage output.

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 am

@Styx. Just make the room full PK like dragon rooms.
<Silhouette>

Terron

Postby Terron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:06 am

id start with 100-125k hps. noone wants a 2 minute war...this isnt grenada.

control shards could just be a set of random oad monsters. by random i mean if theres say 12 control shard spawns 1 of the 12+ oad bosses spawn there so it isnt the same one on repeat. they could be a variant like "tainted ember guardian" or "tainted ember rhinoceros" whatever you want. be nice to have a good mixture of bosses to hit that uniquely diversify magic, hardcore melee, and bring mr into play a bit. also be nice if guilds cant just lock down an area by making "specific builds" to crush the one area, it just cant happen if the bosses spawn in random areas and seldom spawn in the same "control" area.

just be nice if one day you have to stab a spell-warding wisp to control canopia, then the next day its something else entirely, like a 10000 armor blackguard.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 am

Terron wrote:id start with 100-125k hps. noone wants a 2 minute war...this isnt grenada.

control shards could just be a set of random oad monsters. by random i mean if theres say 12 control shard spawns 1 of the 12+ oad bosses spawn there so it isnt the same one on repeat. they could be a variant like "tainted ember guardian" or "tainted ember rhinoceros" whatever you want. be nice to have a good mixture of bosses to hit that uniquely diversify magic, hardcore melee, and bring mr into play a bit. also be nice if guilds cant just lock down an area by making "specific builds" to crush the one area, it just cant happen if the bosses spawn in random areas and seldom spawn in the same "control" area.

just be nice if one day you have to stab a spell-warding wisp to control canopia, then the next day its something else entirely, like a 10000 armor blackguard.

Approve of the different mob types, would be nice. +1 for tainted ember rhinoceros :lol:
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Different types can come next after we do a test on how everything works.

100k might be too high though, I'm not sure. The idea isn't to hold the control shard for a long time. It shouldn't take 15 minutes to kill one control shard, otherwise it will be tedious and boring. 10k is too little, I agree. Maybe 50k-60k to start. Flame Salamander for example is around 100k.

Yeah I know the 'control shard' name is fairly bad, but I'm open for starting suggestions. I do not think we should have random mob names that confuse players. You don't want newbies bothering with this to be honest. It DOES need to be a understandable name, and variations in the future could be a thing, I.E. 'Blue Control Shards' might be better at tanking magic, etc. Feel free to give me another basic name though that makes sense on what it is. Different mob names will be bad IMO and confusing to new players, which we don't want. It needs to be understandable and simple.

No, control shards won't fight back. They are placed in areas where newbies can wander in and you don't want them randomly dying. The main purpose is PVP not PVE.

If this happened to a priest and died the 3 times. Would we still be able to kill the priest or would death immunity kick in? Even a lvl 24 cleric , pked 3 times by clannies elsewhere, run in and heal it, can we still kill them after 3 time death penalty ?

You should test the system. Getting killed too many times in a row will make your sickness delay very long. Anyone healing someone who is in PVP (a tag when you attack a player) gets marked as PVP, thus cannot ever be death immune. It was a add awhile back when someone pointed it out about healing, so any positive spells cast on someone who is in combat ensures that person casting the spells is marked to PVP, or at least, that's how it should work, and pretty sure there isn't any issues there. Death immunity doesn't work if you fight back in any scenario, so death immunity is not commonly activated unless you aren't fighting back, I.E. leveling.

There is an obvious issue of they could temple in that city, but I think with the death immunity (and we can make a longer timer) It will be OK. Obviously though there needs to be a point in which combat should stop, I just don't know yet and it probably won't be around for the first few days of release until we test and see how everything works first.

In the cities area though they CAN have defenses if needed, or attack back. I think their is little chance of newbies attacking there so those areas can be done however we really want to be. I figure it will be a throne room with a king or queen. I.E. King of Revolution, or something like that.

--

I might start off only with areas only first, than cities next. Just to get a feel of how it works though.

@Styx. Just make the room full PK like dragon rooms.

Pretty much. I think it needs to be similar but allow XP loss to prevent zombing even further though.We'll see though.

'I DON'T WANNA LEVEL IN AN AREA THAT IS HELD BY XXGUILDXX'

My biggest concern is this when it comes to warnings. City warnings are obviously OK, but we don't want players to get sore over it. With what everyone is saying a warning at low HP (25%) is OK, and having the name of the guild in the description is OK too. That way at that point it's pretty much 'X CONTROLS THIS, BUT WE CAN TAKE IT'. Rather than 'X CONTROLS THIS, WE KNOW THIS, WE REFUSE TO GO THERE'. Obviously the people that defend and lost will have knowledge, but it's more transparent overall. The gold siphon'd is fairly low and doesn't need announcing either.

-------

Edit:
For the sickness thing there could also be a way after lets say 3 deaths in a row to lock them out. It's not possible yet but it's an idea. Thus a attacker or a defender after 3 deaths cannot enter the room until their sickness is gone.

Or better yet, a system where after you die 3 times in a control area, you cannot enter the room again for another hour or something. There needs to be a stopping point/break point for players though. Probably would have to be account based though. If a guild got hindered for at least an hour it gives some breathing room. Maybe should even be longer, like two hours.. Says? Remember that you will potentially have to defend 2-3 times cause different zones.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 pm

While I like the idea of capturing both areas and cities, I don't know if the map is actually big enough to warrant both. I would probably say do city capture and assign areas to be under the domain of cities (eg guild holding Arkanmaw city controls reward/tax from the city as well as associated areas such as refinery and Arkan grasslands; guild holding Huldar controls rewards/tax from fort and dread-lands; guild holding drelvar controls reward/tax from city and dwarf mines etc) and for certain areas where there is no viable city (eg the entire wastelands where the closest city linwood is a dump, then invent an area capture for that area eg near the ringleader/raider chief/raiders vale).... Otherwise people may feel like capturing certain areas is 'meh' for the effort involved... Eg if the rewards for holding refinery area are huge but rewards for holding Arkan city is small then ppl might CBF ever contesting for the city (let alone smaller/lamer areas like the cemetery or ruined tower)

Then along with this, also keep the 1 guild per city limit to encourage guild diversity. Yes, the big 3 guilds will likely control Arkan, Huldar and Wiken (or Seamoor depending on how much commerce/reward/tax the auction house generates, or Drelv depending on how much reward/tax gem cutting generates), but then at least they can't expand their domains/dominions any further than that, leading to an incentive for opportunistic players and smaller guilds to hold canopia (for newbie leveling income from logging camp & Kakegi) or bitryn (including cemetery, Karnath mines and ant hill), or even turenyara (incl kings road, seta and ruined watchtower) etc.

Basically I am proposing to group areas under city capture so that you can package them together well enough to make ppl actually give a crap to mobilise and capture. Not all packages will be of same worth, but by limiting each guild to holding 1 city anyway you encourage guild diversity and the dominant guilds will still get the best packages as their rewards. Otherwise I envision a whole lot of work to set up area captures in places that yield very little reward and most players will feel they CBF to waste gold/pots to even contest it (or that some areas will be so valuable that ppl will not bother capturing cities, making city capture useless)

That's my 2 cents. Peace.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 am

anthriel wrote:
That's my 2 cents. Peace.

What he said.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Return to “Archive Chat”