Area Capture System

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Area Capture System

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 am

In between doing the guild wars this is something I came up with and might be a OK addition. It would be fairly easy to add while I am working on guild houses/wars/blahblah.

The idea is fairly simple, a capture system for areas that granted XP/Gold bonuses. It can be done two ways.

1. First, this is the idea I like. Each area you hold gains 0.5% more XP and 0.25% more gold to your guild. (this value will be changed depending on areas amount.) If you hold 10 areas, you gain 5% more experience, and 2.5% more gold.

2. Second, if you control the current area, you gain 5% more XP and 2.5% more gold in that AREA. The problem with this one is that there is little point to hold lowbie areas and areas might be camped by bigger joes which might not be fun.

--

So I do think option 1 is better here. People might have different says about it though. I don't want to give any bonuses that benefit the guild in terms of str/ac/etc though, that would be rather unfair and just put a bigger gap and issue. If anything we can also boost drop rate a little bit too, so its XP/Gold/Drop rate, which could be good for farming or quest needs too.

--

Capturing

There will be one square per area that serves as a capture area. This is the part I am trying to work out though. How to capture an area and how to prevent capture. Many options but lets start with a basic idea.

Areas take 4 minutes to capture with one person, 3.5minutes with 2 people, and 3 minutes with 3 people. Any more doesn't effect time. You must be the current dominate guild in the area to capture. For example:

If Team A holds the area, and Team B comes with 3 people and no one else is there. The capture bar will start going up.. At the halfway mark, Team A comes with 3 people, so the capture bar stops as its 3 to 3. Team B loses a member, and the bar starts going down (uncapturing)... Suddenly Team B comes with 2 more people, so now the total is 4 to 3 to Team B, and the capture bar starts going up again.

Sorry if that is confusing, it's the general idea I see for a lot of capture systems and seems to work out OK. The issue is, we might have more than one team here. However, I think that each team will be an individual count. So in the above example, if Team A has 5 members, Team B has 3 members, and Team C has 3 members, it will not go down. However, if Team A has 3 members, Team B has 6 members, and Team C has 4 members, it will go down, but for TEAM B. Team C will have no part in it unless they manage to kill TEAM B or gain more member then Team B in this scenario.

--

Progress Bar

There's also two ways to do the capture. First is traditional, if there is 3 minutes to capture, then 1.5 minutes would convert the area to NEUTRAL, and another 1.5 minutes would be the actual capture to your guild. The second is to bypass the neutral system completely. 3 minutes to capture and no neutral in between, it just passes from guild to guild.

--

Warnings

This one I am also not sure about too. I think you should at least obviously get a warning that you lost the area, but I am unsure if you should get one during capture. Since we have a little community this might be hard for the smaller guilds to actually take over anything if the larger guilds pounce on them too quick, BUT it would promote some fun combat. The negative is, if its worthless to compete with bigger guilds, they simply won't and then there is no combat to begin with. What do people think? Warning when it becomes neutral perhaps if we do the neutral route?

--

Anyways this is a fairly quick thing that can be added and I think it would bring some fun into the game. What do people think? What is the best way of doing it? Again, this is meant to be a simple system, don't go overboard.

Snyper

Re: Area Capture System

Postby Snyper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 am

I think it sounds awesome. Option 1 looks to be the best option given your reasoning at the end.
As for warnings, i would vote no on a warning to notify during capture. I think it would spur a new role in guilds to patrol the zones or something to keep the exp bonuses going strong.

The only thing i'm wondering is if 10 areas to capture is too much to maintain the small boost?
5% boost is a kind of a small boost to have 3 people or more to monitor and maintain these zones all day. Why not have the zones reset hourly? or every so often, not really to make it easier per se, but to make it worth holding down the zones to maintain the boost.
I hope im making sense cuz im on my first cup of coffee and it's early and this is a cool idea.

Looking forward to it.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:09 am

Sounds good.
Will zones reset at reset (or not at all)?

Warnings during capture would be fun, but yeh... maybe not balanced.
I think maybe a warning 30 minutes (or whatever) AFTER its been taken. It allows for the capturers to have some benefit from capturing.
I look on it this way; it takes time before the news filters through that the place has been captured (via behind the scenes gossip).
There should also be a way to see who owns the area from the capture square: "This area is currently in the control of [insert guild name here]."
This would allow the clans to patrol "their" areas (as Snyper says) and see if they actually still are their areas.

Option 1) Means that clans will potentially try to take as many areas as possible for maximum benefit.
Option 2) Means that clan may focus on one or two specific areas; which would actually lead to clans competing more over the prized locations. This might actually be the most competitive outcome. Smaller clans could even gain the benefit from taking lesser prized areas; since the bigger clans are fighting it out for the prized locations.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Eld

Postby Eld » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:19 am

I like the idea a lot, but I'm slightly worried it might help reinforce the current 2-3 super guilds and deter people from making smaller guilds in future.

Maybe give some sorta boost to smaller clans of say 15% less capture time?

The definition for smaller guilds could be less than 20 total accounts in the guild (dunno if that's easy to measure)

Even if this isn't possible I still think the system is worth introducing regardless.

lastly, would be cool to have some sorta weekly quest for capturing areas.

Would also be cool if you had to capture an area to do a small oad, before you could use a particular shop, even before you could enter a particular town.

Maybe have it so any area with special abilities attached is harder to capture (takes longer, and maybe there's a broadcast)
Maybe it's a one off capture either at a set time or a random time

System Broadcast: Clan Foot has begun capturing Fort Alexandria! Contest the area to prevent capture!

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:31 am

daedroth wrote:Sounds good.
Will zones reset at reset (or not at all)?

This is up for debate. I think it is okay to do so at reset though. Less work on my end too that way.

daedroth wrote:Option 1) Means that clans will potentially try to take as many areas as possible for maximum benefit.
Option 2) Means that clan may focus on one or two specific areas; which would actually lead to clans competing more over the prized locations. This might actually be the most competitive outcome. Smaller clans could even gain the benefit from taking lesser prized areas; since the bigger clans are fighting it out for the prized locations.

There's no way they are going to be able to hold all areas well enough for option 1 though, which as you said, they would probably try to do as many as possible (or up to a cap, dunno yet.). Option 2 however they will only keep key areas, GY, etc etc which would probably be problematic is why. Not saying it's wrong, just pointing that bigger guilds will hold and patrol/kill newbies in areas they control which would only be the high level areas for big boys.

eld wrote:I like the idea a lot, but I'm slightly worried it might help reinforce the current 2-3 super guilds and deter people from making smaller guilds in future.

Maybe give some sorta boost to smaller clans of say 15% less capture time?

The definition for smaller guilds could be less than 20 total accounts in the guild (dunno if that's easy to measure)

Possibly but I won't have an easy way to deal with that just yet, it can be done in the future though when I get the guild wars system since I need to do something for that anyways.

eld wrote:lastly, would be cool to have some sorta weekly quest for capturing areas.

Good idea yeah.

eld wrote:Would also be cool if you had to capture an area to do a small oad, before you could use a particular shop, even before you could enter a particular town.

Small OAD before capturing is probably a OK idea for some of them, not all. The fight will be at the capture area, probably not at the OAD though, so it's just diverting the PVP and prolonging it a few minutes which could be a OK... But it also might make OAD areas run by bigger guys only since they know the area is completely secured by staying on the square with a large amount of people.. I wouldn't say shops though or towns in the current world. You do NOT want to prevent someone from leveling, which is already task on it's own. Not being allowed to enter let's say the dwarven city would be very annoying to players. The idea would be more that a new city or shop (lets say a guild own city) that might have current potions in game or slightly better potions (5HP more things like that).

Thinking about it, you could technically let them IN the city, but block access to the shops as you say. They would have to go to the throne room to capture the area, thus unlocking the shops to them.

eld wrote:Maybe have it so any area with special abilities attached is harder to capture (takes longer, and maybe there's a broadcast)
Maybe it's a one off capture either at a set time or a random time

System Broadcast: Clan Foot has begun capturing Fort Alexandria! Contest the area to prevent capture!

A prolonged time is easy to do. Could have warnings for special areas. But I would probably announce it to the guilds only rather then spamming bcast. In the future we can have a EVENTS tab maybe that handle stuff like that more.

It seems like warnings are overall a bad idea for leveling spots (So far) and I can understand why. Do people think they should be able to see what areas they own though? So they can check with a command, but it's not automatic. Or at the very list, a total owned area count. With that option if you want a warning system that's less informative it could simply say 'One of your areas was taken!'

As Snyper said too, it would make more patrolling probably, so at the very list you should get a total amount of owned 'areas'. I think you need to at least do this otherwise you have no clue what your bonus is/etc.

Snyper wrote:The only thing i'm wondering is if 10 areas to capture is too much to maintain the small boost?
5% boost is a kind of a small boost to have 3 people or more to monitor and maintain these zones all day. Why not have the zones reset hourly? or every so often, not really to make it easier per se, but to make it worth holding down the zones to maintain the boost.

I don't think it should be a lot though. It could be capped at a certain amount.. For example 1% XP per area capped up to 5%. This doesn't mean that there won't be more areas. The risk with that though is that guilds might share areas or make territories per day and there won't be any fighting.. But I'm generally concerned about the boost. If it's any higher it can't stack with any other XP boosts. I wasn't really saying only 3 people would monitor it. You can do it with 1 person, or several more. It's still a bonus to your leveling or drop rate, specially if its a area where you need to farm for OADs. If you constantly have a 5% boost, and it takes 40 hours to level a character around, then you save 2 hours which is fairly good for not such big work. I'm not opposed to it going a little higher but I feel like leveling is fairly not bad as it is with party level boost, boosters tokens, etc.

Eld

Postby Eld » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 am

Sorry i should have been clearer, i didn't mean block off an existing vital town or major oad, but say you had a mini outpost/town or mini boss that got locked off if you didn't have access.

Say the control point was a lift or a portal, and you could only pass through if you had access.

Maybe you'd also have an alternative access route but you needed to kill like mountain trolls or something to get past

This also woulda been good for meteor ball too so could have a use in event arenas.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 am

I... don't like it.
Basically because big clans would likely capture all major areas - even we at times level low level alts.
This might be OK for us in bigger clans, but smaller clans, and clan-less newbies might struggle, or at least be left in an noncompetitive position. They will be forced to cluster in non capture areas, where i will mercilessly slaughter them (sorry). Those areas are probably less interesting in terms of Exp and items, so even worse.

I think something more interesting would be town capture - clan X captures town A, it starts getting a cut of all gold generated by buying/selling in that town. No other restrictions/limitations.
The mechanics for capture could be similar.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 am

I like the idea. Guessing the Zone would be divided up like Trails/GY/Dreads/Refinery/Canopia Forest/Sewers ect. This includes lowbie/mid/high lv xp areas. (So takeing a wild guess at around 30+ areas) I would suggest an 'elite spawn' of a mob in the appropriate area. x4hp and x2 stats lowbie area, x8hpand x2stats mid lv area x12hp and x2 stats of the regular mob type(6hr or 12hr spawn timer, you hold the xp bonus til re-spawn) (also untameable if normally tameable). Each guild can only hold 1 area at a time, and if they kill another area leader they would then hold that bonus instead of the one they currently have. (would deter them from terrorizeing and being greedy on the other areas giving the less formed guilds a chance). Example Area: Journyman's Road > Elite Mob: Troll > x4hp x2 original stats > 6hr spawn time. Area: Ambush Trail > Elite Mob: Trail Bandit > x12hp x2 original stats. Area Dreadlands > 6hr spawn time. Elemental Voids > x12hp x2 original stats > 6hr spawn time. Area Linwood Sewers > Elite Mob: Shadow Assassins > x8hp x2 original stats > 6hr spawn time. Maby 5% increase exp/gold.

KS on the elite mob gets the bonus for guild. Elite mobs would also drop no gold/no items to prevent needless farming.(Needs to have a guild alert when you log on to which area the guild holds sway over) Just worried about with the way original suggestion, the smaller guilds don't have the numbers to hold down the square, this would kind of give them a better shot and add a theme to areas and there mobs.

(Don't get me wrong I do love the way you have to hold the square down with a timer, I like new features and this would be great. I just see the bigger guilds includeing my own guild having an easy free pick at this set up)

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am

I think there missing some things to make that idea interesting for everybody.

1 - There should be a fair war system, like a room where an specific number of guild members can enter to fight for each guild.

2 - Instead of current areas, there should be at least 3 new areas (or guild castles) with trainers, shops and an area where players can train from 1-20 peacefully (with a bit less exp than outside).

3 - A guild should not be able to control more than one area

-Z-

Postby -Z- » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am

Is this suppose to be the guild war or just a guild feature til guild wars? Under the impression that this was just a guild feature and a type of guild wars would be implemented later.

Return to “Archive Chat”