Area Capture System

Folder

Re: Area Capture System

Postby Folder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 am

Like it but this is going to be a nightmare to balance. The obvious problem is everyone not in a large guild is fucked.

Dan wrote:1 - There should be a fair war system, like a room where an specific number of guild members can enter to fight for each guild.

2 - Instead of current areas, there should be at least 3 new areas (or guild castles) with trainers, shops and an area where players can train from 1-20 peacefully (with a bit less exp than outside).

3 - A guild should not be able to control more than one area

1) Not a bad idea.
2) A bad idea.
3) That's fine if we're looking at few areas but large rewards vs many areas with small rewards. NH mentioned caps on areas controlled, balance could be achieved this way although that may be a bit goofy too since we do not have a large number of guilds.

If we did something like this it should be something like an OaD imo. Fight for it once, maybe twice, a day and if your guild wins you control it for that time period. Keep it simple.
<Silhouette>

Terron

Postby Terron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:56 am

this tends to be a great if done correctly.

what i mean by this is;
leaving area capture as a free for all all day wont work
small guilds screwed , whichever guild is most active at anytime will make a sweep of the grid. people and clans are active at different times however clans tend to be active when more members are on. people tend to log off sometimes when no-one is active from their guild, happens in all games.

what i suggest is a system where areas are contested 1 time per week at a set time. the set time would be agreed upon by guild chairs(or designated leader, and posted on a "leaderboard thread via forum. this is how it would work;

-each guild may contest 1 area per week at the cost of 50000 gold

-each area can only be contested 1x per week, so it promotes a clan getting in gear and contesting the area they want faster than other guilds

-a leading guild may have to defend multiple areas each week

-contests are settled in a 1v1 3v3 or 6v6 setting decided by appointed guild leaders. (this isnt a restricted battle with arena rules, all classes can do and use whatever they want to win,)

-battles are fought within the actual area in which is being contested. makes it fun

-the time in which the area dispute takes place is also agreed upon by guild leaders and an assisting staff member(helps if the staff is bi-partisan)

-guilds will decide which group of defenders will compete. when team is decided they page it directly to assisting staff member

-staff will announce teams and teams will make their way to the designated battleground. teams will start on different squares and wait for staff to announce GO.

-outside interference will forfeit your guilds weekly contest and gold and possibly an area if you already contested one that week.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:28 am

Folder wrote:Like it but this is going to be a nightmare to balance. The obvious problem is everyone not in a large guild is fucked.

Dan wrote:1 - There should be a fair war system, like a room where an specific number of guild members can enter to fight for each guild.

2 - Instead of current areas, there should be at least 3 new areas (or guild castles) with trainers, shops and an area where players can train from 1-20 peacefully (with a bit less exp than outside).

3 - A guild should not be able to control more than one area

1) Not a bad idea.
2) A bad idea.
3) That's fine if we're looking at few areas but large rewards vs many areas with small rewards. NH mentioned caps on areas controlled, balance could be achieved this way although that may be a bit goofy too since we do not have a large number of guilds.

If we did something like this it should be something like an OaD imo. Fight for it once, maybe twice, a day and if your guild wins you control it for that time period. Keep it simple.

:D I would like to know why n.2 is a bad idea.

I really think levelers should be able do have a decent leveling option than risking losing irl time (because that is what happens), but i know many people who plays this game have fun in killing lowbies and defend that is part of the game.

I just think that levelers should be able to choose, cause the fun really starts when you have power to fight back.

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 am

Just because the game is boring when the world is not dangerous. At its heart this is a PK game, it's gotta be scary out there :D .

We already have arenas if you really want, although that XP is pretty bad.
<Silhouette>

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 am

Dan wrote:
:D I would like to know why n.2 is a bad idea.

I really think levelers should be able do have a decent leveling option than risking losing irl time (because that is what happens), but i know many people who plays this game have fun in killing lowbies and defend that is part of the game.

I just think that levelers should be able to choose, cause the fun really starts when you have power to fight back.

They have this, those places are called "Arena's" :D
But seriously... an easier place would mean less gold/exp (which is like an arena anyway) and likely no equipment drops (there would have to be some kind of reward for levelling outside, and some kind of penalty for levelling in the "safe places" or everyone will choose these "safe places"). The exp loss from dying is minimal now. I really do not think it is needed. Also for the record, i practically never pk.

Hmmm Folder beat me to it, but more succinctly.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 am

This idea has potential, too much potential.

Brainstorming:
As said; it could be made like a OAD.
Go in kill the guards, kill the foozle; you own the place... Until some other clan does this. This would mean ownership until the area was taken by another clan (or reset).
The guards/foozle respawn (replacements - think militia) and become the guards for the new conquerors.
So the conquering clan could try to hold the place until the militia have been respawned.
If it was done this way, could another clan be given a chance on the same day? Would the area be kept clear with no enemy (other than opposing clans) and then be capturable as NH mentioned?
Each area/city could be given a fort; this would be the capture point.
The locations could contain different powered enemies based on the power of the area?
JF's idea of a gold income (to the guild bank) is decent as well, and sort of makes sense.
How would this fit in with the lore? Would taking a city annoy the King etc (likely - then would he send a raiding party to re-take the location?)
Will the capture points be held by enemy forces hostile to the King? So he gives a kind of vassalage for clearing them out (and the reward of exp/gold boost is from him)? Then every reset (or random time) those pesky enemies have re-taken the location.
Or maybe they attack the place to re-take it and then the owning clan has to fend them off (with the possibility of enemy clans being able to turn up as well). Global message "Seamoor Fort is under siege!", then there is x amount of time to gather and defend, if no one is there it is automatically re-taken (although there could be generic militia there to defend the area - although they are weak and will die horribly to the enemy). Last remaining clan wins the area once all enemy are defeated.
Anyway, need to go!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 am

-Z- wrote:Is this suppose to be the guild war or just a guild feature til guild wars? Under the impression that this was just a guild feature and a type of guild wars would be implemented later.

This has nothing to do with guild war system.

JadeFalcon wrote:I... don't like it.
Basically because big clans would likely capture all major areas - even we at times level low level alts.
This might be OK for us in bigger clans, but smaller clans, and clan-less newbies might struggle, or at least be left in an noncompetitive position. They will be forced to cluster in non capture areas, where i will mercilessly slaughter them (sorry). Those areas are probably less interesting in terms of Exp and items, so even worse.

It doesn't mean you need to have it though, that's why the bonuses are low. It's a small bonus or boost. I doubt you will yourself be able to hold out that many areas. I get you can run around fast but with no warning or non specific warnings it will be tough. I don't think this changes the leveling mechanics at all. If your camping the graveyard for example, your camping the graveyard. You slaughter them regardless. I'm not sure why this would force people to level in non capture areas as it doesn't mean you are restricting the area, you are just gaining a small boost per area captured. People could literally ignore it and it would be the same as it is now. It's also why I want to keep the bonuses low. It's a very small perk, but not enough to force someone to level elsewhere. All areas will have one, so it's not like you yourself can guard them all.

I do agree that bigger guilds will probably hold more though. There could be a limit if need be of max cap as I was talking about but I don't think it's bad to make the bigger guilds to actually do something too. However, even a small guild should be able to take some for a little while. We can introduce invulnerability timers when someone captures it, you at least hold it for lets say 30-60 minutes before they become vulnerable again. Again there is 'no' way a guild is gonna be able to hold all capture points.

Dan wrote:3 - A guild should not be able to control more than one area

This seems limiting to me then. It means that every guild can just take one over, and no one has to really fight it out as everyone can just hold one. There is literally no point to add this system then.

Folder wrote:If we did something like this it should be something like an OaD imo. Fight for it once, maybe twice, a day and if your guild wins you control it for that time period. Keep it simple.

Controlling should be switched a lot more then just a couple times a day probably. Maybe 4-6 hours if we do go that route. I'd also do longer capture times tbh. The idea is really to promote a bit of PVP at these control points and get people outside rather the the bonuses honestly. The bonuses are rather small, they don't give so much of an effect, enough to probably do it for the minimal effort to capture them, but not enough to make players rage over a couple % XP/Gold if they don't get them or aren't able to.

Folder wrote:The obvious problem is everyone not in a large guild is fucked.

Again I think with a minimal warning system it's going to be hard to keep track of multiple areas at once. With a invul timer as you said it would help out as well, meaning even the smaller guilds can capture a few for a little while. That is why I don't want a outright 'X IS BEING ATTACKED' because of larger guilds having more numbers.

Terron wrote:this tends to be a great if done correctly.

I see some of your points but you just made it really over complicated rather then a simple system and would take far longer to create. What you talk about more is to do with the guild war system, which is more complex (forcing larger guilds to defend their guild house more, etc etc) and has some valid points for that actual system. But having to have announce staff teams, picking teams, no outside interference, etc. Way to complex and involves staffers which it shouldn't need to be. For this system, you got to think minimal rewards, simplistic, but still forces people to do stuff it they're bored rather then a full hard system. The biggest flaw is your system isn't automated at all and you can't expect staffers to monitor this constantly too. Guild wars nor this system should require staff interaction. Can discuss more about the guild wars system another time though it's a pretty large system to complete and has a few things you are talking about here.

I do agree that free for all 'all day' is too much but they aren't mean to be big rewards and they are really made to be overturned a few times a day.

---

-Z- wrote:I like the idea. Guessing the Zone would be divided up like Trails/GY/Dreads/Refinery/Canopia Forest/Sewers ect. This includes lowbie/mid/high lv xp areas. (So takeing a wild guess at around 30+ areas) I would suggest an 'elite spawn' of a mob in the appropriate area

To be honest the elite mob spawns are a good idea but I'm not sure if it's workable with lowbie areas. even 12x HP on a lowbie mob is literally nothing for a 25er to kill. I honestly though like the elite mob spawning as a separate thing from this system though.

Mmmm.. I actually really like the idea as a tougher than normal mob in the area that spawns from time to time. Would be pretty cool to see them active in game to give more of a challenge and bonus XP/Gold/items through them. I think it's something we should do here anyways.

Again I think only one capture per area limits everything. There would be no point to contest anyone and the reason is to bring in some player vs player interaction, not so much PVE. At this time literally everyone could hold two areas without contest, no point too. I want to bring in more interaction throughout the day rather then once a week, or once a day etc. It's a system that doesn't effect you largely if you don't do it but is a small bonus if you do.

---

daedroth wrote:Go in kill the guards, kill the foozle; you own the place... Until some other clan does this. This would mean ownership until the area was taken by another clan (or reset).....

Remember guys, this is meant to be a simplistic system, at least to start for the most case. It shouldn't require staff intervention and it's purpose is to get players to do things (mostly level 25ers) in terms of capturing areas. It can have a invul timer but it should be more often then not. (i.e. 30 minutes to 4 hours, not sure yet what). While I see something with what you guys are talking about, your system involves alot more work and I'd rather get the guild wars system in first before this as it is more interesting. This was meant to be a small/fun thing that didn't require much to add because of its simplicity. I'm not trying to say I don't like the ideas, but we need to be realistic on a simple system. We're getting into levels of a full fledged system that would require weeks of coding to do. If anything another system like that could be added on top of this in the future that's more to do with 'long term and more advanced capture points'.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am

NiteHawk wrote:

This seems limiting to me then. It means that every guild can just take one over, and no one has to really fight it out as everyone can just hold one. There is literally no point to add this system then.

Exactly.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am

Dan wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:

Exactly.

Exactly on agreeing with 3 is a not a correct idea or that this system is pointless.

The idea of it being pointless though would of been due to 3's limitation though, not the system itself. (I'm a bit confused sorry mate.)

Terron

Postby Terron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
Terron wrote:this tends to be a great if done correctly.

I see some of your points but you just made it really over complicated rather then a simple system and would take far longer to create. What you talk about more is to do with the guild war system, which is more complex (forcing larger guilds to defend their guild house more, etc etc) and has some valid points for that actual system. But having to have announce staff teams, picking teams, no outside interference, etc. Way to complex and involves staffers which it shouldn't need to be. For this system, you got to think minimal rewards, simplistic, but still forces people to do stuff it they're bored rather then a full hard system. The biggest flaw is your system isn't automated at all and you can't expect staffers to monitor this constantly too. Guild wars nor this system should require staff interaction. Can discuss more about the guild wars system another time though it's a pretty large system to complete and has a few things you are talking about here.

I do agree that free for all 'all day' is too much but they aren't mean to be big rewards and they are really made to be overturned a few times a day.

we set up a similar system on perfect world, it was ran by staff until a "mosh" server was made to do it instead. in my opinion w/o staff involved its more problems. unless ofcourse a machine says what is what.

an alternative to staff could be shrines. add a shrine in each area that can be converted by a cleric, paladin or any class if need be. players run in and convert the shrine. if successful the shrine is locked for 1-2 hours. however the shrine can be razed(or healed) during that time. once a shrine is razed it just randomly respawns so the massacre can commence all over again.

the shrine can be globally announced like the crimson dragon , so when it spawns in Canopia Forest for example, it just announces to every character online "Heaven's light shines upon the forest of Canopia". best thing about it is if properly coded shrines can be set to spawn randomly within a certain area so the shrine is never in the same place every time.

another alternative or idea (theres no saying you cant do both) is to have a Shrine devoted to Divinity. 1 Shrine at random during the day spawns somewhere in the world, players fight over it, however the unique thing about this shrine is it doesnt affect 1 clan it affects every character in that divinity. perhaps an exp or damage bonus for the day, or even 1 of several random bonuses.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Return to “Archive Chat”