Area Capture System

Ohko

Re: Area Capture System

Postby Ohko » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:57 am

daedroth wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:You can attack but you can't claim a city if you have one already, you will have to disband the zone or city before claiming another. In the future maybe there will be something else towards this (attacking someone elses city while having another) but right now it's simple and we'll make it more complex later if its needed.

So there would be no point attacking another clans city, unless a clan wanted it for themselves?
And I agree with Ohko on the King/Queen thing. Baron, Chamberlain, Mayor, Lord (feel free to insert feminine titles).

I think if a guild has a city and attacks another city with a guild and if successul the guild vacates the city leaving it empty. it will remain guildless until the next time the shard (or whatever) respawns.
Tivrusky

"The computer’s kaput and we’re drifting through space towards certain oblivion."

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:15 am

Ohko wrote:
daedroth wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:You can attack but you can't claim a city if you have one already, you will have to disband the zone or city before claiming another. In the future maybe there will be something else towards this (attacking someone elses city while having another) but right now it's simple and we'll make it more complex later if its needed.

So there would be no point attacking another clans city, unless a clan wanted it for themselves?
And I agree with Ohko on the King/Queen thing. Baron, Chamberlain, Mayor, Lord (feel free to insert feminine titles).

I think if a guild has a city and attacks another city with a guild and if successul the guild vacates the city leaving it empty. it will remain guildless until the next time the shard (or whatever) respawns.

My problem with this is that bigger guilds will just plow the smaller guilds like no ones business... Though obviosuly they will always have the period of safety after capture. It's tough to say if this is a good option. How do people feel bout it?

Styx

Postby Styx » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:33 pm

We need to promote the smaller guilds imo.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:29 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
Ohko wrote:
daedroth wrote:

My problem with this is that bigger guilds will just plow the smaller guilds like no ones business... Though obviosuly they will always have the period of safety after capture. It's tough to say if this is a good option. How do people feel bout it?

I think if larger guild already holds a better city and they choose to attack a smaller guild that holds a lesser city, then the larger guild should be forced to vacate the better city and take possession of the lesser city they just won (ie you can only possess the city you most recently won, to disincentivise the aristocracy from picking on the peasants). Perhaps also build in some protections so that the largest guild can't just attack every city to displace all other guilds and then end on the best city which they then keep/hold (perhaps by imposing that once a guild captures a city they must hold it for some cooldown period too - perhaps until the control shard/mob u just killed has respawned)

Imo it's definitely too close to a 1 guild game as it is already. Any whiff of letting that 1 guild continue to dominate must be snuffed out and countered imho, otherwise players are already losing interest and will continue to do so. Finding ways to break up the larger guilds into smaller guilds (whether by explicitly by imposing limits or implicitly by offering incentives) is essential for this game's revival and even survival in my opinion. But then again I've been saying that for months....

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 am

I'm actually curious why you think it's a 1 guild game right now? If you look at /gtop throughout the day the guild with the most people on varies quite a lot. Torm is a bit dead on the OaD front right now but Rev and Silh are active and competitive on OaDs. Event turnout is pretty high between Rev/Silh. There are times when 1 is dominant number wise but as I said that fluctuates.

Check it out man, it's pretty balanced right now. Point is I don't think we need overly complicated hand holding systems in place for area capture to be fun.
<Silhouette>

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:51 am

Folder wrote:I'm actually curious why you think it's a 1 guild game right now? If you look at /gtop throughout the day the guild with the most people on varies quite a lot. Torm is a bit dead on the OaD front right now but Rev and Silh are active and competitive on OaDs. Event turnout is pretty high between Rev/Silh. There are times when 1 is dominant number wise but as I said that fluctuates.

Check it out man, it's pretty balanced right now. Point is I don't think we need overly complicated hand holding systems in place for area capture to be fun.

Oh, obviously I wasn't meaning it's literally a 1 guild game. Just that (as I have pointed out before) there is a prevailing perception among many players within other guilds (whether false or accurate, though I suspect somewhat accurate at least) that there exists one main guild with the majority of Rok veterans, staffers (esp senior staffers), people who are vocal on the MBs/discord and people who are most active in the game etc.. Basically it's the guild that has the most committed and influential players/community-members in it... Other guilds come and go (and with them, the players come and go from the game) but this guild endures due to it containing that "in group" core of the most commited/invested and influential players. And so they dominate - and when it's obvious they dominate too much their leader(s) wisely choose to restrict recruitment in an attempt to keep the appearance of guild balance - but really once they start losing due to being outnumbered their recruitment bolsters again etc.... Then the aspiring challenging guilds grow weary of fighting a losing battle and go idle, or they get disillusioned by feeling all the OAD times/game changes etc are set to advantage the main guild, or they eventually implode for whatever reason etc and then more players leave with bad taste in their mouth etc....and the cycle begins again. Torm is probably now weary as Defiance once was. Rev is probably now hungry as Torm once was. Either may eventually implode like Pand & Def once did. But there is one guild that will probably still be around when the others come and go. That's basically what I mean by the perception of a 1 guild game.

And all I am saying is that whatever area/city capture system or shard hunt or guild wars or whatever additions simply cannot afford to feed that existing perception that the game exists for the primary enjoyment of select group of "in-crowd" players belonging to one guild. Otherwise it likely will become a literal one guild game (and die). If the cycle breaks it will break at the point of a new guilds emerging in hope to once again challenge the arostocracy.... And if that happens - be very afraid for EO's future survival. Better to implement whatever system in such a way that this perception is minimised or even turned upon its head! That's my 2 cents.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:52 am

anthriel wrote:
Folder wrote:I'm actually curious why you think it's a 1 guild game right now? If you look at /gtop throughout the day the guild with the most people on varies quite a lot. Torm is a bit dead on the OaD front right now but Rev and Silh are active and competitive on OaDs. Event turnout is pretty high between Rev/Silh. There are times when 1 is dominant number wise but as I said that fluctuates.

Oh, obviously I wasn't meaning it's literally a 1 guild game. Just that (as I have pointed out before) there is a prevailing perception among many players within other guilds (whether false or accurate, though I suspect somewhat accurate at least) that there exists one main guild with the majority of Rok veterans, staffers (esp senior staffers), people who are vocal on the MBs/discord and people who are most active in the game etc.. Basically it's the guild that has the most committed and influential players/community-members in it... Other guilds come and go (and with them, the players come and go from the game) but this guild endures due to it containing that "in group" core of the most commited/invested and influential players. And so they dominate - and when it's obvious they dominate too much their leader(s) wisely choose to restrict recruitment in an attempt to keep the appearance of guild balance - but really once they start losing due to being outnumbered their recruitment bolsters again etc.... Then the aspiring challenging guilds grow weary of fighting a losing battle and go idle, or they get disillusioned by feeling all the OAD times/game changes etc are set to advantage the main guild, or they eventually implode for whatever reason etc and then more players leave with bad taste in their mouth etc....and the cycle begins again. Torm is probably now weary as Defiance once was. Rev is probably now hungry as Torm once was. Either may eventually implode like Pand & Def once did. But there is one guild that will probably still be around when the others come and go. That's basically what I mean by the perception of a 1 guild game.

And all I am saying is that whatever area/city capture system or shard hunt or guild wars or whatever additions simply cannot afford to feed that existing perception that the game exists for the primary enjoyment of select group of "in-crowd" players belonging to one guild. Otherwise it likely will become a literal one guild game (and die). If the cycle breaks it will break at the point of a new guilds emerging in hope to once again challenge the arostocracy.... And if that happens - be very afraid for EO's future survival. Better to implement whatever system in such a way that this perception is minimised or even turned upon its head! That's my 2 cents.

You know, maybe it is that time of the month for me... But all this bullshit whining about "one clan dominates" Ahahaha, yeh ok.
As pointed out the clan that "dominates" is the one that has the most numbers on at a given time and that varies.
Yes other clans implode... why? Whose fault is that? Maybe because instead of upping the anti (because they are apparently being "dominated") they whine on the boards, bitch fight, and collapse.
There is not much bitch fighting or whining in Silhouette, and when there is the situation gets resolved (usually by /gkick or whatever the command is). Instead when we are "dominated" we try again, change tactics, admit defeat and come back another day.
Is it our fault that we are cohesive and get on with each other?
Maybe wipe away that "bitter taste of defeat" with a nice soothing cup of tea and come back stronger?
You do realise that we have had that "bitter taste of defeat" too aye?
Dreads yester - dominted we were; I cried so much. *Rage Quits!*
When things go wrong for us... we take the piss out of each other then laugh about it and then go do something else.
The point of Ember for me is to hang out and chill with my clannies. So when things go wrong with the oads/events etc, I ain't bothered.
As for the "existing perception that the game exists for the primary enjoyment of select group of "in-crowd" players belonging to one guild" is a self perpetuating myth created by people who whine on the boards or in game about how unfair the world of Ember is.
End of rant.
Phew, that feels good.
*Don's his fire resistant fire suit*
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 am

daedroth wrote:
anthriel wrote:

You know, maybe it is that time of the month for me... But all this bullshit whining about "one clan dominates" Ahahaha, yeh ok.
As pointed out the clan that "dominates" is the one that has the most numbers on at a given time and that varies.
Yes other clans implode... why? Whose fault is that? Maybe because instead of upping the anti (because they are apparently being "dominated") they whine on the boards, bitch fight, and collapse.
There is not much bitch fighting or whining in Silhouette, and when there is the situation gets resolved (usually by /gkick or whatever the command is). Instead when we are "dominated" we try again, change tactics, admit defeat and come back another day.
Maybe wipe away that "bitter taste of defeat" with a nice soothing cup of tea and come back stronger?
When things go wrong for us... we take the piss out of each other then laugh about it and then go do something else.
The point of Ember for me is to hang out and chill with my clannies. So when things go wrong with the oads/events etc, I ain't bothered.
As for the "existing perception that the game exists for the primary enjoyment of select group of "in-crowd" players belonging to one guild" is a self perpetuating myth created by people who whine on the boards or in game about how unfair the world of Ember is.
End of rant.
Phew, that feels good.

Nice rant mate. Suprised it didn't come sooner and from others, actually. But I fail to see how your feelings on guild dominance or non-dominance is related to the topic of Area Capture, unless you are trying to refute my simple suggestion that any system implemented should do its best to not allow a dominant guild to assert more dominance (for the good of the actual game). If so, then I hope u enjoy your time chilling with your friends/clannies in what is likely to become a idle/inactive or 1 guild game imho.

I'm just telling what I've seen and heard from many players (many long gone now). If u think it's bullshit I don't blame you (as I suspect the majority of your EO experience has been in the guild that has shaped your perspective to be different from that of others outside of it). But if your response is anything to go by, it surely doesn't show ppl reading these boards that they can expect not to be "shut down" by the influential veteran players like yourself for voicing a different perspective than you and yours.

Shrug I don't really care too much daedroth. Rant at whatever you want. Advocate for whatever changes you want. You might actually achieve them. And if my pessimistic outlook is sadly realised then you can always still hang out with your friends/clannies in the 1-guild EO or the Silh discord channel :) - peace bro.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 am

anthriel wrote:
daedroth wrote:
anthriel wrote:

End of rant.
Phew, that feels good.

Nice rant mate. Suprised it didn't come sooner and from others, actually. But I fail to see how your feelings on guild dominance or non-dominance is related to the topic of Area Capture, unless you are trying to refute my simple suggestion that any system implemented should do its best to not allow a dominant guild to assert more dominance (for the good of the actual game). If so, then I hope u enjoy your time chilling with your friends/clannies in what is likely to become a idle/inactive or 1 guild game imho.

I'm just telling what I've seen and heard from many players (many long gone now). If u think it's bullshit I don't blame you (as I suspect the majority of your EO experience has been in the guild that has shaped your perspective to be different from that of others outside of it). But if your response is anything to go by, it surely doesn't show ppl reading these boards that they can expect not to be "shut down" by the influential veteran players like yourself for voicing a different perspective than you and yours.

Shrug I don't really care too much daedroth. Rant at whatever you want. Advocate for whatever changes you want. You might actually achieve them. And if my pessimistic outlook is sadly realised then you can always still hang out with your friends/clannies in the 1-guild EO or the Silh discord channel :) - peace bro.

Actually it is you who keeps mentioning clan dominance (in this and other postings), but I have had my rant, and I am at peace with the world again :)
However... Before Silh I was in another clan, can't remember the name now, it died though. There was whining there about how another clan of the time (maybe Brotherhood?) was dominant. At this time it was the Brotherhood and the clan I was in who were the main clans. I did'nt really care, I just played. The clan was too big and there were some people in it I did'nt like so I left and joined Silh. There were ... three other people in it at the time (only saw two though). I was happy. We dominated nothing, there were three of us after all, so whenever a larger clan decided to do something, we didn't really stand a chance. Was like that for weeks... maybe months... MONTHS of not pwning anything! Silh is still there. I guess it goes to mental attitude.
Playing to win is fair enough, but if cannot handle (or accept) defeat then you are in for a rough time in anything you do. That is the problem, some people cannot accept defeat. Instead of... "manning up", sexist term (many apologies!), they quit. I mean are they quitting because they are not in the most powerful clan? Because that is what it sounds like "clan A is dominant! I give up!".
Play the game and have fun. Find like minded people. Do not worry about pwning. If I didn't like it in Silh I would leave the clan. How powerful or weak a clan is to me is irrelevant.
Eh... am I ranting again?
Anyway, I already said my peace.
Oh yeh! peace to you too bro!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 am

daedroth wrote:
anthriel wrote:
daedroth wrote:
End of rant.
Phew, that feels good.

Actually it is you who keeps mentioning clan dominance (in this and other postings), but I have had my rant, and I am at peace with the world again :)
However... Before Silh I was in another clan, can't remember the name now, it died though. There was whining there about how another clan of the time (maybe Brotherhood?) was dominant. At this time it was the Brotherhood and the clan I was in who were the main clans. I did'nt really care, I just played. The clan was too big and there were some people in it I did'nt like so I left and joined Silh. There were ... three other people in it at the time (only saw two though). I was happy. We dominated nothing, there were three of us after all, so whenever a larger clan decided to do something, we didn't really stand a chance. Was like that for weeks... maybe months... MONTHS of not pwning anything! Silh is still there. I guess it goes to mental attitude.
Playing to win is fair enough, but if cannot handle (or accept) defeat then you are in for a rough time in anything you do. That is the problem, some people cannot accept defeat. Instead of... "manning up", sexist term (many apologies!), they quit. I mean are they quitting because they are not in the most powerful clan? Because that is what it sounds like "clan A is dominant! I give up!".
Play the game and have fun. Find like minded people. Do not worry about pwning. If I didn't like it in Silh I would leave the clan. How powerful or weak a clan is to me is irrelevant.
Eh... am I ranting again?
Anyway, I already said my peace.
Oh yeh! peace to you too bro!

Peace indeed brother. Like you, I also don't mind not dominating and enjoy playing with people I like. This is why I've generally always belonged to an underdog clan and never applied to be in the dominant clan, though some have invited me. So just to be clear I am not one of those who you insinuate will only play if they can dominate. But over my time playing I have seen many players come and made friends with them and then am saddened when they leave the game due to various issues (but guild dynamics is often one of those larger issues I find). So the reason I raise the issue of guild dynamics/dominance is because i believe it is relevant when considering game additions such as area capture. Just because you are happy because your in-game friends are also happy to keep playing doesn't mean that is the experience of all other players. And surely the game is a sadder place for all when people quit. That's why I raise the issue constantly.

Unfortunately I generally hear the same "man up" response from people in your guild. It may be valid to some degree but I do think that most ppl are already "manning up" to continue creating new guilds that challenge the dominant guild for what is usually many months before they grow weary. Having seen repeatedly the same cycle play out several times, I want to assure you most ppl I've played with have "manned up" and continued to do so day in and day out until they simply grow weary or bored of doing so because there is no end in sight to fighting uphill battles.

I am merely suggesting that when implementing new initiatives into the game (such as area capture), the issue of guild dynamics/dominance is taken seriously due to how much I believe it has already historically caused players to eventually stop playing, and it's even greater potential to demoralise further if implemented in an ill-considered manner. Anyway I believe I've also said my peice on this topic for now. Peace all.

Return to “Archive Chat”