World Chat

NiteHawk
Site Admin

World Chat

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 am

Thinking on how to do this but prevent abuse. Obviously first off /ignore should be client side and then can handle all types of chat.

I was thinking perhaps we should do something similar to discord or IRC with channels. Everyone would auto join #world and a couple others (maybe #LFG and #market or something) and you can opt to leave them if you want, or make your own channels. Eventually i would want channel owners to be able to handle their own channels but I might just start off with a way to kick/ban and eventually add more things like invite only channels and junk. Not sure if they should be account wide or per player as well.

In terms of spam limiting, what do people think? At least for the main channels that have no owner. 1 message per 5-10 seconds? More? 3 messages every 30 seconds? etc?

Maybe someone else has a better idea for at least the world chat portion. Post away.

Folder

Re: World Chat

Postby Folder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Doesn't have to be complicated. 1 message every 5 seconds is fine. Just draw a hard line form the start - abuse it and get banned, simple as that.
<Silhouette>

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:55 am

5 (or even 10) seconds is not enough time for me to come up with a witty retort!

5 seconds per message seem fine. Instant ban for abuse (but a time limit first before permanent) seems fair.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Ohko

Postby Ohko » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am

I think it just really need to be kept simple at first, maybe just a #world and #lfg is enough for now. It should be account wide, but have option to remove per character. One message every 5-10 secs is reasonable with a character limit per message.
Tivrusky

"The computer’s kaput and we’re drifting through space towards certain oblivion."

Roxette

Postby Roxette » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:29 am

I don't see the need for world chat tbh, but again trying to compromise I like the idea of pre made responses. The only reason someone would really need world chat would be to find a lvling group. Maybe if there was a command to type like:

/lfglevel it sends a message to the chat screen that says "Roxette is looking for group to level with"
/LfgMB "Roxette is looking for a group for a mini boss"
/Lfgoad "Roxette is looking for a group for a OAD"

I don't want people jamming up my already busy chat window with fart jokes, selling items no one wants bc there is no demand, or advertising to me that I should join their guild...
Roxette Drow Ice Slayer - Co-Leader of Revolution - Manager of Fun Having!

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 am

Roxette wrote:I don't see the need for world chat tbh, but again trying to compromise I like the idea of pre made responses. The only reason someone would really need world chat would be to find a lvling group. Maybe if there was a command to type like:

/lfglevel it sends a message to the chat screen that says "Roxette is looking for group to level with"

I don't want people jamming up my already busy chat window with fart jokes, selling items no one wants bc there is no demand, or advertising to me that I should join their guild...

Yeah that's why I think being able to leave world chats would be OK. A proper ignore would be good too.

Folder

Postby Folder » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Yea I mean world chat would be optional, obviously.
<Silhouette>

Styx

Postby Styx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:03 am

From Roxette, common place questions to ask

/ignore /lfg ,,, ignores all lfg world chat

-------

/sell item junk that don't sell, price

If we did this then a separate ignore command is needed

/ignore /sell

Many of these option can be done client side through the options screen , a check box just like font size would be easiest

If real world chat is used then we can simply display it on the discord channel, if you dumb you pay the price and can't deny it's your tools name in front of everyone.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Seems most think worldchat would be good for building community. As for abuse prevention, could there be a /censure function introduced? If someone is getting abusive and enough other players online type /censure (abusive player name) then that person gets muted from worldchat for some time (time muted can be increasing for each offense, and the threshold number of players needed to vote for censure can be auto adjusted as a % of how many are online, with min of 2 needed). Then also have it in TOS saying that any repeated abuse of worldchat will result in permanent loss of the privilege for the whole account (for serious cases where staffer needs to step in). Shrugs

Folder

Postby Folder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 pm

I still don't see a point in a complicated system like that. Abuse it and get banned from it, forget everything else.
<Silhouette>

Return to “Archive Chat”