Instances or Improving OADs so they last longer

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Instances or Improving OADs so they last longer

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Disenchanting will benefit OADs a good deal and reduce the amount of OADs in game but obviously there will be a time to where even that is useless. I think the solution is having more variables or changes per weapon drop that makes items more 'unique'.

Someone before brought up that armors/weapons could have a set of special modifiers. Maybe a prefex and suffix that wouldn't be used on attacks, but would be seen on examine of the player or item (so it doesn't look dumb.). For example let's look at some cloth armors:
'Void Cloak', base armor.
'Superior Void Cloak of Speed'... Grants the user -0.5 exhaust timer.
'Void Cloak of Speed'... Grants the user -0.25 exhaust timer.
'Firey Void Cloak of Speed'... Grants the user -0.25 exhaust timer and also 2% night resistance.
'Superior Void Cloak of Regeneration'... Grants the user +2 armor and +1 HP per tick.
'Void Cloak of Mana'... Grants the user 10MP.
'Superior Void Cloak of Mana'... Grant the user 20MP.
'Sparkling Void Cloak of Mana'... Grants the user 10MP and also 2% earth resistance.

So pretty much one suffix and one prefix. I'm not sure if there should be a chance at more then one suffix/prefix. For example Diablo 2 has a max of 6, which means you can have something like 3 prefix and 3 suffixes. I.E. 'Superior Firey Void Cloak of Mana and Regeneration'.. For us it might be enough with just a potential prefix or suffix.

Would this interest people? It would give some huge variation to items, and I would think it would help out with stuff we are working on too.

---

Instances is another thing, though if people like this it probably still won't be in for awhile as it requires alot of time to code and I have alot of other things that need to be done first. This would however be a generated dungeon with a OAD prize at the end. I would think maybe it draws from guild gold to generate one, and you only get once chance to do it. You'd be rewarded with one random item possibly in the end. Might not fit with our current game though, so could ignore this completely.

---

Then there is the way NPCs drop items. How do we feel about the current system? Should we instead expand how this is? For example, the Flame Salamander could drop one type of each item, but would have a higher chance with fire type weapons/armor. This would probably make OADs quite useful but I wonder if it would simply be too boring because all NPCs would drop all different items. I would assume harder OADs would have a higher chance to drop purples etc. I don't think is needed, but I'm throwing it in the fray because it's been brought up a few times.

---

I do think at least the prefix/suffix thing could be a neat addition with minimal effort. Instances could be a thing too as it might help out smaller joes, but they wouldn't know what they'd get and could be potentially boring in some cases since you probably can't make them too overly complex to start. What is everyones take?

Snyper

Re: Instances or Improving OADs so they last longer

Postby Snyper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Both ideas seem really nice. I think it would boost the desire to run those oads more. The dungeon, too. I'd definitely color myself interested.
I think with those 2 ideas + disenchantments could = more activity and possibly a boost in population.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 pm

I like the idea, but not for less exhaust time.

Make it for "elemental" weapons, like "Thunder Void Blade" (+5% damage against water, -5% against earth), same with armor.

Another thing that i would add is an ember merging system, where you can merge like 4 extinguished into a dim ember and so on, with a smal chance of success, and gold cost.

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm

All for suffixes/prefixes.

Instances - ehh. Sounds cool but 1) would take a lot of coding I imagine, and 2) it does take away a bit of the competition for oads. I think it could work though, for people who prefer to run things in a friendlier atmosphere. Not really sure it's a priority thing, shrug.

I think the oad drop system is fine as is. I dunno it could kinda suck to farm forever and never get the drop you want, if the loot tables are ginormous.

edit: ember merging is cool too, pretty much anything like this/disenchanting is good imo.
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Well the prefix/suffix thing was an example anyways, not anything set. 8) I think people would at least like that.

Instances could work but yeah I think it needs to be fairly random since if it was to drop certain things, maybe instances have a very very low purple droprate for example, blues would be = to how purples drop now, and greens would be the norm in them. Something like that. Not sure, we'll see in the future, was more just bringing this up to bring it up and spark some ideas. The prefix/suffix thing though is something I can do in the near timeline.

Rigs

Postby Rigs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Random enchants could be neat, but careful to make some enchants slot specific.
For example: Superior Armor of Speed, Superior Helmet of Speed, and Superior Shield of Speed. -1.5 exh timer would be a bit excessive.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Rigs wrote:Random enchants could be neat, but careful to make some enchants slot specific.
For example: Superior Armor of Speed, Superior Helmet of Speed, and Superior Shield of Speed. -1.5 exh timer would be a bit excessive.

Oh yeah for sure, each type would require specific data on what can and cant be on them.

Terron

Postby Terron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:49 am

like both ideas.

the instances could be done in multiple ways. guild instances could drop loot but instance specific gear, or crafting reagents/items. or shards for the guild later on.

each character is allowed 1 instance. he can use it at an instance portal. the dungeon is randomly set based on your level. you can go at whatever level you wish. if successful you get 1 purple item that is sb to you and cant be unsb. the item would randomly be any gear slot that your class was allowed.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:59 am

For whatever it's worth - my 2 cents:

I like prefixes n suffixes. Would be nice if there was a way to also work slowly towards desired prefix/suffix (eg via crafting or something) rather than be solely dependant on running something repeatedly over and over hoping for RNG to be favorable.

As for instances, I'm not that keen on generating a random dungeon WOW style (sounds like a lot of coding and ultimately it may lead to wasting the majority of the world map if all the good stuff is in random generated dungeons... Like Folder says it could mean less interaction between players)... I prefer a previous suggestion of mine which is a "summoning stone" item you use to summon a random OAD boss to a place of your choosing. Then after acquiring one of these stones (perhaps a drop from a mini boss etc) you can gather your party and use it when you wish ...but if you are followed or choose too public an area to summon the boss then others may come and fight you to steal your boss etc (seems like better use of world map and more player interaction possibilities... And prolly less coding). I also think adding some randomly spawning world-walker OAD level bosses (not even needing to use a summoning stone, they just occur daily somewhere like the dragons) would be better for the average individual player (cos generated dungeons/instances would probably incentivise forming big guilds and lead to less incentive for guild diversity)

Peace all

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:10 am

anthriel wrote:For whatever it's worth - my 2 cents:

I like prefixes n suffixes. Would be nice if there was a way to also work slowly towards desired prefix/suffix (eg via crafting or something) rather than be solely dependant on running something repeatedly over and over hoping for RNG to be favorable.

Yeah I do agree with that. I intended on the enchanting skill perhaps allowing modification of suffix/prefix.

I'm not sure about the summoning stone though, it's tough to say on that. Specially if players can simply pick an OAD etc. I guess if something like that were to be a thing there would probably be some limitations to how it works or how many per week, etc.

Return to “Archive Chat”