Max Character Accounts

What should the max character limit be? (Non-Premium/Premium)

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm

25/50
33%
30/60
7%
40/80
No votes
50/75
7%
50/100
No votes
50/150
53%
Other (Explain)
No votes

Total votes: 15
Miach

Re: Max Character Accounts

Postby Miach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:24 pm

daedroth wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:
daedroth wrote:How are you going to get people to restrict themselves to one account though?

By banning them. It's pretty logical.

I should have phrased my question better :geek:
How are you going to check/verify that they have only one account?

In addition to that, say my wife plays, but not often and I want to level her character for her?

She has her own account, but rarely plays.

Terron

Postby Terron » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:46 pm

use her computer and pretend u have boobs

on another note; im really worried about any sort of market on this game with 100s of max alts. on top of that premium accts offering up to 350 more spaces?

whats promoting people to sell items? or is it expected theyll just hoard everything til all 100+ alts are equipped and we will get a market somewhere near 2038? why would u sell, trade crafting/quest drops and items if u can hold 8 zillion things? im just not getting this lol. is ember just not trying to have any market whatsoever?
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Miach wrote:
daedroth wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:
By banning them. It's pretty logical.

I should have phrased my question better :geek:
How are you going to check/verify that they have only one account?

In addition to that, say my wife plays, but not often and I want to level her character for her?

She has her own account, but rarely plays.

I'm kinda in agreement there's some grey area with account sharing, I don't think it's entirely a bad thing. I dunno the solution to this though D:
<Silhouette>

Miach

Postby Miach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Terron wrote:use her computer and pretend u have boobs

on another note; im really worried about any sort of market on this game with 100s of max alts. on top of that premium accts offering up to 350 more spaces?

whats promoting people to sell items? or is it expected theyll just hoard everything til all 100+ alts are equipped and we will get a market somewhere near 2038? why would u sell, trade crafting/quest drops and items if u can hold 8 zillion things? im just not getting this lol. is ember just not trying to have any market whatsoever?

TBH man you sound overly concerned with forcing a market for characters and goods.

While there may be some upside with this, if you force people into a box, then they'll just leave the box behind.

The limits they are setting in place are not to confine people to a point where the game REQUIRES you to buy characters and items. Forcing a market based on limitations is a terrible thing. The problem at the moment is that the playerbase is not large enough to produce a positive market, and it will remain that way until it gains a much larger playerbase. The people who play right now can obtain anything they want and most of them have. I personally vendor OaDs and drops I don't need.

Terron

Postby Terron » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:35 am

the character market is already passed any resurgence. i dont want low character limits to force a market on characters. i want it to force dynamic game-play. the side effect off 100s of alts is casuals get no items, while veterans have their 46th slayer equipped with blue+ items. this makes casuals leave as much as having low max characters. the dynamics force you to pick wisely and try to diversify to have a character for as many situations as possible. not just level a horc slayer and gnome chanter of each div, etc etc.

the dynamic option is already lost, as nitehawk said people already have 30 level 25s and he wont go less. dynamics 0% nice.

im pretty sure there will be 0 market on this game. all i see is dozens of veteran/jobless (or whatever lets u play 18 hrs a day) players farming items all day grinding them up via disenchant/craft systems and having 100s of cool stuff while casuals have nothing. is what it is.

so far;
i can pay XX dollars for premium
i can then buy a house with up to 350 squares of holding
i can then hold a bajillion items
creating a void in the market
i can level 100 or more characters
leaving 0% dynamics in your choices because i can level all possibilities
i can hold and use a bajillion more items
destroying any hopes of an item market probably indefinitely

this isn't really a discussion, this is 100% accurate. its already happening and will likely continue on until ember's end. im pretty sure i said the same thing on the auction house idea, said staff wasting their time because characters train too fast and u can make 100s of characters, so why sell? so whats for sale some scrolls junky embers and 10 gems and some level 15 equips woot.

really all that's left is for development to say how they think this will create a market or them to respond "nope, no market", "similar market" or something along those lines. this answers my question directly, not trying to smash it into what i voted on poll.

i can understand most of what you said miach, except the requirement of buying characters. it takes 50-60 hrs of grind to level to 25. so how would the game being a max of 25 characters require more character purchasing than allowing 100 alts? where does the "require" come in with either option? if anything you would be forced to buy more characters in a 100 alt system because you are just sick of exping.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:08 am

This is getting side tracked fast. I don’t think character limit has an effect on the economy at all. There is no economy because there is no use for gold and progression for classes like chanter requires you to collect 2 items pretty much. Also there is no character trade market because of no rename. Once we get useful items in for sale, crafting which reduces item surplus and requires gold and character renames the market will turn. That’s all coming this update.

As for accounts. I’d honestly like to see limit at say 25-30 for new accounts. Players with 50 account already will have them grandfathered in. Otherwise premium level 2 for 50 and level 3 for 100. Like I said most free games don’t even give you enough slots for each one of the classes (hell some paid games don’t event).

Along with prem players being able to claim names of love to see a general purge of characters under 10 or so that have not been touched in 3-6months done every 3-6 months as well.

Along with pushing people towards 1 account I’d really like to see people pushed towards more of a main character rather than 20 alts. Atm now like piddy said you can level up a character and thats pretty much just as powerful as a character you have been working on for years progression wise. However with more progression like boots gloves ammys rings etc. hopefully people will focus on more of a main.

Terron

Postby Terron » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:48 am

character limit is directly related to the market.

lets say accounts allowed 1 of each class maximum. i have 10 fiend shiv's. what do i do with the other 8? they get sold on AH.

current: i have 5 slayers each with 2 shivs.

im not saying either way is 100% wrong. its an act of balancing supply and demand.
low crit numbers = lower drive to do oads=no market(unless drop rates are nerfed a ton)
high crit numbers = higher drive to do oads(for some) = no market/trade

the big issue is trying to get the formula to be good market = low crit numbers +high demand on oads=drop rates that keep players happy.
this is only going to happen with building customization through oads/crafts which lat said is happening.
ty for the response btw.

Folder

Postby Folder » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am

Lateralus wrote:Along with pushing people towards 1 account I’d really like to see people pushed towards more of a main character

Agree with this, and sidetracking again I guess but I think this is why ~50 or less is a fine limit. On this same note I think disallowing any unique/rare items in events kills the whole idea of using a main character. Personally I quit events because I'm not allowed to use the one character I enjoy most in them. It's like why grind your way to top items via oading/trading/whatever just to get there and then not be allowed to use them. :roll:
<Silhouette>

Terron

Postby Terron » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm

wasnt really a sidetracked, its directly relevant to alts. but since it was a direct question to staff ill just pm next time.

i just wanted more dynamic gameplay. as in the game of chess would be alot harder if u had a king and pulled 7 pieces out of a hat to fight alongside him, opposed to just dumping 20 fullsets down and making the board bigger. can always add more alts later lol

Terron

Postby Terron » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:41 pm

since it really doesnt matter how about we just have no maximum, instead u start with a low allotment.

can buy character slots for;
gold
champion;s marks
prestige points
or even money

make em play for it /shrug

also everyone gets the max character limit they want in the end

Return to “Archive Chat”