Prefix/Suffix. How to do it (MK II)

anthriel

Re: Prefix/Suffix. How to do it (MK II)

Postby anthriel » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Terron wrote:i mean the reason hack n slash/mmo rpgs work is that you kill things alot. diablo 2 you could do boss runs in 30 seconds at times, or a couple minutes on poorer equipped stuff.

even if we had 10 oads next week and got this system inplace its literally only 10 rolls per day, if they even drop, and not everyone can enjoy it. thats the big one. i can log on an mmo and pick plants, farm gems, kill monsters for mats, kill bosses for rarer stuff, and use all that to progress an alt through crafting or something.

Hold my beer, im about to mud for 7 minutes its seta time... <---this isnt keeping people interested

+1 agree. This is the basis for my issues with the oad system (which I’ve raised previously) too. Basically terron has outlined the main problems of current oad system killing interest:

1. Too little access to enjoy drops for the majority of player base (only few oad drops a day, need mega-guild numbers to farm keys and be online at right times etc)
2. Too boring to want to access (need to grind out running same oad to kill exactly the same monsters at exactly the same time each day rather than having some variety in what you kill or when you kill it to get the items)

This is why in past I’ve suggested that general play would be vastly improved if good items dropped more randomly (in both timing and from variety of monster) rather than current oad system.

Thanks for being open to listen to ideas though NH. I get that change is going to be difficult given ppls embedded self-interest with what they currently dominate and familiarity with rok’s legacy (which makes ppl change resistant or unimaginative for something better). Peace

Styx

Postby Styx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 am

The oads are broken up time wise so people who want to play can, depending on what time they wish to play.

If all oads were the same time then it would be leaning towards one time zone.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:08 am

I hate the term oads cal them bosses and have them set to varable timers like dragons. This would work better imo. Really if the prefix/suffix material is only gonna be obtainable through current bossing then you might aswell scrap the idea all together cause its still gonna promote the same US vs THEM mentality which has guven us such great toxicity we have now.

Variable timers equal people working together at times when people have low numbers on both sides. Not everything on this game has to be a power stuggle.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 pm

The current OAD system is here to stay for now, it's far to deep right now for a fast change and it's not something that I think a 'random drop' like diablo handles will solve. I picture it more like WOW's drop system rather then a more randomish one. I 100% disagree with the 'complete random' system. It makes doing certain areas pointless. I do agree with adding more different drops however based on specific things. I.E. the flame salamander could drop fire weapons. etc.

I never said that bosses would be the only way to drop prefix/suffix gear though, I meant it more about any mob that can drop gear could drop a prefix/suffix gear or those small mods.

But if the prefix/suffix bonuses were somehow craftable or able to be slowly worked towards then it would give much more incentive to play more and work towards them for ppl who are casual players, in bad oad Timezones, or don’t want to join a super-guild factional warmachine. Peace.

This was also the idea but as I said I wasn't 100% certain it should be 'pickable' and instead should be random rerolls, kind of how Path of Exile does it. They allow you to reroll your gear, im not 100% sure how it works but I think it gets a higher and higher cost each time. The 'idea' was that to reroll/add prefix or suffix to your gear, you would need X dust, X being the rarity.

I.E. Disenchant a blue item for blue dust, use blue dust to reroll/add prefix/suffix. I think being able to 'pick' though might be too 'easy' though. The whole HP/MP/MR addition was just EXTRAS that any item that drops could have, this didn't have nothing really to do with the prefix or suffix. It just made dropped items last a little longer.

The prefix/suffix was more something that can be added by the player, either via the item dropping and having it, or via what I talked about, some sort of crafting combine/etc or whatever.

Variable timers are nice and we'll add some more world walkers but this isn't the sole thing the game will have.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Right now the game is so candy assed with timers peope literally log on to do bosses at set times and log right back off during the dead zones of time people have literally nothing to do. I have always been in favor of building a char instead of the stagnate level 50+ chars system we have in place. We ain't suggesting this shit for our own interests we are suggesting things to keep people motivated and interested. It's not like any of the suggestions are overly complicated and wr understand alot of them will take time to complete but saying you are to far into a different system is just a cop out and you know it.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Rodeo wrote:Right now the game is so candy assed with timers peope literally log on to do bosses at set times and log right back off during the dead zones of time people have literally nothing to do. I have always been in favor of building a char instead of the stagnate level 50+ chars system we have in place. We ain't suggesting this shit for our own interests we are suggesting things to keep people motivated and interested. It's not like any of the suggestions are overly complicated and wr understand alot of them will take time to complete but saying you are to far into a different system is just a cop out and you know it.

So you want a bunch of random timers in the game with different mob spawns like dragons. Then I think that's a bad idea to only have that. It feels like a boring system without the other stuff. I'm saying we'd add more 'variable timers;, not completely remove the current OAD system and only have variable systems mobs.

I want to add more things to do obviously during the day/etc. I think it's a good idea for foraging, crafting, disenchanting, etc, that sort of thing as Piddy was talking about in some cases (I.E. Stuff to do) and it's in the works, but to completely make everything a variable timer is a bad idea.

Alot of 'bosses' were on variable timers, (aka different times they spawned) and most of the game hated it. Just to state it's a reason why it become OADs instead. I'd prefer more of a mix (some variable, some oad) etc though.

Terron

Postby Terron » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:30 pm

some of both would be good

set timers will be fine when theres more to pick from at each slot. imagine having to choose from 5 oads at 4 pm. yeah that will be the fun stuff
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Kruell

Postby Kruell » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 pm

One of the areas in game I designed was meant to have multiple variable timer bosses. I left before the system got put in place for the monsters to be able to do what I needed them to do. After the update hits, I hope to be able to either do a lot of things I once wanted or else convince someone else to implement them. Maybe we can even get the Phantom Foreman to walk the mines like he was meant to. Most advances to the code structure allows major upgrades and options for builders to utilize. For instance, I left just as monster scripting was being rolled out. I've seen the options build from simple monsters with easy drop chances to a pretty complex system that exponentially increased what can be done in game. Like I've said in other places, a lot of the issues people see as problems in this game can be fixed by creative builders.

NiteHawk wrote:This was also the idea but as I said I wasn't 100% certain it should be 'pickable' and instead should be random rerolls, kind of how Path of Exile does it. They allow you to reroll your gear, im not 100% sure how it works but I think it gets a higher and higher cost each time. The 'idea' was that to reroll/add prefix or suffix to your gear, you would need X dust, X being the rarity.

That's one of the systems that I like. I am totally against the idea of picking your prefix. Having the reroll with incremental cost adjustments is probably a good idea. Players can keep trying to get the modifier they want on the gear they have or keep killing the boss hoping for the right drop. As long as the items require to reroll can be gotten by anyone (not just those running the boss) then it should work just fine.
If you look like prey you will be eaten

Terron

Postby Terron » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:03 pm

i think u should be able to pick prefixes and suffixes but to get them is random when its crafted.

basically prefix and suffix are longterm crafts via enchant. once u "craft" one its modifier is rolled at random. then u can attach it to the weapon/armor

sockets would be shorter term crafts via enchant with small boosts (similar to rings).

and X amount of mods would be rolled when items drop. larger range modifiers so its hard to find perfect items
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Styx

Postby Styx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 pm

It's not just the boss timer spawn, it's the key spawn times also, most oads collate (or however it would be best worded ) so key times and boss spawn times are the same to be ran.

Guess we could do key expiration times of 30 minutes. But I git a bad feeling people would complain cause then they won't have enough time cause they want to do events also.

Keys were done to give time in completing a boss within a certain time period. And if people were finishing them then they could actually oad for most of the day through out, instead of just one or two oads.

Yep, could be possibly we do 30 min expiration on keys, but that would just make more saying they wanted to do events, times all clashing. But this way people have plenty of time to finish it.

All people have to do is get 1 key to stop others and or fight it out. It's the people's choice to decide what to do.

Return to “Archive Chat”