Prefix/Suffix. How to do it (MK II)

Lateralus

Re: Prefix/Suffix. How to do it (MK II)

Postby Lateralus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Think 1 and 2 are a good start and can add 3 down the road.

I think it’s more fun to have a enchanter type profession that has this spell book of enchantments they can put on items but it becomes over complicated very quick trying to decide what each spell is worth material wise so prob better to leave that off for now but maybe in the future.

You could still make a profession out of it and have diff levels etc

For example at the start you can only enchant greens then blues then purple as your skill level goes up. Also as you skill level goes up you have a better chance to produce a tier 2 or tier 3 enchantment on an item.

For balancing reasons I suggest we just target weapons and body armors.

Just my quick take will add more later.

Styx

Postby Styx » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Necromancer has no bless or scribe spells yet. .. just a thought if you have a class enchant

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm

I think sockets are a bit too complex. If we''re doing something like that I'd prefer it just being even level based or rarity based. There are some good ideas here. I did eventually want more embers, but that's up for another chat and it will probably work with one or two of the passive skills you can get.

Anyways, it could be one prefix/one suffix with a few minors on items. Let's start with the minor bonuses if we go this route (which seems like a good idea).

Minor bonuses could be like humming, except we also include HP, MP, and maybe MR? I would think that every item dropped would have a chance PER bonus type so we can make it interesting. These bonuses shouldn't be able to be rerolled and aren't part of prefix/suffix.

This means items could have like:
15% chance for AC (hum)
15% chance for HP
15% chance for MP
15% chance for MR

The gem would be to get items that have all bonuses, obviously. and then prefix/suffix would either be a random dice or maybe also part of the drop chance too. That wouldn't be a terrible idea. We just need to know all minor bonuses and the amount. and what value each is to be considered worthwhile. Maybe MR too. So these are random drops only, lets give items more value to farm the same/etc.

------

Then we also need to know what prefix/suffix we want. Don't worry about the boost to stats. I have an idea for this it won't be overpowered but will be worth while for everyone. So prefix/suffixes could be a bunch of things, including exp boost, gold boost, damage to classes or races, monster damage banes on types, male/female boosts, stat boosts, armor boosts, divinity boosts, hp/mp/mr, chance to boost certain spell types or skills, etc. We can prob start with one bonus per prefix or suffix and should really think what should be what.

I.E. Prefixes:
Against Race/Class Damage Boosts
Monster Bane Boosts
Male/Female Boosts
Divinity boosts

Suffixes:
Stat boosts
Armor Boosts
HP/MP/MR
Skill/Spell bonuses
EXP/GOLD boosts

I'm not sure what would go where or what boosts we should have obv. just making ideas here.

Base: Dagger
Prefix/Suffix: Burnning Dagger Of Power
Prefix: 1% night damage bonus
Suffix: +0.1 to str

Prefix/Suffix: Ghostly Dagger of Life
Prefix: 10% damage to undead mobs.
Suffix: +20HP

:shrug: need to define the prefix/suffixes. Or maybe instead of a prefix/suffix, just one suffix that can give multiple bonuses.

Dagger of Life
+15HP
+30MP

Dagger of the Giant
+10HP
+0.1STR
+2AC

etc. Though we're start with basic ones for sure. I'm not 100% on just one though, but it might be easier to balance.

Terron

Postby Terron » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:26 pm

sockets are easy you craft a gem with enchanting then CTRL and drag it lol. i know u got the ability to code this(embers work)

dont use embers for more shit its bad enough 80% of new characters are neutral. gunna be even more after div agi bonus/penalty is brought into the game
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Terron wrote:sockets are easy you craft a gem with enchanting then CTRL and drag it lol. i know u got the ability to code this(embers work)

dont use embers for more shit its bad enough 80% of new characters are neutral. gunna be even more after div agi bonus/penalty is brought into the game

IMO it's dumb to go neutral if you want to kill certain characters that can't go neutral divinity based.

Sockets suck. I'd rather just output the stats. Embers really aren't sockets, theres no fancy GUI to deal with them. It's a number/string var.

Terron

Postby Terron » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:54 pm

its your game do what u want, but everyone is going neutral for a reason. this also isnt my first rodeo. you will want armor and weapon mods to hit more playtime then just some fancy 15% when an item falls.

sockets are just mods that arent rolled when the item falls. gives players a reason to play the game outside of 6 boss spawns and key fights. they can build a few mods on a craftable that they want. most mods can be left random.

see the general idea here is to get people to PLAY the game. not just poke their ass in at 7am 12pm 2pm 4pm and 7pm.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:27 pm

Terron wrote:its your game do what u want, but everyone is going neutral for a reason. this also isnt my first rodeo. you will want armor and weapon mods to hit more playtime then just some fancy 15% when an item falls.

sockets are just mods that arent rolled when the item falls. gives players a reason to play the game outside of 6 boss spawns and key fights. they can build a few mods on a craftable that they want. most mods can be left random.

see the general idea here is to get people to PLAY the game. not just poke their ass in at 7am 12pm 2pm 4pm and 7pm.

Terron does raise a good point that somewhat delves into the wider discussion about the nature of the oading system etc. If access to prefix/suffix bonuses could be dropped by any mob (eg an enchant dust that drops like embers do) maybe It would motivate more general play by players (eg leveling, questing etc).... but I do agree that random drops of prefix/suffix bonuses on oad items are not going to motivate me to OAD more (at stupid hours for my Timezone) or want to grind out same OAD over and over more (too monotonous/repetitive and only accessible to super-guilds due to keys & spread out spawn times etc). At best I would try and buy the new items from AH. But if the prefix/suffix bonuses were somehow craftable or able to be slowly worked towards then it would give much more incentive to play more and work towards them for ppl who are casual players, in bad oad Timezones, or don’t want to join a super-guild factional warmachine. Peace.

Terron

Postby Terron » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:42 pm

i mean the reason hack n slash/mmo rpgs work is that you kill things alot. diablo 2 you could do boss runs in 30 seconds at times, or a couple minutes on poorer equipped stuff.

even if we had 10 oads next week and got this system inplace its literally only 10 rolls per day, if they even drop, and not everyone can enjoy it. thats the big one. i can log on an mmo and pick plants, farm gems, kill monsters for mats, kill bosses for rarer stuff, and use all that to progress an alt through crafting or something.

Hold my beer, im about to mud for 7 minutes its seta time... <---this isnt keeping people interested

Kruell

Postby Kruell » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 pm

When I just said sockets I was being general and didn't mean a GUI exactly. An ember fills a "socket" on an item. Having another type of modification that works like an ember is what I was suggesting. Having the crafting system work to "reroll' a prefix though is a good idea and would work well if, like embers, certain items are universal drops. This way players don't have to farm the OaD but can instead roam the world doing things and still get a chance to gain what they want.

As to having more "embers" affecting neutral divinity gameplay, good. While neutral div has it's bonus, there should be more drawback to playing neutral. Still, I do think there needs to be something neutral can do that divinity can't but that's another issue.

Using a prefix for a variable boost to different abilities or bonuses would be great. Systems that make people trade off between bonuses makes people think. You don't have 100 ninja's in a mosh all swinging the same thing. I'm sure people would play with an item that wasn't the top slot to have modifiers that are more useful. Making the suffix the "hard stat" modifier would simplify the system and allow people to strive for the combination they desire most. Maybe even throw in a suffix that raises the minimum or maximum damage by a step (similar to hum). A weapon "of Devastation" could even be a +1 over its base form.

Code some suffix/prefix that along with a bonus they have a negative. Something like a Axe of Fumbling that gives you a negative to hit but a bonus to damage. Not sure how well that would go over on a dagger though so might not be the best example.

You could always code it that the suffix is rolled first and if a "legendary" quality is selected then no prefix is assigned but the unique quality is applied to the name/ability.

Please have a suffix or prefix that gives a blocking boost or add a base chance.
If you look like prey you will be eaten

Terron

Postby Terron » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 pm

neutrals should be non event only (excluding moshes , class events , trivia)

mods and abilities on items as a whole is a grand idea. i just dont like the limiting to "pick 1 2 or 3" when the game needs more to do, outside of oads. amulets the same way, need to be dozens of options on every character and multiple ways to achieve most of that content, or the game is just stale.

Return to “Archive Chat”