44%
Yes! Change it!
56%

Total votes: 25
NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Backstabbing/Assassins n' Thieves

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Well, suppose we can leave both systems in. I'm not a fan of it but whatever. Would base it off an average player, which is probably around 1.2 to 1.4 seconds instead, maybe base the automation on INT between those times (don't have to again, but if not would be the average player moving). Moving would reset it (obviously) to cater for the people who want to move back n forth.

More of the vets seem to want it, I think mainly for old school ROK reasons as to me it doesn't make much sense, and .3 average for a BS (at least to me) doesn't effect the outcome immensely. And more of the newer players seem to be wanting the newer system. So in place I think a system that isn't based on the fastest but the average of a 'regular joe' player would be OK. And if you want to move to be faster, you can.

Lavelia

Postby Lavelia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:05 pm

I vote yet for changing it because moving back and forth is annoying as hell if you're on a square with one of those backstabby sorts. Plus it's a total pain to have to move, return, hide, then hit. It's the one thing I find super annoying to the degree that I don't even want to bother making an assassin. I have a thief and I play it very little mainly because backstabbing sucks so bad (doesn't help that. Out of all the class mechanics currently in game, that is one that I find the most annoying >.< So, erm, Boss! Please. Make them less annoying, mkay? Thanks!

Roxette

Postby Roxette » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 pm

What if you upped the damage at lower levels, and make backstabbing like a lvl 20+ skill? Just a thought.
Roxette Drow Ice Slayer - Co-Leader of Revolution - Manager of Fun Having!

Styx

Postby Styx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Tricky to up normal dammage cause backstab is based on normal attack. However not positive if possible but.

Could swords be given crit chance as others have suggested, so at low levels the chance for dammage etc instead of upping Dagger dammage.

I'm either way on making lvl 20 /backstab, but should be like 16, even druids have to wait for morph, as well as other classes for magic. However monks do get quick roundhouse... and couple others.

Eld

Postby Eld » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:57 am

NiteHawk wrote:Well, suppose we can leave both systems in. I'm not a fan of it but whatever. Would base it off an average player, which is probably around 1.2 to 1.4 seconds instead, maybe base the automation on INT between those times (don't have to again, but if not would be the average player moving). Moving would reset it (obviously) to cater for the people who want to move back n forth.

More of the vets seem to want it, I think mainly for old school ROK reasons as to me it doesn't make much sense, and .3 average for a BS (at least to me) doesn't effect the outcome immensely. And more of the newer players seem to be wanting the newer system. So in place I think a system that isn't based on the fastest but the average of a 'regular joe' player would be OK. And if you want to move to be faster, you can.

This sounds like the best compromise and could in effect act as a trial of the new system.

Either way i think we need to introduce some info for newbs on how to play the class, similar to what we did for rangers with the NPC in their guild.

Something that explains hide, backstab, autosneak, and track, as anyone who hasn't played rok would have trouble with this i think.

as mentioned before, any class that requires knowledge or skill to play (which ideally would be most of them) needs an ingame instruction system.

I think you mentioned a separate poll for this?

potential options:
-tutorial NPC (similar to ranger guild)
-interactive tutorial (similar to when you very first join the game)
-tutorial videos on main website, maybe linked from in game
-tutorial text or text and picture guide, in game or linked from in game.

Could potentially have options 1 and 3 to account for different learning types.

p. s. i don't see any benefit in removing backstab from lvl 8 and moving it to 16 or 20.
The backstab is a rogue's bread and butter, what if someone hates that mechanic but doesn't find out that's the only way their class attacks until lvl 20? makes no sense to me.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 am

The reason why some people want to keep it as is, is because they are good with the mechanic the way it is (for Tucker translate good as quick 8-) ). So it removes an advantage they have over slower people. I think it feels good to make a quickly co-ordinatated double backstab and pwn someone. I wouldn't know, snails have hair line triggered reflexes compared to me.

Two different methods for backstabbing will make both camps happy. Hurrah! Much rejoicing.

But my alternative was to add critical strikes to normal attacks (I consider this as part of the backstab attack). I see assassins (and thieves, although assassins should be better with this as they are with backstabs) as knowing where and when to strike at vulnerable points. If damage is an issue remove sword use from assassins. Chance or damage based on INT and/or AGL.

I would like to see the two backstab mechanics (with the new backstab speed slower than the faster slayers - based on NH request from yester, maybe in between the slow slayers and fast slayers) AND critical strikes! I am greedy (and needy) :D
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 am

Yeah keep the two systems for a while, as test. Then we can rerun the poll? I have no problem changing my mind on this, if the proposed system is better. Just not sure it is.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Styx

Postby Styx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:40 am

If I had a couple of slayers, and knowing how tedious is was for movement, and not wanting others to have a slayer, then I'd surely vote no so as to keep any new player from being able to have one. This is easily seen in some people's reactions of , it's to annoying to level, even if they want a slayer.

On a side note which is kinda on and off topic, could the /sneak skill be allowed?

Edit

I thought same square only means just so the slayers would only be able to fight on same square. Instead of a hit and run method which I've come to see used commonly now, this gives a slayer ability to heal up then return to the fight instead of just fighting. Kinda hard to guess if he doing a flyby backstab right after you take dammage from a monster.

Miach

Postby Miach » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

I am so against changing this in any way.

Adding delays (which no other character deals with) basically causes Slayers to BACKSTAB then auto attack twice because the damage would be quicker and more reliable.

As a Slayer main I am completely against this, current setup works fine. And the challenge of playing such a class is fine too.

Current search mechanic works fine.

Wish we could just lay this conversation to rest. No need to dumb down the mechanic.

Miach

Postby Miach » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 am

One edit. I do see a search delay being useful. But it favors everyone but the player being searched out.

Return to “Archive Chat”