Knight/Cavalier Mechanics

Cerebrus

Re: Knight/Cavalier Mechanics

Postby Cerebrus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 am

daedroth wrote:The thing about giving them more abilities is that you will need to change the exp needed to level them to keep balance. Right now they dont really have any other ability than hit points (and now taunt) so the low exp requirements make sense.

Using that logic, Monks need their exp dropped or some skills added lol. They literally have no skills

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:00 am

To me, I think taunt is going to be a pretty good thing on it's own. Having a knight in your party will probably make it alot easier to handle heals. They also get damage negation to both spells/physical while taunting. It might not be so great solo, but it's a pretty epic thing to have I think. Just we have not many areas to test it with yet where people want to party up.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:57 pm

I was talking with rayth the other day aND he had mentioned someth in g about all classes being the same exp requirement across the board. I know he was going to talk to chris about it but I never followed up on it to see of he did. Would be cool tho for each class to require the same exp and every class be important to a party and become it's own unique EO class.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Rodeo wrote:I was talking with rayth the other day aND he had mentioned someth in g about all classes being the same exp requirement across the board. I know he was going to talk to chris about it but I never followed up on it to see of he did. Would be cool tho for each class to require the same exp and every class be important to a party and become it's own unique EO class.

That\s tough to do right now because some classes 'are' alot easier to level then others I feel. Maybe when we're closer to all the abilities we'll see.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:09 pm

That would be awesome! Happy medium of 330 mill for.every class and a horse in every stable. Chris for king 2017

Kruell

Postby Kruell » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Yeah, we were discussing it. I've been a little busy with life but I've been trying to think how it could be balanced right now. As Chris says, with the current skillsets for the classes it would be a problem. I'm using my experience with table top and other games to try and figure out a "point" system that can be applied to the classes to gauge their strengths/weaknesses. Just a side project but nothing urgent.

In Alura we made it easy with each of the 10 races having their own version of the base 10 classes so we could tweak each one based on racial abilities as well. Sure, it meant we had 100 classes and the requisite files for each but it worked at the time. That is not an approach I recommend anyone take though....
If you look like prey you will be eaten

thirdchris

Postby thirdchris » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 am

seems weird to still be basing class strength on how much experience it needs to level. especially now that it's a factor that can be controlled. every knight should have a trusty steed. maybe it adds armor, health regen, i dunno. something. the steed should also be mentioned in the description and when you "arrive" in places, it should say "arrived on his trusty steed, (Horse Name).

give knights something to aspire to. by adding in a steed progression system, you can determine each knight's effectiveness based on what kind of mount it has. maybe the best mount allows for a very small chance at a "jousting" superattack or something.

Trento

Postby Trento » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 am

I agree... I think that, in the long term, equalizing the classes would be better for the game overall.
Then, one would make a character based on its "playability" or playing style... if one wants to be more tanky, healer, all about damage or more balanced like some classes we have. Like we have for most MMORPGs.

in RoK's old way, of course class's styles come into consideration, but in a major sense there's the premisses, for example, of "ninjas and slayers are better" and the 400 mil exp would just demonstrate it as "you need to pay a higher price for a better class". at the same time "cavaliers are weaker or less useful, thus its so much cheaper to level one".

I still think some classes will still be better at pvp, like ninjas or slayers like it's always been, and that might keep them as preferred. but still... there's probably room for a more balanced scenario e equalization between classes. all of the ideas brought up above for cav skills are a good example.

just my 2 cents :)
Alts
Doom - Berserker
Trento - Ninja
Corpse - Death Mage
Uruk - Assassin
Lancelot - Paladin

Frost

Postby Frost » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 pm

In general I really like the idea of all classes having some combat skills, I think this mixes up game-play a little and adds some decision making.

The exp requirement is also a representation of the class's damage output; ninja/slayers can do the most damage so therefore can level the quickest. This relates to two other game-play levers: killing mobs (grinding) is the primary leveling mechanic, pots are cheap and you are expected to use them endlessly. This means that a ninja/slayer has high damage output and an almost endless health pool.

The focus in RoK was always on an idea of solo leveling (set up macros, go and serve your time) to work towards an end game, primarily OaDs and social aspects. Putting aside the focus on grinding, increasing the cool-down on potions by even a few more seconds would greatly increase the need for grouping, tanks and support classes.

Looking at the current classes, the ones that should be able to solo level the most should be druids, necros, rangers and maybe bards. These are the pet classes or the classes with damage and sustain (could be wrong about bards, but you get the point). Some classes should probably be a bit harder to level just by their nature. For example, clerics might rely more on grouping that others.

Ultimately, a knight should be looking to group with damage and healing to level effectively. I know this is kind of MMO mechanics 101 but I really think some of the basic balancing of tank, damage, support and utility could improve gameplay. The shared group exp has already improved this game beyond RoK in my opinion. People don't play an online game to sit alone and hit f1, f2 , f3 etc.

If we equalize the exp tables for all classes, we can then look at each class one by one for balance and continue to do balancing changes overtime. I honestly think that an increase to potion cooldowns underpins any balancing though.
Last edited by Frost on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivor

Postby Ivor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:30 am

NiteHawk wrote:To me, I think taunt is going to be a pretty good thing on it's own. Having a knight in your party will probably make it alot easier to handle heals. They also get damage negation to both spells/physical while taunting. It might not be so great solo, but it's a pretty epic thing to have I think. Just we have not many areas to test it with yet where people want to party up.

Is taunt gonna get better while leveling up? cause while testing it thru lvls 15-18 , monsters hit me about the same as before the taunt,insignificant damage reduction. Also i found the duration kinda poor, a few more seconds would be nice, or, maybe use 2 attacks making it last longer, use 3 to make it last even longer.
Mac : they crash different

Return to “Archive Chat”