Traps and You

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Traps and You

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:46 am

This is an on going thing but I wanted to talk about traps.

ARMING>

Traps can be bought at a store, starting with Weak, Normal, Strong Traps. They will be divinity based to start. Traps will be settable by thieves. It will be intelligence based for success. You can place one per room, up to three rooms. Simple.

The biggest issue is how to prevent thieves from just killing new players, and the solution is rather then a set HP amount of damage, it should be percent based. For example, weak traps can do 10% damage, while Strong traps deal 20% damage. Proper div alignment gives 5% more, and negative div is -5% less.

That's really all their is too them in terms of setting. I think INT is a good place for it, so they require INT for trap setting.

COUNTERS>

Now, counters. First one will be airwalk. Airwalk is a sorceror based spell and will allow you to levitate over traps. This will also work for alot of room traps too, but not all of them. This does not trigger or disarm them however. They will be active if you go back, or if your airwalk runs out at the same room as a trap.

Second is disarming. Disarming will completely disarm the trap. Two classes will have this ability, thieves and rangers. This will be a passive skill, but will require the user to not be exhausted to work. It may take up a turn, and will be a toggle on/off if that is the case. (Not sure bout the toggle yet.) Disarming a player trap will have a chance to be salvaged. Disarming will require INT and AGI to do so, and simply having max AGI won't help, you'll need a high AGI race. (Aka 18 agi might be 15% disarm rate, while 23 agi might be 50%, if both INT is 20.)

I don't think this will be blocked anywhere. I can understand people worrying about new players, but to me, there is no difference to killing a low level vs this, because this only takes a % of HP. So it's not like new players will die.

I was thinking about special effect traps but I think that is too much at this time. I was thinking a stun trap would be a good party helper (Let's say stun for 1 round, aka 8 seconds.) but this is probably far too messy and new players won't escape at all, and will just die. So bad idea is bad.

Lateralus

Re: Traps and You

Postby Lateralus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:19 pm

i wouldnt mind seeing a trap or sell that holds a character in a room for a certain amount of time. maybe not stun but you are stuck in the room for a certain amount of time. Nightmist had a cool skill where a druid was able to summon an npc that was kill to pass type deal. figured this might work for a thief or assassin

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Fun idea.

How do we handle a trap when a party enters the room? It just hits the leader?
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:30 pm

Folder wrote:Fun idea.

How do we handle a trap when a party enters the room? It just hits the leader?

Would be just leader, otherwise to op I think.

Return to “Archive Chat”