Autoupdate

Kruell

Autoupdate

Postby Kruell » Fri May 27, 2016 6:30 pm

One of the features I enjoy with some games is the autoupdate feature. The way we did it on Alura was to have the program load in two phases. The first phase would do a self check for version and then check online for a version file (ip address was hardcoded). If the program discovered that a new version file was online it would prompt for to download and install. The autoinstallers were very easy to create and the program would exit for the installer to update. Once updated, the program would restart and go through phase 1... then move on to phase 2 and actually launch the game.

This way we could do everything from image patches to key client updates with very little effort needed from the players. As long as you don't go patch happy this is a nice thing to consider.
If you look like prey you will be eaten

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Autoupdate

Postby NiteHawk » Fri May 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Kruell wrote:One of the features I enjoy with some games is the autoupdate feature. The way we did it on Alura was to have the program load in two phases. The first phase would do a self check for version and then check online for a version file (ip address was hardcoded). If the program discovered that a new version file was online it would prompt for to download and install. The autoinstallers were very easy to create and the program would exit for the installer to update. Once updated, the program would restart and go through phase 1... then move on to phase 2 and actually launch the game.

This way we could do everything from image patches to key client updates with very little effort needed from the players. As long as you don't go patch happy this is a nice thing to consider.

We do have an auto installer, when you run the client it will notify you need to update and launch the auto updater. It doesn't relaunch the client right now, but it gets all the needed updates... Is that what you meant? The program you got the game in handles all updates.

I can get more technical on it and have it launch the auto-updater by its self, and have it run automatically/etc. But defo not on my priority list right now. But yeah, would be good.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Fri May 27, 2016 6:37 pm

I dunno about anyone else, but never once has the autoupdater launched itself after the login screen told me I need to update, I've had to open the folder up and launch the updater myself. x_x
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri May 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Satsujin wrote:I dunno about anyone else, but never once has the autoupdater launched itself after the login screen told me I need to update, I've had to open the folder up and launch the updater myself. x_x

When you login it will tell you have an older version. If you click the 'click to update' button at the bottom right it should launch. It doesn't auto launch, no.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Fri May 27, 2016 6:44 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
Satsujin wrote:I dunno about anyone else, but never once has the autoupdater launched itself after the login screen told me I need to update, I've had to open the folder up and launch the updater myself. x_x

When you login it will tell you have an older version. If you click the 'click to update' button at the bottom right it should launch.

I do that, no updater. I dunno if it's Windows 10 being dumb or user error, but that's how it ends up, with me navigating to my install folder and having to run it manually. You'd think I'd just make a desktop shortcut for it at this point.
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Kruell

Postby Kruell » Fri May 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Satsujin wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:

When you login it will tell you have an older version. If you click the 'click to update' button at the bottom right it should launch.

I do that, no updater. I dunno if it's Windows 10 being dumb or user error, but that's how it ends up, with me navigating to my install folder and having to run it manually. You'd think I'd just make a desktop shortcut for it at this point.

See, now this is information the coder needs. :P I just installed yesterday so no chance to check what it does for me. If it isn't working for others maybe they should speak up. It might be a Win 10 thing.
If you look like prey you will be eaten

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri May 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Could be install directory and UAC. Where did you install it?

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Fri May 27, 2016 7:33 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Could be install directory and UAC. Where did you install it?

C:\Ember Online is the folder it's in. My account on the computer is the admin account, so admin rights shouldn't be the issue I don't think. I can reinstall elsewhere if it might help though.
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri May 27, 2016 7:39 pm

Satsujin wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:Could be install directory and UAC. Where did you install it?

C:\Ember Online is the folder it's in. My account on the computer is the admin account, so admin rights shouldn't be the issue I don't think. I can reinstall elsewhere if it might help though.

So it doesn't launch? No errors or? I know back then it had issues but shoulda been fixed now.

Edit: With this new version just give it a shot and run it as admin. (Next time it claims) Just to rule that out.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Fri May 27, 2016 7:44 pm

No errors or anything, just sits there for a bit and does nothing, so I go and open it manually. It's more of a minor annoyance than an actual problem for me though.
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Return to “Archive Chat”