Events/Quests

Thoth

Events/Quests

Postby Thoth » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 am

So it seems a good beginning is out there and there is even headway being made which is awesome. I have no current ideas but I am willing to ask questions. What kind of content is this game going to be as for things like quests? I take it the game still has the fantasy D&D aspects of it so will quests be based off this?

Will the exact same quests be lifted from RoK considering they are fully written but never completed? Or shall we write up new ones? More RP? Less RP? Should quest wins be based more off choices made and less on fighting and the KS? Dropstealing items still a thing or should it be worked out the way Yue was pursuing it that stick fingers (DSers), KSers, AND best RP solutions get an item?

Will the events be the same types of events ran from RoK? Will there have to be new ones written up or should the old ones be revamped with a fine tooth examination of the rules? The awarding system...what should be rewarded if it's not the same type of token system as RoK? If it is the same system as RoK then should the token items be revamped every umpteen (4 to 6?) months with new items and stats for those items (banes race and div? stat mods? spell mods?) so that items don't get stale? Should these items have the ability to be made and unmade so you can cycle them into different items? If crafting is made more simple like was being stated in the other thread then should the token system be integrated into it in some measure or should it remain separate? For the lulled periods of the game when people are not on as much should there be events that cater to smaller groups of 3+ with smaller rewards like the shards or is there another idea for what small rewards can be? New cars?

I think that's enough questions for now but Chris you need to let us know first how much of this is possible based on some of the responses and how much of it is EASILY doable versus having to invest countless years on a spreadsheet on Google Drive. I don't mind the work....but I'd like to know it may remain actively used, useful, and interesting for the players to keep returning.
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Events/Quests

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:38 am

Thoth wrote:So it seems a good beginning is out there and there is even headway being made which is awesome. I have no current ideas but I am willing to ask questions. What kind of content is this game going to be as for things like quests? I take it the game still has the fantasy D&D aspects of it so will quests be based off this?

Will the exact same quests be lifted from RoK considering they are fully written but never completed? Or shall we write up new ones? More RP? Less RP? Should quest wins be based more off choices made and less on fighting and the KS? Dropstealing items still a thing or should it be worked out the way Yue was pursuing it that stick fingers (DSers), KSers, AND best RP solutions get an item?

Will the events be the same types of events ran from RoK? Will there have to be new ones written up or should the old ones be revamped with a fine tooth examination of the rules? The awarding system...what should be rewarded if it's not the same type of token system as RoK? If it is the same system as RoK then should the token items be revamped every umpteen (4 to 6?) months with new items and stats for those items (banes race and div? stat mods? spell mods?) so that items don't get stale? Should these items have the ability to be made and unmade so you can cycle them into different items? If crafting is made more simple like was being stated in the other thread then should the token system be integrated into it in some measure or should it remain separate? For the lulled periods of the game when people are not on as much should there be events that cater to smaller groups of 3+ with smaller rewards like the shards or is there another idea for what small rewards can be? New cars?

I think that's enough questions for now but Chris you need to let us know first how much of this is possible based on some of the responses and how much of it is EASILY doable versus having to invest countless years on a spreadsheet on Google Drive. I don't mind the work....but I'd like to know it may remain actively used, useful, and interesting for the players to keep returning.

I like the RP aspect, RoK had a good balance to interest both the RP'er and the stabby stabber. I think for bigger items it should be given tot he KS'er for the most case or after a few 'stories' in a quest give them out to the top 3 people with the most 'quest points'. I'm fine with using quests that were never used in ROK. Drop-stealing and items is a whole different topic though that we'll get into the future.

For events, I was going to integrate something called Prestige Points. These are like our point system in ROK, except directly in the game. Special items can be purchased with them, but they can be traded as well. I was thinking of adding them for special things too, like monster characters, renaming your character, etc. This way too it can be easily monitored too.

I think the events like TGC and moshes should be run, they may be able to be automated too. I'd still obviously like manual events for special ones, but we could do like a daily TGC or Mosh that's automated, and then if a event staffer wants to run something else, they can too. Any old or new event can be added to manually events too and be run as we used to do. I can make unique rooms that disallow certain things on a need basis to make it fair and alot easier to manage. The amount of points given can be dependent on how big the team is and how many people are in it.

Crafting and this system should be completely different. These items are non-upgradeable and we can add more as we see fit, or better ones.

As a random point out, I'll have all commands done by any staffer logged, and viewable to any other staffer. There isn't a reason to hide anything a staffer does, seems fair enough that way. I think any unique or rare item should have a logging when its dropped or given too.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:46 am

When it comes to div weapons they should be best Oad plus 1 in power and not a div bonus but a weapon proc spell % of fire storm ice ect for whatever div out there so these items cannot 1 shot an player consistently.

Racial banes are good if kept low % wise.

Leveling tools with a bonus on a certain monster would be a cool addition later for people who level alot.

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 am

So you are going to actually integrate the PP system (like pre-tokens?) into the game itself so it stays recorded? I think that's an awesome idea. It works in tandem with having any and all actions by players/staff recorded. It would deter abuse and also make any infraction a noted thing on the server. So if there is abuse of tames or handing out items or whatever it is easily caught and handled. Also less work than having to record an entire event and upload it etc etc.

So for using quests that were never used for RoK does that include half run quests? Because there were atleast two in the process that never finished getting run and from the words or Esteban and Eric their quests weren't even at the halfway point if even remotely close to it at all. Are those things we can lift and rerun for the first X months until new ones are written up?

I LOVE the idea of adding certain special things like renamed crits or monster characters.....monster weapons maybe too? Are custom items going to become a thing in terms of pic and description (stats should not be in a player's hands to manipulate unless it's sensible ofc?)

The return of a "Kaos" bot.....will that mean mini-quests, invasions, and events?

I'm not sure how advanced weapons should be handed out Wayne especially considering it gives a distinct advantage not only in leveling but PvP as well. That said....is there a way to equalize how these are handed out so a new player stands as much of a chance as a vet with a thousand nice items?

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:56 am

I'm all for the idea of more events that aren't PVP. Trivia (once the game's a little further along and we've gotten an established lore), storytelling, scavenger hunts, the kinds of things that would give those of us who either can't or don't want to PVP, as well as newer players once we start getting them, a chance to earn these points.

That was my main complaint with the event system on ROK, all that ever got run was PVP events, which were more often than not won by people who had brills of their own or had friends with brills they could jack, which created this massive imbalance in wealth that just kept getting bigger as more events were won and more tokens got awarded.

Quest wise, I think a point system might be good for that too. Give a quest item to the person who gets the kill, but give participants a few points for fighting and roleplaying, with bonus points awarded for most consistent roleplay or whatever arbitrary reasons you'd give them. The points should be separate from the event points (call them Story Points maybe?) and probably award different items when redeemed, but them being another way to get PVP gear would be interesting.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 am

You'd probably have to have restriction item rooms. I think all items should have a special 'type' that can be defined. I.E. 'Quest/Rare', 'OAD', 'Store-Bought', etc. I'm just throwing random types out there, can be more specific once I actually get into it, but then could have it so if they have any of those items on them, they cannot enter, aka it won't warp them.

And yeah that's fine for quests..

I think minimum regardless in most events should be OADs though. For more 'events' anyways. Maybe for under level 25 events or something you can do less then OAD, but I think it was never that much of a problem in ROK.

In regardless to items, though not specific to this topic (well I guess for quest items and under), I intend on being a bit more fun with items. Kind of like balanced PRE-ROK, but still have fun banes and divinity weapons. Maybe uniqueness to them too on other ones. I still have the script system so you can essentially make any item possible that has some sort of uniqueness to it, which will be cool for QUEST weapons rather then the boring +1 or +2 to OADs. You could make a poision dagger for thieves, or a weapon that does higher damage at night, blahblah. Things like that. But it's pretty limitless on that regard. Don't wanna get into this part yet until we have a stable game though 8)

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:19 am

Just wanted to stick this part of what you said in the Maps thread here because it is absolutely a great idea to start out small and expand as the players expand in some respects. Quests created with a storyline to literally expand the map like what Tanjir did for Syndar in the beginning.

Satsujin wrote:After we've got a stable product and player base, moving the central hub to another town might make more sense, especially if we go with someone's suggestion to make crossing the mountains a storyline quest to expand the world space.

Just bear in mind also moving the central hub means that new players won't know where to go for things like advice. I actually always liked that Terra and Duskan were so close and that Duskan became a center of the universe. So being a new player when you are able to actually get up and through the area leading to Duskan you've got a nice pleasant surprise of other players en masse. I still maintain though a presence will be needed in the starter town wherever that may be.

Also....Thoth = Byr

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:41 am

When the game is up and running I am guessing alot of the events being ran will be Jr events cause it will be a little while before anyone is max level. I also wanna apply for event staff and give it another Crack with a fresh perspective

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:17 am

I don't think Staff is quite a thing yet. He hasn't spoken to any previous people about it so I doubt this is high up on the list. Especially Events/Quests since it'd be a bit moot to run something for Level 1's. It'd be fun....but moot. MOOT!

Also....Thoth = Byr

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:42 am

I was thinking long term more into the future. :lol:

Return to “Archive Chat”