Variant Classes.

daedroth

Variant Classes.

Postby daedroth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:58 am

This is just a rough idea. It could be used as a way to introduce new concepts for a pre-existing class.

Basically when a character has made the exp for 8th level they have a career path.
For example, a knight could have the choice of Blitzer, Standard, Blocker.
Blitzer would be a more offence orientated knight, Standard would obviously be the standard knight now in use, the Blocker could be a defensive build (maybe even giving it protect, in other words different skills/spells than normal).
Those are not recommendations btw, just a very rough example of possibilities.

Take this or idea or not, your choice :D
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Aieron

Re: Variant Classes.

Postby Aieron » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Personally, I'm big on adding more diversity with character development. A few in-development MMOs I'm following allow for sub-classes or training into multiple classes at rudimentary level vs full class mastery. (Examples: Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria, and Tree of Savior).

I think it'd be interesting if you could pick up some minor skills from specific classes and mix/match a bit. For instance, say I'm a max level Knight and want to learn tracking skills? Obviously, I couldn't track as well as a thief or assassin, but I don't see why I couldn't learn a trick or two.

Alternatively, I'd rather a job/profession system before making classes super complex. The biggest thing RoK lacked due to coding constraints was proper crafting systems, and a market place. I love the idea of playing my Enchanter as an alchemist and selling potions that are better than shops.

Zilveari

Postby Zilveari » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Tree of Savior might have over 9000 classes... but the game itself is pretty bad it sounds like.

Aieron

Postby Aieron » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Zilveari wrote:Tree of Savior might have over 9000 classes... but the game itself is pretty bad it sounds like.

Most enjoy it, but the publisher for NA screwed up A LOT so you'll see lots of hate for it. Anyways, it's just an example of one way of adding more character depth. I was thinking about this last night after catching up with NiteHawk, and I realized that I enjoyed playing multiple alts on RoK because every class was far too simple. I could see myself preferring 1 alt if my Knight does more than autoattack 4 times and wait for the next round haha.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Not a big fan of complicating things much more we are already going to have trouble balancing what we are let alone 3x more classes. On top of that to the casual player it's pretty overwhelming to have a decision like that and keep track of all those branches.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:00 pm

I agree with randy the more complex things are the harder to balance simplicity is what made rok fun and popular we can try additions once we got our base in but I have played batmud it's a classless mud where you can learn all kinds of skills and it was really complex I think what we all want to avoid is when/if we he t new players they need to feel that they can play right from the start instead of trying to figure out a complex system and making mistakes and either A. Having to remake or B. Having to pay to reset. I know everyone wants all the bells and whistles but simplicity will be our friend.

Aieron

Postby Aieron » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Completely disagree that RoK's simplicity is a good thing to mimic. It worked back then, sure, and we love the nostalgia of it, but there are games my 5yr old nephew plays that boast more complexity and appeal. I'm not saying you need 300 subclasses or a thousand systems, but I'd say it's foolish to think that mimicking the simplicity of a 20yr old game is good.

As for saying that you want it easy for new players to get into that just comes with good system/game design.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Aieron wrote:Completely disagree that RoK's simplicity is a good thing to mimic. It worked back then, sure, and we love the nostalgia of it, but there are games my 5yr old nephew plays that boast more complexity and appeal. I'm not saying you need 300 subclasses or a thousand systems, but I'd say it's foolish to think that mimicking the simplicity of a 20yr old game is good.

As for saying that you want it easy for new players to get into that just comes with good system/game design.

A well balanced game with fewer yet solid options in my mind is better than tons of unbalanced options. Keep in mind we have 1 person coding and balancing this whole game not a team of 10-100 industry pros.

I'm not saying we shouldn't expand down the road but I'm saying its a good idea to get a solid balanced core first.

Aieron

Postby Aieron » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Lateralus wrote:
Aieron wrote:Completely disagree that RoK's simplicity is a good thing to mimic. It worked back then, sure, and we love the nostalgia of it, but there are games my 5yr old nephew plays that boast more complexity and appeal. I'm not saying you need 300 subclasses or a thousand systems, but I'd say it's foolish to think that mimicking the simplicity of a 20yr old game is good.

A well balanced game with fewer yet solid options in my mind is better than tons of unbalanced options. Keep in mind we have 1 person coding and balancing this whole game not a team of 10-100 industry pros.

I'm not saying we shouldn't expand down the road but I'm saying its a good idea to get a solid balanced core first.

Yeah, I agree with that. Never implied it's needed -now-. :P

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:58 pm

I never implied now either btw :D
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”