random quests/occurences

daedroth

random quests/occurences

Postby daedroth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:55 am

ok had some minor ideas, feedback appreciated btw (the good the bad and the ugly)

random bar brawls:
possibly just in more lawless towns, npc spawns drunk and arugmentative, if you talk to him he takes the piss out of you, which could lead you to fighting with him and his friends, basically talking to him is a quest, it could be mentioned in the dialogue that he is with drunk friends
level of encounter relevant to location
person, has a random chance of spawning in a pub
if ignored after a period of time s/he despawns

random traders:
in pubs or the street like the bar brawl, people selling random items, could be crap items at high price (swindlers)

ambushes:
for places like linwood and maybe the roads to/from, this one could be a pain in the ass
random (SMALL, very small chance) of being ambushed, the only way i can think of it working out is basically if the ambush occurs, you become EXH, so basically you will be there for at least a round, random group of thugs spawn,
optional: minor quest, they ask for money or your life kinda thing
like i said this would probably get complained about due to people wanting to just run back to town
also if the person after the turn just buggers off and no one else is there, after a set period of time the ambushes slink back into the shadows
also also people on autosneak will probably never get bothered
sorta linked, someone from the rooftops of linwood shoots a crossbow at you! (attack roll to avoid?)

fences:
random chance in alleys or the dumpster of some dodgy fence appearing with good/s to sell
if ignored after a period of time s/he despawns

random npc's:
adventure groups/thugs walking streets in towns
if ignored after a period of time s/he/they despawn

some of this random stuff could be used as the usual, deliver this, find that, kill the foozle, pickpockets, find item/gold etc etc
could be all linked ie: random chance of occurence, occurence table check, occurence happens

anyway... just ideas, also probably script heavy, game bloating crap
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Cerebrus

Re: random quests/occurences

Postby Cerebrus » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:05 am

I like the idea of a weekly or monthly shadowy figure who appears and has special rare items that can be bought for large sums of gold. Maybe each week/month his inventory of items changes and he never spawns in the same spot. He spawns for 24hrs then disappears again until next time.

Reminds me of the Nine on Destiny (PlayStation game) there's a sales man who spawns once a week and sells legendary unique items that can only be bought from him.

Maybe we could create a special kind of currency that he accepts (not gold) that you would have to get from oad boss drops or events (a special coin or something) or randomly hidden throughout the world in "treasure chests" players could /search on a square and find a treasure chest that they could open. It could hold 1 coin or it could hold 10 coins or it could hold something as simple as gold or vendor trash.

For instance he could sell
Blade of Life (chance to return 2-3% up upon hit)
Cost 5 legendary coins
Then you wouldn't see the Blade of Life being sold for another month or two and next time he shows up he's selling a new item
Helm of Sight (upon equip, wearer gains night vision)

And as said he could spawn randomly anywhere in the world. Changes each time.

I think it would be an awesome feature and something for players to work towards. Makes them have to stick around and gather the coins from oad areas or events.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:39 pm

Good ideas Cerebrus. It could even be a first come first served kind of thing, with him randomly moving (warping to a new location) every # amount of time until his timer runs out. One problem is would he spawn in oad sections? Would it be set locations (not so good) or randomized completely. What places would be out of bounds.
Eh ok, need to go eat my food n put kiddies to bed.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Cerebrus

Postby Cerebrus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:36 am

No not oad area's, would have to give him boundaries

Bron

Postby Bron » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:46 am

That is a great idea. I think the restrictions being that he only spawn in non-pvp rooms outside of cities.

So no room in a city, no room in an OAD area, no room out in the wilderness. Not sure how many rooms are like this, but I think I have come across at least 3 - 4 so far. Just so you can't log in in a city and check him or alt hop around to the alts you have in spread out cities. And you have to actually run out to corners of the world to look for him.
But what fun is destruction if no "precious" lives are lost.

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 am

Actually could be kinda fun to have him spawn in normal pvp rooms. Maybe I wanna ambush people there!

Good idea overall, I definitely like it. Have to figure out a good way to balance the items he sells though...if they are too weak no one will bother, and you don't want the strongest items to be bought from a vendor (I think anyways).
<Silhouette>

Bron

Postby Bron » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Nah, then the Vendor will just become dominated by the best PKers and newer players will just stop trying to visit them.

I would say item wise, alternates would be good. And they should cost a high amount of gold, at least around what you want OAD's to run, so it can kind of keep prices stable as well.

Like if the OAD sword is 16-23, then they could sell a sword that is 18-21. Not necessarily "better" but has a similar average. Also remember if you don't make them at least as good as OAD's or something the vendor will quickly become unused. Cause everyone in the game will eventually be in full OAD's at the least.
But what fun is destruction if no "precious" lives are lost.

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Ya that sounds about right for item power. May take a while to figure out gold costs, or prestige points if we went that route. I think some of the items Cerebrus mentioned are more like quest items, probably tone it down from those. Or go that route and have his spawn be very very rare, as well as implementing a limited inventory system for him so not everyone can go buy the same item.

I think an area with high pk probability is fine (I'd even argue it's a good thing, promotes people getting out and large battles happening), and if we're talking about the vendor having items = to the best oads I don't think it would be inexperienced players looking to buy them. I dislike safe areas, boo on them.
<Silhouette>

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Eh... could even attack a quest to it (maybe random chance of a quest) You know, go get me item x and i will give you item y.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”