Phone client

Styx

Phone client

Postby Styx » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:50 am

With all the phone apps comming along, what about an app for phones to play ember?

A phone app could increase the number of players and popularity.

What does everyone else think?

This is of course all dependant on time etc for nighthawk etc.

Satsujin

Re: Phone client

Postby Satsujin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 am

This has been pretty firmly established as something that'll happen in the future. We need the new PC client and endgame content first though, so it's possible this won't happen until summer at the earliest. Also more likely to be optimized for tablets than phones. Bigger screens and all that.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:07 am

Agreed on the tablet bit, there's too much going on to fit into phone format imo. Unless someone is a wizard at UI work I don't see it happening. Tablet could work for sure though.
<Silhouette>

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:49 pm

A phone format would generally be eh, maybe in the future but I dunno. It could work but it would feel pretty limited compared to the full client.

The new client is using Glade/GTK3/Mono, which should work on all OS and I believe it's workable on tablets too. It should work on phones too but again phone clients require something completely different. It would work out fine with tablets though but I'd have to figure out and understand how touch screen applications work and probably make it work nicer with tablets.

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Main issue with tablets is issuing commands. You could have an interface for touch movement and touch attacking, ok. Communicating is rough, selecting different spells can be hard, attacking faded players is...yeah. The game simply works 100x better with a keyboard. I think maybe an implementation could be done but it would require some seriously good UI work to make it happen.
<Silhouette>

Styx

Postby Styx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:00 am

The phone version would be scaled down yes, movement could be done using the same way some big games do it, put a icons for n,e,w,s,u,d most needed would be a map for movement, icons can be program able so you can click icon to attack, as long as text screen size was reduced I think it would be posibke, programming could be done through Google Apps store? I'm not positive on the sdk required

Return to “Archive Chat”