Font colors for chat text

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Font colors for chat text

Postby NiteHawk » Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 pm

It's probably apparently that I'm not great at picking colors towards everything, attacking, chat, system messages, etc.

What I'd like is some people to sit down and figure out the best colors for alot of scenarios, PMs, chats, etc.

>>> NiteHawk <<< is paging you from Sleeping Bard Inn: d

Would be an example, though be better if we had a black background so maybe do it in google docs. I virtually need a general set of colors for everything, attacking etc. I also mean the FORMAT too. for example on PMS, the format is >>> PLAYERNAME <<< is paging you from AREANAME: MESSAGEHERE.

I LIKE when colors change for important stuff, I.E. when you gain gold, the amount of gold is a different color from the text. Attack damage, player who is attacking and player who is being attacked, etc.

Who wants to take a whirl at this? I think we need an overhaul. Remember I can create more colors and different colors very easily. Doesn't need to use the current colors. Takes a RGB format 8)

Bron

Re: Font colors for chat text

Postby Bron » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:12 pm

I was just looking for this kinda of stuff.

I know it would be a lot of options, but the game seems to have access to quite a few font colors. Would it be at all feasible to allow the users to pick out the colors they want to use for what type of text?

Not sure if you are familiar with the mIRC client, but I enjoy it for this. Here is the pic of the window. Obviously would need to change the options be like Default text, Names, Skills, Spells, Gold, Items, etc.. this way it would make it easier on some peoples eyes as well as anyone who is color blind can choose the best colors that work for them.

coloridea.JPG
coloridea.JPG (33.64 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
But what fun is destruction if no "precious" lives are lost.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:05 am

Bron wrote:I was just looking for this kinda of stuff.

I know it would be a lot of options, but the game seems to have access to quite a few font colors. Would it be at all feasible to allow the users to pick out the colors they want to use for what type of text?

Not sure if you are familiar with the mIRC client, but I enjoy it for this. Here is the pic of the window. Obviously would need to change the options be like Default text, Names, Skills, Spells, Gold, Items, etc.. this way it would make it easier on some peoples eyes as well as anyone who is color blind can choose the best colors that work for them.

coloridea.JPG

Technically you can change the colors in the interface right now. I get you want it to be specific per message but that probably will be a hassle in this case since you can simply adjust colors. I prefer it this way anyways, however, you can change what each color does. I.E. ~1 could be grey but you can change it to something else.

The new client can probably have a popup to change what each ~ color does though.

Bron

Postby Bron » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:19 am

Where in the interface can you adjust colors, maybe I am just not seeing it?

Also the ~# just changes the text I input in to the chat box, which was not at all what I was talking about. Nor was I trying to refer to the text embedded in to the interface itself, I was just referring to the text inside the chat box.

Edit: I am referring to stuff like the following..

[12:51] ((( Bron ))) is paging you from Ward Lane (Seamoor): Color test
[12:51] <Arena> You are in the arena. The arena exits to the south onto Ward Lane.
[12:51] You pull the chain, and a Crab appears!
[12:51] A crab attacks you with its pinchers and misses!
[12:51] You attack a crab with your oad sword for 180 points of damage!
[12:51] A crab was slain by Bron!
[12:51] You gain 850 gold for killing a crab!

So you have a default auto text that is Cyan. Names are White, Damage# is red, Gold# is yellow, DeathLine is Magenta, extra text in pages is green, the actual page is green, the room name is blue, the parenthesis are blue, the Name of the person pages you is off blue. Room names off lime green, room text is white, directions are cyan.

It is just a huge rainbow of colors and it strains the eyes of anyone reading it for long periods of time.

The menu example I was trying to get across would be like the following.
Room Names: (color)
Room Descriptions: (color)
Directions: (color)
Default Text: (color)
Enemy Names: (color)
Own Name: (color)
Other Players: (color)
Damage: (color)
Gold: (color)
Pages: (color)

Right now, you can change all text that is blue to the same color, all text that is red, etc.. But you can't change the actual place where that color is occurring. So if I changed all the magenta text to gray (easier on the eyes) it would also change some of the alerts. And then, I really don't need battle text in red, the names and damage/miss alert me to that, well that can be gray too. EXCEPT now.. damage done is also gray.. so except for the name that whole sentence becomes gray.. that doesn't work.. but I don't need to look at a rainbow.

So if you all you can do is change the color that those items call upon you lose any distinction between some VERY different things the game is pointing out to you.

Edit2: So if all "types" of text the game sends were grouped in to the same color, then the method currently in place would work pretty well. So if all Errors/Alerts were magenta, All Directions were blue, All extra text was white (room descriptions/"is paging you from"/info). If all errors/alerts were Magenta, you could change the Magenta ~# to Red, and you wouldn't have to worry about well now.. all movement is red too. Because they would have been calling up separate colors instead of the same.

And that way if there is a menu for color changes, instead of going Alerts are ~6 which is #FFFFFF and you have to change what ~6 is. The game would just say Alerts : #FFFFFF, then you can change whatever the color is. Even if in the actual game file it just changed ~6, but that would be fine cause that would only affect the color that Alerts/Errors use.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 am

I don't think I feel the same way when it comes to colors. I do agree some colors need adjusting though in terms of 'types' as you say so they are more similar (I.E. Alerts being magenta, errors being magenta, etc.) The whole color system would need revising though and I'm not really going to bother with this for quite awhile as I think their are more pressing matters to deal with. What can be done now though is making certain things a set or standard color until then though. I agree the whole 'types' idea is a good one, and there has to be some way to revert to the original 'type' color' too as right now alot of messages change color here and there so if a type color was changed it generally needs to be able to change back if someone uses a custom color here and there.

However, people got really upset about the damage colors when they were one color. People wanted to be able to tell things like being attacked vs attacking vs not (Cyan for everything but damage against you was the general idea, which will be red against you.). Then people said they want to be able to different between private messages/cc/party so green was used there. It used to be cyan though.

So in terms of the actual colors used, again I think some colors could be adjusted, but I think players really want the colors to be able to tell apart different things. Would like people to comment on this though if I'm wrong or not. Possibly even suggest some colors too and I can at least make some temp adjustments for now.

Types would help the above, I.E. default can be something what it is bar some color changes, which would be good in the long run though, I agree.

I can say this though, people want to be able to tell different things apart in the message, so colors do need to change for certain things, for example gold when withdrawing, or when you kill a mob is gold for example. I highly disagree with one color for the message itself. I.E.
You just got 50 gold!

vs

You just got 50 gold!.

So if anything there also has to be subtypes too or something. I'd simply hate one bland color for the whole message and I think certain things should pop out.

Edit> The interface colors have to be changed in the interface file itself. there is an INI file in ProgramData/Ember Online at the moment. There is no other way to change it right now.

Bron

Postby Bron » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:04 am

I agree with you, that there is no reason only one solid color has to be used for a whole message. I like the gold being highlighted, I'd like to even see it as something like.

You just got 50 gold!

I agree it isn't a priority over actual mechanics, but it was a question posed on the forums. If things were divided in to categories for colors it would work fine, yea it would probably be a lot of editing, but right now you can't change the color of one thing without changing the color for half a dozen other things that have nothing to do with the first thing.

Right now, I can kind of see the following catergories.
Room Name - lime
Room Description - white
Directions - cyan
Combat - cyan
Combat on you - red
Your # damage - red
Damage # to you - white
Names in combat - white
#gold - yellow
Misses - yellow
Other players color in a room : green
Pages: green
Rooms within Pages: Blue
Text between name and room in page : green
Person paging you name: dark blue
You name when sending page: light blue

I think once staff decided on turning it down to 20 or so categories it would make it easy to make a menu and allow the players to adjust colors as they see fit. Right now you just can't adjust the color of one thing, because the same color is used for so much. :)

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Yeah makes sense for that. Having a set amount of categories and such to adjust would be a good idea.

I'd like to adjust the current colors though too for now, but I need to see on what to adjust on things.

Return to “Archive Chat”