Interface

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Interface

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:52 pm

The interface is way to close to ROK. I know some of you guys would enjoy that, and I'll leave the Kaos skin theme for people who want to use the similar feel version, but I feel we need to add some features or change some things around.

The interface can be changed COMPLETELY. I made a system where everything can be moved, sized, and styled. For example this was the interface a couple days ago:

soe.jpg
soe.jpg (121.47 KiB) Viewed 7250 times

this is the current interface (using something lat made, it's not the Kaos theme lat made but its' similar.)

x2.jpg
x2.jpg (165.05 KiB) Viewed 7250 times

It's very similar, but I feel it's outdated and could use some improvements. The interface can use PNG, so it can use transparency and other things. I obviously cut down on alot of things SOE had, as I know people thought it was over complicated, I.E. the popup windows for interface/etc.

I'd like to know some things. For example, what should we add? Are there some SOE interface features that people liked (For example, the sidebar with the icons on it to open up things like the OPTIONS, WORLD MAP, and other things.)

I 'do' like the n/w/s/e compass that SOE had, but I'm not sure if anyone else did (It involves telling you what direction you can go, maybe something smaller would be nice but I don't know where to place it yet.). Maybe someone can work that in somehow if people enjoy that still. Could be smaller, and look nicer? Maybe some people perfer the image being on the left side, and stats in the middle. Maybe the buttons can be moved, shaped better, etc.

If someone wants to, they could design something using photoshop, and I can cut and splice as much as I can. If you do that, keep it as a PSD file so I can handle the transparencies. It would be awesome if someone could come up with an idea for the interface, and input is really needed on this. I like the style of how it's done, I think it can be improved though. I want to avoid popups though this time around and make it simple in that regard. Maybe the interface can be a bit more '2.0' and bubbly.

Please note the interface doesn't scale yet, it will though. I am aiming to have a few sizes.

Here is a compact mode too, for chat only but I suppose you can play too this way:

smallinterface.png
smallinterface.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 7250 times

The interface options are pretty interchangeable. Everything can be enabled or disabled too (as the compact mode shows).

Dorgon

Re: Interface

Postby Dorgon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:22 pm

I have no talent here, but can you tell me about SoE? Never played it and can't look it up since all I get is sony online

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:05 pm

NiteHawk wrote:
It's very similar, but I feel it's outdated and could use some improvements. The interface can use PNG, so it can use transparency and other things. I obviously cut down on alot of things SOE had, as I know people thought it was over complicated, I.E. the popup windows for interface/etc.

I'd like to know some things. For example, what should we add? Are there some SOE interface features that people liked (For example, the sidebar with the icons on it to open up things like the OPTIONS, WORLD MAP, and other things.)

I 'do' like the n/w/s/e compass that SOE had, but I'm not sure if anyone else did (It involves telling you what direction you can go, maybe something smaller would be nice but I don't know where to place it yet.). Maybe someone can work that in somehow if people enjoy that still. Could be smaller, and look nicer? Maybe some people perfer the image being on the left side, and stats in the middle. Maybe the buttons can be moved, shaped better, etc.

If someone wants to, they could design something using photoshop, and I can cut and splice as much as I can. If you do that, keep it as a PSD file so I can handle the transparencies. It would be awesome if someone could come up with an idea for the interface, and input is really needed on this. I like the style of how it's done, I think it can be improved though. I want to avoid popups though this time around and make it simple in that regard. Maybe the interface can be a bit more '2.0' and bubbly.

Please note the interface doesn't scale yet, it will though. I am aiming to have a few sizes.

Here is a compact mode too, for chat only but I suppose you can play too this way:

smallinterface.png

The interface options are pretty interchangeable. Everything can be enabled or disabled too (as the compact mode shows).

Love what you currently have (just need to correct text color & bold text font :) )!

Its simple and to the point but there could always be usability changes down the road for sure. I feel like the client is already the most complete part of the game so far and would totally work for now while other features catch up (its by far good enough to test on).

Something to think about was that the aleveria client actually had moveable windows for each section so the client really could look like anything and work for everyone no matter what the play style is. Every mini feature could be moved (scrollbox, playerlist, iventory/skill box, etc). It is possible to do just not sure how much work is involved.
Last edited by Lateralus on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Dorgon wrote:I have no talent here, but can you tell me about SoE? Never played it and can't look it up since all I get is sony online

I canned SOE awhile back.

--

In terms of the interface yeah, it's just bothering me to be too similar to ROKs client. I posted it since I figured there are some designers here who might get creative like with the logo, it's no rush anyways.

Zeroun

Postby Zeroun » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:50 pm

Can we at least use the minimap tile color scheme as RoK did? Would make things much simpler. Think the color of the fonts need to change, the green is really out there. Idk what it is specifically but the background doesn't look smooth/right to me. Maybe smooth out the pixelated look to make it easier on the eyes, not too sure. Hope someone can propose something :P. Also we should make interfaces importable. So someone could make an interface and we can just import their setup.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:03 am

Normal text is white but is adjustable. Green was for announcement but that's changed by the announcer etc.

I made a blue skin too that's pretty easy but yeah 8]

The interfaces are one INI file and images. Can be given out though could have a theme uploader in future

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:53 am

Oh and for the minimap if someone wants to make new icons feel free. I'll release the client soon, people can play with them, everythings external for modification.

BadCopy

Postby BadCopy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:50 am

Do we have more then 1 skin to choose from?

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am

BadCopy wrote:Do we have more then 1 skin to choose from?

We have a couple, but the games new, we need people to design.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:25 pm

I quickly threw together what I'd call a more modern version of the Kaos Interface. It's still more of a wireframe than a full design but I didn't want to spend hours on something if people weren't responding to it.

Color & Systeming on the left to identify Staff, Players, Monsters, and Items.

Customizable right panel with collapsable windows or the user can completely hide this entire panel as most skilled players don't need ready access to it.

Brought Experience and Level to the top so it's always present. Progress bar added to show how close you are to leveling up.

Return to “Archive Chat”