Interface

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Interface

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Ghost wrote:Image

I quickly threw together what I'd call a more modern version of the Kaos Interface. It's still more of a wireframe than a full design but I didn't want to spend hours on something if people weren't responding to it.

Color & Systeming on the left to identify Staff, Players, Monsters, and Items.

Customizable right panel with collapsable windows or the user can completely hide this entire panel as most skilled players don't need ready access to it.

Brought Experience and Level to the top so it's always present. Progress bar added to show how close you are to leveling up.

I really really love that interface actually. It's very cool. I think the sidebar looks like you can move around the bars too (I.E. minimap can be at top/etc) which seems neat. The only issues is the buttons, need more then two typically per room. At the moment the buttons handle the buy but maybe we'll have to either change that (I have a few ideas) or figure out something else to add more buttons. Though technically you can probably get more then just two buttons anyways if they were scaled down differently.

The players bar is very cool. I like the way you have worked players and items with colors. Looks nice.

What is everyone else's take on it?

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Looks great to me.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 pm

The thing about the room buttons, is you only need to access them in very specific rooms and very specific times. There is no point in taking up space in the interface for an interaction that happens rarely.

What I'd suggest is just expanding that panel and collapsing others when you enter the room.
If you walk into a store, everything but your inventory and Room controls could collapse? Or the Map could collapse and reveal the items you can buy.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:43 pm

I love it! It's very sleek looking, and I cannot stress this part enough, the colors don't make my eyes hurt like bright skins do.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

BadCopy

Postby BadCopy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remnant

Postby Remnant » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Ghost wrote:The thing about the room buttons, is you only need to access them in very specific rooms and very specific times. There is no point in taking up space in the interface for an interaction that happens rarely.

What I'd suggest is just expanding that panel and collapsing others when you enter the room.
If you walk into a store, everything but your inventory and Room controls could collapse? Or the Map could collapse and reveal the items you can buy.

Yes, once again the future is pointlessly limited by the past. And if we require "room buttons" there are many, many creative ways around this that don't clog up the interface.
I am a remnant of things long past, of things that lingered but could not last.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Ghost wrote:The thing about the room buttons, is you only need to access them in very specific rooms and very specific times. There is no point in taking up space in the interface for an interaction that happens rarely.

That's not a bad idea for the stores. Could work fine.

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:13 pm

I really enjoy the mock up, I like how it looks modern without losing the things I liked about the old client.

Zeroun

Postby Zeroun » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Ghost, I must say you have really impressed me with your input and contributions. Glad to have you on board haha. As for the interface design, will all of the windows be moveable? Such as can I move the room list to the right and move the stats/inventory/map on the left side? Otherwise I think that whole design is pretty bad ass.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Zeroun wrote:Ghost, I must say you have really impressed me with your input and contributions. Glad to have you on board haha. As for the interface design, will all of the windows be moveable? Such as can I move the room list to the right and move the stats/inventory/map on the left side? Otherwise I think that whole design is pretty bad ass.

I'm all for customization (I.E. moving the minimap to the top of the stats for example, and closing the bar). but I think it doesn't need to get overly complicated. I don't really like those systems where you can move all windows all over the place, it bothers me for some reason, hence why I like this setup which has some freedom but not 'messy'. It's similar to a new age ROK client pretty much.

I'm not sure about mixing and matching the player list though. However, I think as a programmer it will be easy to switch the bars around (aka can be an option so that the player list is on the right and other bars to the left). I like it as it is and it'll probably be less grief to code that way too if we don't over-complicate it.

One thing I remembered is a way to tell when the player is exhausted and ready. In kaos obviously it was text that said ready or exhausted, but in this setup it could be an image, background, or something small and clean like a green/red light of some sort.

Based on replies though if you want you can continue. I think the lot are pretty happy about it.

Return to “Archive Chat”