Want to try making an area

alvarlux

Want to try making an area

Postby alvarlux » Fri May 06, 2016 11:27 pm

I wanted to try my hand at making a small early leveling area - something like Vetra Isle (for some reason was always one of my fav areas)

I don't want to cause anyone rework though - so who do I need to talk to about a range of room #'s and such?

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Want to try making an area

Postby NiteHawk » Sat May 07, 2016 3:40 am

Talk To Sat about it I believe. At the moment he's dealing with it.

Thoth

Postby Thoth » Sat May 07, 2016 6:08 am

Yeah Satsujin was handling room numbers. I would get a start on an area idea. Also don't forget to download the mapmaker. What were you going for....town? Leveling area?....?
Thoth, the original creator of the video game.

Driab wrote:What good is power if you can't use it when it is completely unnecessary?

Also....Thoth = Byr

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Sat May 07, 2016 7:51 am

If you're going to try your hand at building, I ask that your first order of business be to familiarize yourself with our backstory, gods (only four of them are on there as of the time I'm typing this, the fifth will be up once I finish it), and the important lore facts cheat sheet, since I'm trying to keep everything tidy and lore based. You don't need to have epic levels of backstory for your area, but you should be able to tie it in with the world as a whole. If you're going for something like Vetra that's entered from somewhere in the starting town, you'll want to get in touch with Kawasaki to make sure your area will mesh with his. Otherwise the general lore will be enough.

As for room numbers, make your map first, then I'll throw you a range of room numbers so you can generate your files. Since we're still working on the first wave of content, I'm not worried about putting a hard limit on area size, just be reasonable with the size.

Any other questions or concerns you have, either PM me here or catch me on Discord, since I'm always connected to those and can't always be in game.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

alvarlux

Postby alvarlux » Sat May 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks Satsujin.

Core idea: Early leveling area with some gold making opportunities (similar to the crab claws from Vetra)
Rough Outline: Small Valley or enclosed canyon with some simple plant and animal type monsters. Plant monsters drop herbs/fungus etc. that are "used for making potions" and can be sold in town. Provides RP reason for constant demand. Possibly have 'boss' of area be a Momma Bear in bear cave off in corner of map. drop slightly better then starter item 'claws' weapon.

I'll get started fleshing out the area soon - assuming this is near the starter town, what type of climate are we in?

alvarlux

Postby alvarlux » Sun May 22, 2016 12:45 am

So here's where I'm at - before I start the actual writing, I figured I'd get everyone's feedback. Based on what I've seen people are creating so far, I may need to move the level expectations for my area up - originally was going to be 5-10ish?

Concept:

Self contained, enclosed area for early leveling and possible gold farming. Based loosely on Vetra Isle from RoK, mixed with Ungoro Crater in WoW. You descend into the Valley from above, and there is a method to exit easily forming a coiling loop?

Considerations:

unknown attach point or orientation - plan ahead by working middle out?
need centrally available shop spot - place to sell drops
Monster / Div considerations - "leveling spots" for each type - identify monsters first, design quadrants around them?

Monsters:

Old RoK Base Stats for Troll:
HP - 58-95
Gold - 21-26

Gold Farming
Neutral Div - spread out throughout map
Fungi Fighter - Mushroom Man type - physical attacks - ‘patrol’/’guard’ mob
Morel Mage - Mushroom Man type - magic attacks, drop %herb% for sale - somewhat rare - how much should these be worth?

Spawns: Should Fighter also be in each Mage spot?

Leveling:
Aerotes (Fire - Bravery and Battle)
Plated Lizard

Dunsel (Night - Sorrow and Nightmares)
Spider

Javn (Earth - Creation and Life)
Bear

Vaendac (Storm - Death and Destruction)
Bat

Orasic (Ice/Water - Silence and Peace)
Koi Fish

Map Designer Layout - Main - path towards descent, Under1 - circular mountain path, Under2 - valley basin
Numbers on map show up/down joins. On mountain path extended lines show where you could fall to valley.

Overlayed version - doesn't take up too much worldspace since it's vertical - floors get darker as you go down (top is bright, bottom dark)

I decided to put the store on the express path out - exit through the gift shop style, so you have a chance to sell before you exit. This also allows PK parties to snag the most gold from people on the way out. How people and PK would enter and scan the area was considered. I wanted each area to have a flow, but not be a simple circuit.

Kenichi

Postby Kenichi » Sun May 22, 2016 12:48 am

Wow, good work alvarux :o :o :o :o

Return to “Archive Chat”