Canopia

Lateralus

Canopia

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 am

The forest is getting cut down and the trees are not happy about it so there is a conflict between the loggers and the forest so enjoy that.

MAP:

Notes:
-Green is forest
-Brownish parts are deforested areas.
-Gray 3x3 is the logging mill
-Blue Water part is a shallow stream no boats needed
-Nice variety between fast attackers and slow attackers
-There are no oads but there are hourly monsters that have around a 5-10% chance to drop items that are below oad power
-Everything is sellable in shop so things shouldn't get too cluttered even with a lot of drops.

NPCS:
Blackweave Arachnid
Copperhead
Rockhide Catfish
Forest Bandit
Canopia Deforester
Canopia Forman
Canopia Logger
Canopia Operator
Head Foreman
Frenzied Treant
Treant Hierarch
Treant Elder
Forest Witch

Items:
Elder Staff
Long Staff
Forestry Axe
Foreman's Hammer
Forest Cloak
Wooden Deflector
Rusty knife
Logger's Elixir
Treant Sap
Venom Gland
Raw Catfish
Tin Flask
Blackweave Silk
Bundle of Wood
Rockhide Scale
Scrap Metal
Last edited by Lateralus on Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dorgon

Re: Canopia

Postby Dorgon » Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 am

Lat I really like that. Nice, neat, and good for a variety f levels.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Nice area.

For items can't really base them off ROK values. The values are very different anyways.

I think if you're going to drop special items the timer needs to be higher then just an hour, or the drop rates need to be a bit lower. The game is gonna get a bit spammy with them I feel otherwise.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 23, 2016 6:16 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Nice area.

For items can't really base them off ROK values. The values are very different anyways.

I think if you're going to drop special items the timer needs to be higher then just an hour, or the drop rates need to be a bit lower. The game is gonna get a bit spammy with them I feel otherwise.

Thanks and I reduced the drop chances on most the items (more so on weapons) I also raised the spawn time of the mini bosses.

As for the item values yea i understand it will be a feel thing but most of them are still just above whats purchasable in the first city shop (rather weak). They just have a few blessings on them which makes them feel stronger out of the gate.

As for the weapons themselves they are all sellable in the outpost shop located in the area for 500-700gold considering they only drop 3-8% of the time its really only adding about 30-50gold to the monster drop on average (this is just for the mini bosses). I doubt they should be too cluttery i figure after a player gets 1 if they happen to get another they can just sell it as any other droppable item players might find.

I do agree though a lot of this stuff is going to be by feel and I had planned on changing things down the road once we can get the area in and get testing going.

Anyways everything is updated and loaded to the dropbox ready to be added whenever if it works for you guys.

Zilveari

Postby Zilveari » Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 pm

I like the idea of random drops from trash, and even guaranteed drops from slightly stronger (rare/elite) mobs that clock in somewhere between store-bought items and OaD-type items.

Perhaps most leveling areas would have an elite mob that is a level higher, and his stats are higher than the trash in the area. It could be on a random roll of seconds with a minimum of 10 minutes, and a maximum of 2 hours. Maybe even a random spawn spot too. This particular mob's gear drops would be soulbound and slightly better than store-boughts for that region/area but the level-restriction would be lower than the gear in the next town/area. And could leave it's exp/hit and exp/kill the same as the surrounding trash so that it is primarily killed for an upgraded item, not to grind.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Zilveari wrote:I like the idea of random drops from trash, and even guaranteed drops from slightly stronger (rare/elite) mobs that clock in somewhere between store-bought items and OaD-type items.

Perhaps most leveling areas would have an elite mob that is a level higher, and his stats are higher than the trash in the area. It could be on a random roll of seconds with a minimum of 10 minutes, and a maximum of 2 hours. Maybe even a random spawn spot too. This particular mob's gear drops would be soulbound and slightly better than store-boughts for that region/area but the level-restriction would be lower than the gear in the next town/area. And could leave it's exp/hit and exp/kill the same as the surrounding trash so that it is primarily killed for an upgraded item, not to grind.

And thats exactly what I was going for (not too powerful but useful and interesting). Its a lot more fun killing trash mobs while leveling if theres a slight chance you might get something useful. Lots of modern games do this so i figured why not bring it into the rok universe.

The tricky part is going to be balancing everything you dont want a ton of items around but you also dont want people killing mini-bosses hourly for days and never getting a drop. the advantage we have is that its now possible to sell items without being able to buy them so i have all the drops including weapons as sellable in the outpost shop so if drops are a bit high instead of them clogging up the item economy players have a choice to sell them for a bit of gold. Another thing to consider is this is a level 5-15 area at max people are going to spend a few hours in this area so I would like it if they stumbled apon at least 1 of the fun weapons during their leveling experience here.

Return to “Archive Chat”