World idea

Satsujin

World idea

Postby Satsujin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Alrighty, Nitehawk wants us to brainstorm, so let's brainstorm.

This is a continent map I've had laying around for a bit, which is one of the many I went through when I was trying to determine what the landmasses in some novellas I've been working on look like. The label I slapped on it is Kavollera, but I'm not attached to the name (it's stupid anyways), so if someone has a better one, please tell me because damn. It's linked because the generator I used spits out huge images.

So far as my notes on it exist, it has a grand total of two cities: Alderra (red circle), which is the capitol of the human kingdoms, and Ralner (green circle), a smaller village within a days casual walk of Alderra. There's also a massive mountain range that pretty much cuts the continent in half (purple circle). There are dragons in the mountains, with the land on either side being unexplored by people from the other since, you know, dragons. The eastern side is mostly populated by less "civilized" beings called drakebloods, which are effectively what you get when some idiot (aka me) gets drunk and asks themselves "what would happen if I magically crossbred and elf and a dragon?" The answer is angry elf people with scales who breathe fire. Everyone involved agreed that this was an absolutely horrible decision, no matter how badass elves breathing fire might be, but they kept doing it anyways (this is how orcs happened too, except the what if races were giants and humans), and eventually drakebloods and orcs ended up their own thing capable of reproducing without magical help. They pretty much killed everyone else that didn't book it after a while.

All of that can be built on and modified as seen fit by the community, this is just me attempting to get the content discussion started since fuck knows I have no opinion on anything else. Thoughts?
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Lateralus

Re: World idea

Postby Lateralus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Sounds pretty cool! do you have like an overview map type thing? (wasnt sure if you tried to link one)

I kind of pictured a tanjir situation but I dont know if hawk even wants to reference old rok which makes sense.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:18 pm

I linked one, yeah. The image is 2k pixels on each side, so I didn't want to be rude and make the mobile users suffer. xD Unless the link didn't work, then whoops, I'll fix that in a sec.

It could still be considered a Tanjir situation if you mean separate continents, since it could be argued each side of the mountain range is its own continent (like Europe and Asia are irl). But I don't see any point in making each side have a separate starting zone, since the only things that live over there are the drakebloods, orcs, and dragons. Good place for post-25 content, bad place for squishy newbies.
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:17 pm

It seems like a good place to start. I like the idea of over the mountain range. Maybe when it gets to that point we could have a quest where the dwarves found a tunnel with a dragon den in it and the server could fight and defeat the dragon to gain access to the other side of the mountains.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 am

I'm okay with references to ROK, just to state. Looks like a good map though to start on as well.

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:53 pm

NiteHawk wrote:I'm okay with references to ROK, just to state. Looks like a good map though to start on as well.

I think we should have a screen that tells a backstory when you start the game. It could be closed and made not to open again, if that's even possible. It maybe could reference an apocalypse on Syndar, and only those warned by the gods were able to escape in time. Just a cool tidbit imo.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 pm

One thing I really thought made rok great was how random some areas were. The game had so many different builders and because of that so many unique areas. Not every thing fit together but I think thats what made it so cool. I mean you had a magical chessboard on one side and an underworld happy world type thing. I hope weird areas like that can still fit in the concept.

alvarlux

Postby alvarlux » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:54 pm

I like the map and mountain range as content barrier idea.

Based on what I've seen in other threads the idea is we've escaped some previous disaster and come to this continent, but it's be unclear so far if there is an existing civilization in the new land?

Are we "survivors in a strange land" or "the survivors trying to survive and restore civilization"?

We could also mix them and have stumbled upon the ruins of an older civilization - could also be the source of drakebloods, orcs etc. They were possible much more advanced with magic? Provides options for future OADs as well as Artifacts of a long lost time.

Also would provide options for more weird locations like the chessboard, as pocket worlds created by ancient magic?

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:44 pm

alvarlux wrote:I like the map and mountain range as content barrier idea.

Based on what I've seen in other threads the idea is we've escaped some previous disaster and come to this continent, but it's be unclear so far if there is an existing civilization in the new land?

Are we "survivors in a strange land" or "the survivors trying to survive and restore civilization"?

We could also mix them and have stumbled upon the ruins of an older civilization - could also be the source of drakebloods, orcs etc. They were possible much more advanced with magic? Provides options for future OADs as well as Artifacts of a long lost time.

Also would provide options for more weird locations like the chessboard, as pocket worlds created by ancient magic?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=60

That thread covers the majority of our backstory. There was a generation of survivors in a strange land, but it's been just over a century since then, and there were no native peoples to deal with since the world was new. Which means I have to re-lore the drakebloods if we're going to keep them, or get rid of them entirely, since the backstory presented in this thread was more heavily based on my fantasy novellas I've been writing and has been reworked a lot.

I'm glad you're showing interest in the story though! :mrgreen:
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Kruell

Postby Kruell » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 pm

How about changing the Saurian race to Drakeblood? I was writing a little something about each race for the wiki and then remembered this gem. I could always change the expected Suarian information to fit the Drakeblood history and looks. It would have to be Nitehawks say in the end but anybody have thoughts?
If you look like prey you will be eaten

Return to “Archive Chat”