Auditioning for build

Cerebrus

Auditioning for build

Postby Cerebrus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:08 am

I have been toying around with a map maker designing a decent sized area that would be used for multiple OaD's missions, quests and leveling. In my head and design I picture several hidden passages, misleading ladders, several keys to obtain not only to gain entrance to the manor, but to unlock doors within to gather items needed to gain access to other levels of the manor/castle. I plan on adding what remains of a small abandoned village just outside the castle as well. Nothing to big,

Im not sure if its possible with current coding, but I'd like to make it so you have to choose which OaDs you want on that day. Meaning, if you choose to go after certain keys, other keys in the castle will despawn and become unavailable for the day making you choose wisely on which item you need the most.

The reason I am posting in lore is, Ive never been the greatest at story telling, but If I could get someone to write me up a little back story for the manor/castle and the maze of a forest surrounding it I would be able to build off of that. Just something to spark the fire. When I say a little backstory I do mean little. I dont want someone writing the whole thing, just toss out some ideas so I can get the creative juices flowing. I will post a screen of the current progress of the map and youll be able to get a feel for the area.

The idea I was toying around with was the castle was a remnant of the old world, before the cataclysm a great and noble family lived there and ruled their lands in a just and peaceful way, their subjects loved them and they loved their subjects equally, but then the cataclysm took place and wiped out most of the inhabitants. The castle laid dormant for a hundred years, but......

Thats all ive got so far. Trying to decided what to inhabit the castle with now....undead corpses? or an ancient dark evil fueled by the souls lost long ago who want nothing more than to return the castle to its former glory at any cost and regain what they once held so dear to their hearts?

Cerebrus

Re: Auditioning for build

Postby Cerebrus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:11 am

A lot of the dead ends with ladders are going to be where people have tried digging down and tunneling into the castle from underneath (because the drawbrige is locked or destroyed) as well as trying to find the castles vaut hidden deep underground.

Cerebrus

Postby Cerebrus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:07 am

Maybe from the players PoV their mission/quest would be to rid the land of said evil and restore the peace.

Would it be possible to make it so once a player has reached a certain point in the quest line the area changes for them? For instance, the map shown would become locked and a duplicate map of the area would unlock but with brighter, happier descriptions, npcs, etc? Essentialy giving the feeling that the player has cured the lands of the evil?

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 am

The ladders could have been the force that is now inhabiting it trying to get in also. Could be a simple plot, evil power/general has moved in an is using it as a base of operations.
The keys dont need to despawn, but you only have limited keys which means that if you use one for one part you cant get access to another because the key is gone. Each area could be ruled by a captain of the overall general. Each general could have his own forte (and therefore oad drop, ie sorcerer, knight, barbarian, and off course each of those generals would have their own type of "soldier" or not, they could all use the same troops, their honour guard, if any, could be more like them though, but not necessarily. The knight for example could have a sorceror advisor or a priest councilor).
Then there would be the general himself, which would need more keys to get to, maybe even each captain could hold a key and all keys were needed to treach the general.
My tuppence worth.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Cerebrus

Postby Cerebrus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:48 am

I like the General Idea, the keys are a good idea too, I was kind of thinking along those lines. Like you need to gether more than one to access certain areas.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:20 am

I'll give this a proper look at and critiquing when I'm not on my phone, but for now, it looks good in theory. But the world is going to be undergoing a massive amount of remapping here in the near future, so sit on this for a little bit until we're done doing that.

Sound good?
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Cerebrus

Postby Cerebrus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:59 am

Yep sounds good to me :D

Return to “Archive Chat”