A short story~

Lavelia

A short story~

Postby Lavelia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:05 pm

A Day in the Life of Bastian

The furry black head pops up off of his paws, he stretches and then stands and shakes himself until he’s fully awake and moves away from the side of the General store. He then starts walking down the street and his thoughts begin with, “today I woke up, like I do every day. Outside. On the street. I wish I had a house. I used to have one. It was mine. But I was a baby then; hadn’t even opened my eyes yet. I spent some time there with my mother and my sibling and even explored that house...a lot. It had the best chew toys. There were hard bones that I sharpened my teeth on and when we went outside there were so many interesting smells that I got tired just chasing them all around. But that was a long time ago and I didn’t used to wake up on the street.

I used to have an Elf that was all mine. I owned him. He fed me good food, and provided me with a huge house to live in and explore. There was a nice spot for me right by the warmest place in the house and I always had a bone to chew on. Sometimes I’d hide them outside so that I would have them for later. My servant used to scratch me behind the ears in the best spot, too. I miss him, sometimes. I don’t really understand, but he just...stopped one day. He grew cold no matter how much I snuggled next to him, sharing my warmth.

Then the townsfolk came. They took him away and I was sad. For a long time I was sad. I looked for him. Day after day. Then another elf came, she’s the innkeeper, and she took me away. It was good because I was really getting hungry. All my bones were gone as was my food and water. My dishes were empty. So she took me away from there and brought me here.

Here is much different from there. It’s colder and I have to work more to get my food. I really miss my home. But this is my life now. I see a lot of people come through here and the air doesn’t smell as clean as it used to. Those people smell of metal, long dead animals, and blood. There are some that come to the inn and never leave. It sure does make the innkeeper mad since they're taking up space real people who spend money there could be taking up.

Some of them are mean, and one of them slapped me. I felt power fill me and it made me stronger, so I killed him. Sadly he didn’t stay killed. His God brought him back...but I don’t like him. I might bite him, next time; and if he slaps me again...well. I’ll just kill him again, now won’t I?

I don’t know if my people here in this town feel it. I don’t think they can smell it at all. But something….something is wrong. It’s in the air. It’s in the ground...and sometimes it makes me start to feel...strange. I’m still a good dog. I greet, and watch, the guests that come to train here. They use those places that smell like blood, metal, and spells.

That guard that teaches them is always nice to me. He doesn’t kick at me and sometimes shares his food. He’s nice. I like him a lot. He’s one of my new servants and he’s a hard worker. The innkeeper is mine too. In fact, even though I lost my first servant...I now have a whole town of them. Most of them give me scraps since I work so much harder than I used to. But...I sure do miss my bones. They were white, and crunchy, and tasted really good.

Oooh that Elf just patted my head! She smells good and so I reward her by licking her face. I’ll follow her a bit just to see where she’s going and if she gets lost...well. This is my town and I can lead her back to the main street. Though most of these travelers aren’t that smart. They don’t understand that this is my town and these are my servants and that I take really good care of them. I scare off rats that try and walk my streets since the female servants don’t like them and I always greet travelers, unless they’re mean to me, with a wagging tail.

The elf went into the Holy Place that Smells like Fire. I like it in there. It’s always warm, but not too warm. Sometimes the Holy Men let me sleep in those places. When it’s wet, or when it’s cold. But these streets, they’re my home. It’s mine to guard, and the people here are mine to reward. I make many trips through the town, day and night, and keep it safe for my people.

But now I’m worried. I feel it. The changes. I don’t know if the people are aware of it. I really don’t know if they’re ready for it. But it’s coming. I think it’s already here. I spend more time in those Holy Places now. Because they feel safer to me. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I still do my duty to my people. But I can’t be out there for too long. I need that time I take in those holy places. Because I’ve started to feel...odd.

Before, I don’t think I would have hurt that traveler who slapped me. Even if he’d kicked me, I wouldn’t have hurt him. I’m meaner, now. Without these trips to the holy places I think bad things would happen. I wouldn’t be such a good master to my people. I might hurt them. So I make sure to travel into those Holy Places and stay a bit. Because I always feel better after I’ve been there.

Now it’s bedtime. I think I’ll go sleep in the room with all the wonderful smells. The one that people bring stuff to, drop it, and leave. I’m a good master but I need my sleep. Because my days start early and I work hard for my food,” and then he lays down, in the garbage room. His head slowly descends onto his paws and he curls up, slightly, gives one last wag of his tail and drifts off to sleep.

~fin~

A note: I took a few small liberties with regards to past history since it would make things more interesting.

Folder

Re: A short story~

Postby Folder » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Lavelia wrote:I felt power fill me and it made me stronger, so I killed him. Sadly he didn’t stay killed. His God brought him back...but I don’t like him. I might bite him, next time; and if he slaps me again...well. I’ll just kill him again, now won’t I?

Don't mess with Bastian :o
<Silhouette>

daedroth

Re: A short story~

Postby daedroth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 am

Yeh I am now glad I have a fondness for dogs and would not think of kicking one (unless it was attacking me, then all bets are off).
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”