[impressions] Battle system

Sicx

Re: [impressions] Battle system

Postby Sicx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 pm

The problem with that is people don't like relatively simple games anymore. So either we start getting with the program or the genre dies. The largest MUDs today have intricate battle systems, mini-games, etc.

We've over here like, huh, we don't need no mini game, let's do a Str vs Agi check. Awesome, done and done.

Hence our player retention.
In game: Diablo, Satan, Sicx, Nyte
Guardians of Darkness

Terron

Postby Terron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 pm

grasping vines on nm had flaws tho, it could be healed and hit by anyone, was weak to machetes etc. i think it should just drain stamina to break it by moving. so u can move with 2 not 1 or something.

Sicx wrote:The problem with that is people don't like relatively simple games anymore. So either we start getting with the program or the genre dies. The largest MUDs today have intricate battle systems, mini-games, etc.

We've over here like, huh, we don't need no mini game, let's do a Str vs Agi check. Awesome, done and done.

i beg to differ i see 1000s of people that just tap screens as fast as they can for points and millions of people play hatch an egg feed a pet games.

which muds have u played that dont have simplistic combat? ive tried almost every one in the top 100 and they all seem basic to me. more skills spells and areas but still basic.

this game wont compete with a graphic MMO w/o some kind of phone/tablet client. and to even achieve that the game cant be so difficult it cant fit on a single screen, like alot of muds that use java etc.

im not saying the combat cant be better, cuz it can. just ember is like at the newborn stage lol lets take it 1 diaper at a time
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 am

Sicx wrote:The problem with that is people don't like relatively simple games anymore. So either we start getting with the program or the genre dies. The largest MUDs today have intricate battle systems, mini-games, etc.

I think you're confusing complexity with fun though. A lot of players who play the game aren't savvies and just want a game that's easy to follow. If they can't understand a game within the first hour most people give up and leave. It doesn't mean you have to teach them everything in that first hour obviously, and we don't in EO either, but if the game has to be easy to follow. Adding spells just adds another level of combat or a way to deal with things, but it doesn't need to be a whole lot more complex when it comes to the way things are dealt with. Yeah we could do with time slow spells, bleed effects, and some other ailments though. The way it's done though doesn't need to be complex to be enjoyable though. Yeah, mini games could be a thing for certain things though, but it needs to work text based too as most things do in the game right now. (Not saying it couldn't be some sort of display like you have there but there also needs to be an alternate way via text.)

I think the biggest issue with player retention is there is nothing to do just of yet. Games can be as complex as they want but once you have the best gear and level 25ers it doesn't matter how complex your game is, you'll lose players pretty fast.

On top of that the second issue is visibility, as Terron said people are literally playing games that involve clicking rapidly for little gain, or literally IDLING a game to achieve something. The reason is pretty simple, it's easy to deal with on your phone, tablet, on the web, etc. If you get a overly complex game that can't be played on a tablet then you'll lose players too. I almost bet if we had a facebook client, steam support where we were visible, and tablet client we could double our numbers pretty fast. The reason why I don't do this yet is because retention is tougher until we get more interesting things to do. The guild wars/etc system is a start though. Things like fishing, foraging, crafting, even the texas hold em poker, and other things could be a well addition too to prolong the end game content too.

I fully believe if we had the current combat system but with way more things to do with end game content alot more people would be happy right now. I'm not saying we aren't going to add spells, balance, etc, all I'm saying is that I don't think it's the reason why people leave the game on a normal case.

Terron wrote:this game wont compete with a graphic MMO...

Very true, and I don't think we will ever, or are meant to be. However there's a big difference too. MMOs of that level probably need 5k+ players minimum in order to be successful. Maybe more. Depends on their world size I guess but often they are huge. I would be happy at least to start if we could pull 60 to 100 members on at all times at least to start. It's pretty achievable but yeah, we obviously need more support. Even once we release all this end game content it won't help bring in new players.. That would be where working on visibility starts, and that would be things like tablet clients, the new universal client, fb client, things like that as I said. Not many know we exist, but once we get more things going we'll attempt to solve that.

Terron

Postby Terron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:10 am

yeah i mean a game like this could get 1000s of players if it has the content. sadly the effort needed to be put in is about 100x as much as a gfx mmo. you need 10x the areas because u can run through them in 25 nsew's where as it takes several minutes to run through each area on an mmo. you need longevity crafts, for better potions, embers gear etc. ember gets better with each implement. TY for that.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 pm

I think a good approach would be to add a few lower level skills (even if they are out powered by level 25 skills).

For example rangers now start with pets however sorcs and necros have to wait a while for their pets and are very weak to start with. I would love to see them get a pet at level 1 just to have a buddy etc make the game more exciting maybe some kind of Imp or something just a weak damage dealer that would be overshadowed by the time you get your golem or zombie or whatever.

Wouldn't need to be div based you could prob just create 1 imp for both sorc and necro and it would add a ton to the game play experience without having to worry about it throwing off balance.

little things like that I think would be easy to add and could add some depth and fun for players to kind of break up the grind.

Terron

Postby Terron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:14 pm

yeah id like the imp idea.

had an idea about the combat system. maybe certain classes (or races) get bonuses for the more of them in a party. an example would be like knights getting improved techniques when there is more than one. like maybe extra block %, bonus AC or something. maybe even a few skills based on this later on. might add a nice dynamic to combat

Return to “Archive Chat”