Armour and Magic

daedroth

Armour and Magic

Postby daedroth » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:53 am

How about armour increasing the mana cost of spells and lowering spell efficiency.
Warhammer FRPG I think had something like this. Wizards could wear what they wanted, but they got penalised badly through increased mana cost and increased chance of spell failure (DnD has something similar too eh).
Completely neutral to this idea.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

anthriel

Re: Armour and Magic

Postby anthriel » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:21 pm

I’d entertain the idea of more flexibility but it probably doesn’t sit with the EO’s current game design paradigm which is more prescriptive “theme park” than free “sandbox”. For example if we want to allow more flexibility/customisation then why stop at mages? Let assassins try to backstab with a battle axe (incurring to-hit penalties) or druids to use swords (with similar penalties). I’m guessing developers r worried about balance issues, which is probably valid... and probably why total ‘sandbox’ flexibility is hard to hope for even though I’d personally find it refreshing.

daedroth

Re: Armour and Magic

Postby daedroth » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:30 am

anthriel wrote:I’d entertain the idea of more flexibility but it probably doesn’t sit with the EO’s current game design paradigm which is more prescriptive “theme park” than free “sandbox”. For example if we want to allow more flexibility/customisation then why stop at mages? Let assassins try to backstab with a battle axe (incurring to-hit penalties) or druids to use swords (with similar penalties). I’m guessing developers r worried about balance issues, which is probably valid... and probably why total ‘sandbox’ flexibility is hard to hope for even though I’d personally find it refreshing.

True, the more you add to a game, the harder it is to balance and keep people happy :D
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”