Staff Transparency

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Staff Transparency

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:32 am

I want to bring up something about the way I attempt to handle staff and prevent issues.

Alot of people came from a game called Realms of Kaos, and unfortunately in that game there was a lot of corruption and issues with staffers there, especially pre-crash. Things such as spawning monsters to level on, people spawning items, etc, etc. There is one thing I have to say about this: We are not Realms of Kaos.

Part of my job is to make sure corruption doesn't happen, and I don't think we are at a bad spot. A few people tend to make claims, but a lot of these claims seem to be invalid. I want to point out a few things and show some details on what we have in place:

1. Most staffers cannot spawn monsters. Even if they can /spawn, they spawns have 0 gold, 0 exp, and no drops as a prevention. Monster spawns like the Crimson Dragon or Thanatos have a random spawn timer which cannot be affected by a staffer and is set when the server reboots. If a staffer attempts to refresh a room, Rare and higher monsters do not get affected by doing this, so they cannot refresh to attempt to respawn any monsters. No staffers but myself can spawn or award items.

2. /spy doesn't give a lot of information but is useful for events. There are two levels, a full spy command and a limited spy command. Most staff members do NOT have the full spy command (I consider it a higher privilege now and only head and trusted have it.) and it cannot use it against you to find information on your accounts. Regardless, I always check for usage in the logs quite often to make sure it is used correctly. This is what most staffers see when using the command:

3. PP and item rewards are logged and is directly sent to everyone in staff to see:
No rewards cannot go without everyone noticing. Bans/Kicks/etc also go into the #staff-issues channel automatically.

4. Staffers are completely logged. It is not that I do not trust my staffers, but it's my last line of defense for verifying things. It records anything they do in game:

It even records things such as a staffer receiving or giving items, getting items, dropping items, etc. Virtually anything they say or do is logged.

I want to also note that normal players aren't generally logged in this fashion; I.E. Your private messages ARE private messages, etc. Only staffers are logged to this extent for security purposes, which they know about. There is more in place than just this logger too, but I want to say 'I watch everything a staffer does'.

---

If you EVER have an issue or suspect foul play, you can PM me on discord or email me at nitehawk@ember-online.com. If it involves something a staffer did in game, please give me a time so it's easier to find and verify the information.

I want this game to be as corrupt free. I've worked very hard on this game and I want to see it flourish.

Thanks!

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Staff Transparency - Part 2

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Part of my job is making sure corruption doesn't happen. There are people who always point fingers at staffers but I will take every CLAIM seriously, and I try to follow up as much as I can. We have many ways of preventing corruption as I have shown above but sometimes things can slip past using outside sources. At that point it is up to the players to report it and help the game out.

Recently in the public Discord channel, there was a claim that I don't care about corruption so what is the point of reporting it. This is a really far from correct. I would like to point out that this isn't ROK and that Ember Online is my baby. I built it from the ground up and I want a corrupt free game for everyone. When it comes to corruption, if I get valid evidence/information, which is normally easy to obtain, I will deal with it, regardless on who it is. There is no point yelling in public channel about issues, come to me directly. By outing someone in public it can often end up being harder to get proper evidence. Come to me about it instead!

There was a claim of corruption that was brought up to me. I took it seriously as it came with proof on more than one occasion. It was valid. I am dealing with it. I am very sorry to anyone who experienced this and again, I am working to resolve valid claims as soon as possible. I would like to thank the people for stepping up and putting the games interests before anything. It really keeps me going to see this.

---

This post wasn't made to say all my ways to combat staff corruption is for nil, it actually works very well. There are very seldom ways to abuse your staff powers, and it's a shame when it occurs, but no system is 100%. Again, if you have evidence, REPORT IT. I take it VERY seriously. IN THE LONG RUN WITH CORRUPTION NO ONE WINS AND ANYONE FOUND TO BE HELPING MAY FACE HEAVY BANS. This is a game of very close knit people, once issues start, everything is often laid on the table.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Staff Transparency Part 3

Postby NiteHawk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 am

I got to say, there's people claiming corruption on certain guilds, yet I haven't seen anything valid except for regular players who seem to try to abuse events or attempt to cheat the system as best as they can. It's really silly.

If you have nothing good to say, then please don't say it. If you have actual proof, come to me and let me know (AND DON'T ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD AS IT MAKES IT TOUGHER.). I will follow up on ANY reports back to you, valid or not valid. I log everything, and from previous issues I know that certain people will report any issues outside of the game to me. I trust them to do so.

Also, harassment in events needs to stop, I can understand a bit of drama is OK or light banter against each other, but calling people racial slurs or downright disgusting things is going to get yourself event banned, effective immediately.

Thanks.

Return to “General News”