The present and future of Ember Online

Lateralus

Re: The present and future of Ember Online

Postby Lateralus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 am

Sounds like a pretty good plan and a lot for players to look forward too.

I know it's you doing most the work on this and I'm not saying you would change the order but of the non critical things like recoding and bug fixes what would players like to see first on behalf of the game and how would it help the game as a whole?

Kismet

Postby Kismet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:42 am

NiteHawk wrote:
Kismet wrote:You only mentioned monster pics, hawk of darkness. Are custom ones also going to be a thing?

By custom do you mean being able to upload your own image? If that is the case then no as if we attempt to make money doing it, it would be illegal to use art randomly from sites for the most case, most aren't free commercial and I would be the one getting slammed for it. Normally its something like a $1000 to $10000 fine and that's nasty :D

In the case of artists actually doing images for people, I don't really know. This would actually involve artists doing it, and it's not an automated thing anymore. I could see it maybe as a special event type thing, but defo not 'for the masses' thing. It's hard enough getting art as it is, and if our artists go on a break or decide not to work on the game anymore it pretty much leaves the option useless. I prefer in any case to ensure most of this can be done without our intervention, aka automated.

I meant the latter, of course. There goes the dreams of bearing an outer goddess' image. *pouts*

Kismet

Postby Kismet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Also one more question. Will gear that scales with levels 30+ to 50+ also be released? Because I think it would blow for those who spend their PP right off the bat on level 25 gear for their mains or favorite characters only to learn later down the road that they have invested in mid-game items...

Kenichi

Postby Kenichi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Why would they scale? You re-grind the PP or instances like all MMORPG games. :popcorn:

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 am

Kismet wrote:Also one more question. Will gear that scales with levels 30+ to 50+ also be released? Because I think it would blow for those who spend their PP right off the bat on level 25 gear for their mains or favorite characters only to learn later down the road that they have invested in mid-game items...

The items will still be useful, 26-50 gear won't mean double damage. As stated 26-50 is generally similar to a reset but you are more powerful the second time around.

However this doesn't mean we won't release upgrades to the current items for the 'max' levels. Right now theres a set max for armor/weapons I want to be at, but eventually it will raise here and there, or unique weapons will come out that have special script attributes. At some point you're going to want to just go for something. Games would be boring if they never released new things and everyone would probably get bored/sick of playing.

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Lateralus wrote:Sounds like a pretty good plan and a lot for players to look forward too.

I know it's you doing most the work on this and I'm not saying you would change the order but of the non critical things like recoding and bug fixes what would players like to see first on behalf of the game and how would it help the game as a whole?

What is needed more than anything is a bigger playerbase. There's just not enough on right now to make PKing active, and there's not much competition for OaDs or events.

New areas are awesome and all the stuff NH mentioned is cool, but it's all for naught without more people making the world active.
<Silhouette>

Styx

Postby Styx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 pm

I agree with folder, if we don't start doing g advertising the game will slowly die off. I have seen many just quit playing now and no new areas is going to keep them. At night it might say there is 8 online with 2 actual active people alive. Which us why I wanted auto afk for idlers. It was showing what was happing and without being flaming to give people a wake up. Many nights I have spent alone with not a single person to talk. Makes easy for vault management. Just throw all on ground, after all Noone is around to just pick up.

Game plan wise there's a lot going on but it won't hurt to get more people.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Advertising doesn't work when we don't have end game content. We can advertise (and been trying) but it's hard. After you level there is nothing to do generally, OADs could be a thing, but most people prefer to PK. Which doesn't help those new players.

It also doesn't help that people were actively targeting new players too, hence one of the new rule changes on the TOS, though even with that into effect if they are constantly dieing they rage off and leave. I know several people now that got turned off by it. I know the game is more harsh when it comes to how PVP works, but need to figure out something for them that the server without us manually dealing with it.

I honestly feel that advertising doesn't work when leveling and killing the levelers is the only thing to do atm.

Terron

Postby Terron » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm

need a vast world to explore and continual stuff to do to keep the players. drawing a large crowd with the game this small they will get bored and wont come back. seen it time and time again.

what the game needs is;
- more areas
- greater distance between towns
- a longer period of training 12-21
- a shorter period of training 22+
- shell areas with mobs to kill that small oads can be added to later
-more mini bosses
-a reason to not run your level 10 to kill level 23 monsters
(only thing i can figure here is raising exp for damaging monsters and lowering kill shot bonus)
-larger scope and magnitude of weaponry (the weapons are all very very similar, daggers shouldn't hit equivalent to halberds. damage spread needs to be greater for future content to be viable)
-to a minor extent class tweaks to balance weapons after the above
-possibly a more versatile weapon wielding system (example more classes dual wield for extra stam and hit rate penalties, use 2 hand weapons for bonus damage, shield/sword for bonus defense.
- a reason to use 25+ characters for continual account progression outside of oads (i.e. the tradesman classes i suggested would work here, or something similar to the extent of making all content used by 25ers)
(generally the same people use the same 1-2 characters every oad trip, no reason to train lots of alts)

-then lastly players and advertisement.

ive seen the movie. If you build it they will come! build is first, it isn't the other way around.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:27 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Advertising doesn't work when we don't have end game content. We can advertise (and been trying) but it's hard. After you level there is nothing to do generally, OADs could be a thing, but most people prefer to PK. Which doesn't help those new players.

It also doesn't help that people were actively targeting new players too, hence one of the new rule changes on the TOS, though even with that into effect if they are constantly dieing they rage off and leave. I know several people now that got turned off by it. I know the game is more harsh when it comes to how PVP works, but need to figure out something for them that the server without us manually dealing with it.

I honestly feel that advertising doesn't work when leveling and killing the levelers is the only thing to do atm.

I'd like to touch on the OaD thing a little bit. Some things I have noticed / talked with others about:

-OaDs take too long. This is true of all 3 OaD areas ingame right now. Refinery is the most egregious of these as it can take multiple hours to run, and the bottom floor bosses take 20+ minutes to kill.
-Gear scaling is not as big as it should be imo. By this I mean you can either, as an example, 1) easily get an Onyx Plate or 2) spend an enormous amount of time getting a Devil's Plate for 3AC more. That 3AC gives .3% damage reduction and 1.5% greater chance to absorb. It's very difficult to convince people that it's worth the effort to actually get OaDs. Weapons are a different story as they do in fact make a bigger difference. Does this make sense?

I agree that most people prefer PKing, but we should be listening to the playerbase about how long OaDs take to do. It's AWESOME that we can build large areas that are involved and take some time, but as of now there's nothing but those areas and most days they aren't even done simply because the time commitment is obnoxious.

Please understand this isn't a bash on anyone's work on area building, this is meant as constructive feedback.

Also agree with all the stuff Terron said, with the exception that I think we need more people sooner rather than later.
<Silhouette>

Return to “Useful Information/Warnings”