pk ideas thread

Styx

Re: pk ideas thread

Postby Styx » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 am

Regardless. This game is all about epic pk battle. One wins one looses , I was just thinking of a most wanted for pking. Gold not even used. So the pkers can gain fame and glory. And what better way then being the most wanted. Can be easily done just at fiïrst by listing the highest number of pk kill count, update it at reset, and each reset see who can be the most notorious killer.

One again no gold involed, fame, blood, guts and glory.

But on the same topic, everyone should not abuse the system.

Ohhh or even with a marshal standing in town center holding the posters, so all know

Could be a great way of getting people more involved killing each other off.

:popcorn:

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:57 am

The whole paying to PK thing is a very bad idea, sorry. You aren't thinking anything through with it. So they end up with negative balance and then can't get items, or gold to fix it and have to go grind themselves. On top of that they cant buy potions and will have to sit and temple very time the HP is low. I dunno, it's a super wierd idea and at least with the XP loss that people brought up you lost XP which didn't actually break the gameplay for you.

The bounty system however is an OK idea, but thats nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Post it in suggestions and please don't post it here. It's more to do with getting people to actually be bounty hunters, which is fine, but I'm not going to talk about what it needs here. The only people that will use bounty systems are people who have cash.

The kill count per day I mean is okay, but I think you promote people killing newbies way more just to get a higher kill count. I can see X being 2 kills behind of Y, and killing extra to past Y which wouldn't help new players. The posters idea would work fine with the bounty system with gold anyways. Again, different topic. You pretty much just talked about increasing everyones deaths and that confuses me.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 am

Last thing im saying on this, since I have nothing against the current system. You are not paying to pk, you are only paying if you get pkk'd before the fine timer runs out. Also the criminal status you only pay for if you actually want it removed. Anyway, I am done commenting on this one, I bid you good day!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:20 am

NiteHawk wrote:In terms of level 25'ers losing XP. I don't think it stops the harassment either because a level 25'er killing a newbie or new player in a group even has very little risk. If I were to even do that though, I'd allow EXP to climb up to a certain point. Being killed once and having to relevel even if it involves no gold to relevel is really rough and to me it would actually kill PKing completely. So you'd have to at least have a decent buffer of XP but I still feel like it just adds another layer that doesn't really solve it.

---

The whole damage reduction thing doesn't stop it either, but it at least prevents it after a certain period. But maybe simply the per death per hour needs to be adjusted too for example in the TOS. For example 3 kills per 2 hour per group, or 2 death per hour per group. It wouldn't stop the hunting though, and I do think its tough to nab someone unless you catch them with their pants down still.

The reason why I do like a damage reduction thing is that I think that it at least calms down players who been killed to many times. I think RUNNING and avoiding PKers is a part of the game, Losing XP is a part of the game. But imagine yourself in their shoes as a new player though, after a certain point it would get annoying. That way also it could be not moderated by staff anymore either.. Aka they die 3 times in an hour, they get immunity for a hour to at least feel safe and gain back the XP they lost and then some UNLESS they go hostile towards someone.

The three times a death thing is surely going to be exploited eventually anyways if its PER PLAYER that can do it. If we got 5 guys, separate clans, but hate one dude, each kills the dude 3 times, that would be rough on them. 15 deaths would be completely annoying. Surely a PKer' would be alright if a message came up saying that 'This person has been killed 3 times in an hour and has a immunity for the hour' or something like that. I think any decent person would say thats probably enough for them for now, yeah?

But again, the degree of how many kills and how long it would be is another. I honestly think 2 deaths per hour is actually enough, but that's just me.

--

Sides that, a level 25'er who dies to a newer player could get a heavier sickness that lasts longer too. Obviously the risk is if someone lower level gets a kill shot, but if thats the case I would assume that they were leveling and got jumped by said people, so fair game too. And I don't mean longer as in hours or anything, maybe a few minutes more per sickness level is all, or it starts at the second sickness level rather then the first level.

I may not be seeing it, but i dont think death sickness is a viable risk/deterrent to PKers or an incentive/hope for new playing victims... especially if it is only a few more minutes. Definitely doesn't encourage anyone to stand up to a PKer on either a leveling character or a 25er (via alts or guild help) because there is no lasting gain for your effort.

I keep hearing a few people (including NH above) say that losing EXP to PKers "is a part of the game" ... except that it seems that this statement doesn't universally apply as true to all players of the game - only those who are under 25.... so to me it seems like abit of a double standard for those people who say "exp loss is a natural risk to the game" to then cry out that that the remote potential of losing EXP as a 25er seems really rough for the poor 25ers (esp since its only if you somehow manage to lose a fight you are the heavy favourite for after being added to a wanted list for having already succeeded in such fights several times in the last 24hrs)... i mean the 25ers are already the ones who have the majority of the resources and power in the game... so if the chance of losing EXP is really rough on the most experienced and established players in the community then its doubly or triply hard on the new players that EO is hopefully trying to attract and retrain.

Basically people can be sporting about being killed if there is actually a competition about it. Ie the worst ranked team in the league can congratulate the best ranked team for thrashing them in a game because they played fairly under the same rules and lost. But if 25ers have nothing to lose and sub-25ers do, then the sub-25er doesnt feel like they are in a fair competition, but rather like a hopeless slave condemned to die in gladiatorial amusement.... To summarise, basically fostering the feeling of fair competition promotes better feelings in an underdog than being made a sport of with no meaningful way of competing.

And to address NH's concerns about my suggestion effectively killing off PKing, here are the reasons why i disagree that it would kill off PKing:
1. Players only get put on the "wanted list" (where they risk EXP loss on a 25er) after X number of successful PKs of under-25ers in a 24hr period. Most 25ers would use the X to kill drop stealers or to enjoy PKing as is within this limit... it really only adds a risk people who choose to be excessive in Pking. So there would firstly still be Pking as is up to the current X per day
2. 25ers who exceed X still have the choice to continue Pking more if they like. This actually keeps more people playing the game actively. Because under the current system, after a PK happens usually 1 of the 2 parties ends up playing less... either the victim stops playing until the threat logs offline or the PKer must stop or risk breaking ToS (usually logging off or going idle)... either way you have a result where 50% of the people involved in a PK equation end up actively playing less of a game we want them to be playing/enjoying more of!
3. Players who really want to keep killing more than X with zero risk could just use a different 25er (e.g. not a slayer) to PK with or invest time in leveling a 2nd/3rd/4th slayer if they really must sneak around and do it (and hence rejoin the masses of mere mortals who are leveling)... Or they can just enjoy PKing in 'fair' fights vs other 25ers

Yes as NH pointed out, such a system doesnt 100% solve the issue of Pking harassment (ppl can still form gangs of 25ers to PK people etc) but it does naturally make it harder to do so for prolonged periods and adds an element of 'fairness' in the perception of new players... ie it is a solution that solves at least 80% of the problem naturally.

Now to me, the real question is what is the appropriate X number of PKs before being put on the 'wanted list' where the EXP loss risk applies. I think for a playerbase of our size it should start off small (my suggestion would be 1-3, keeping in mind that its a limit per 25er per day and many people have many 25ers) and be allowed to increase as the playerbase grows. Therefore everyone has the incentive to see the playerbase grow. Ppl who enjoy cultivating new players 'Defenders of Justice' style can do so more meaningfully knowing there is at least 1 way to scare a Pking 25er off (and inspire hope in those who are downtrodden that they might be able to defend themselves, "so keep playing and dont quit!")... and people who's main enjoyment of the game is in PKing can continue to Pk at their will (if thats what they choose to do, bearing the slight risk).

I guess like Daedroth, I too feel like ive reached the point that i've said all i have to say with my suggestion at this point (bar clarifications). I think i've logically laid out a viable solution as best that i can (not a 100% solve, but a natural deterrent for excessive Pking and a point of hope for newbie underdogs which is a big move in the right direction). Hopefully NH will give it more consideration in light of not many other viable ideas seeming to have arisen yet... but if not then all I can say is "best of luck to EO" and choose to play (or not play) as much as suits me under the current system.
Last edited by anthriel on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am

i still say a criminal system would help this alot :popcorn: :ugeek:
HomeGrown

Folder

Postby Folder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 pm

I think the entire point of killing under 25s is that it's not a fair fight. This is in fact the basis for the power structure in this game (and basically every other leveling based game). You start out weaker, you work your way up. It's SUPPOSED to be unfair until you reach the top. That's why you level, and that's why leveling is rewarding.
<Silhouette>

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Yes but there is also risk/reward in almost all other games.. Crim status barring you from towns for X amount of time. Givees people reasons to pk/pkk. As Lat says, I hate to reference games like wow/uo allll the time, but there is a reason people so it. They set the standard to handle pvp based games by.
HomeGrown

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Ardrahz wrote:Yes but there is also risk/reward in almost all other games.. Crim status barring you from towns for X amount of time. Givees people reasons to pk/pkk.

Crim status could be a thing but how long would that occur for, and it makes it super easy for someone who can hide to literally just hide until its over.

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm

The way this game is set up though, at least it gives a perimeter to get revenge. At least 2-3 mins. i.e. - "He got me between bit and turen!"
HomeGrown

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Could even go as far as after a certain number of kills, they become a murderer and can not reenter town until they die? Just an idea to both let PKing continue, but gives people a chance to get their revenge. As it stands now, pking is all reward(loot/gold/fun) with very low risk of death. /i gemini and tyrargo if you dont believe me :lol:
HomeGrown

Return to “Archive Chat”