pk ideas thread

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: pk ideas thread

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:53 pm

anthriel wrote:post

What I am saying though is, I get the EXP thing, but theres no way I could leave the EXP cap right at level 25. It would have to be 5 or 10% over cap. Losing your level simply from one death to me is very weird design. I however get your idea otherwise. So I.E. If your level 25 exp is 200mil, then your cap would be 210-220mil.

Could even go as far as after a certain number of kills, they become a murderer and can not reenter town until they die?

Also disallowing someone to enter until they die is weird as well . It would have to be both either time based or when they die.

It also prevents people from moving freely. Unless the difference would be instead that they can be PK'd anywhere for X amount of minutes rather then barred. Because they'll be locked in one area. Killing one person then getting locked to 50 squares because of the way the towns are setup would feel slow, very slow and boring.

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:13 pm

i feel we just need a fun way to spark PKK interest
If he kills more than 3 ppl an our, make it an event, he cant safely log, bcast get made. 1st to kill gets 1-5pp?
there are ways to abuse THAT
but you see where im going
Finding way to promote fighting back. Because as it stands, there is no reason to bother with it
and if person can survive 10mins we will say? they get 1-5 pp
HomeGrown

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:16 pm

There was also something about a criminal system that you said, but mixed in with the EXP loss or a risk of losing SB'd gear (lets say 5% when your a criminal per item) for example. That might be too extreme though, but I'm throwing everything here to spark discussion and ideas. Generally pking multiple times would make you a criminal for X time. Dying while you are a criminal will remove you from being a criminal but you'd lose EXP or the other idea was any gear on you SB or not has a chance to drop 5% putting risk on the PKer. Obviously people would freak out about losing something they just bought for huge amount of PP etc so I don't exactly feel thats = to a couple mill XP though. Losing XP would be better. But throwing ideas out there for people to discuss.

maverickhatter

Postby maverickhatter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 pm

I would agree with turning it into an event or hit list for pp. that actually sounds amazing. I would hate to have anyone lose exp for a level after grinding so hard to hit 25 cause that is grueling. I would favor anything that brings more event like opportunities to the game.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Someone was claiming they did something similar in NM where at max level you'd lose XP and it hurt the game a huge deal, just throwing that out there too, not sure how valid it is, maybe someone can talk about it as I see NM similar to ROK and it's good to get info if a similar game has done it.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 pm

NiteHawk wrote:Someone was claiming they did something similar in NM where at max level you'd lose XP and it hurt the game a huge deal, just throwing that out there too, not sure how valid it is, maybe someone can talk about it as I see NM similar to ROK and it's good to get info if a similar game has done it.

It ruined pvp and then slowly ruined the game. You did lose exp to every level not just if a lower level killed you but yea I'd be very careful about that.

I think a good first step is reducing exp loss to deaths if the player is higher level than you. You still loose good equipment and have to walk back.

Miach

Postby Miach » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50 pm

A few hardcore PvP games I've played introduced criminal status where if caught you had to buy back your gear from a jailer.

While that was interesting it wasn't fun. Instead I suggest:

Pay a fee of gold based on the extremity if your criminal status. Think elder scrolls getting caught by a guard with bounty in your head. You have to pay it.

Bounty variable accumulates over time, takes way longer to go away than to gain.

Example: gain 5k bounty per kill, bounty diminishes at 1k per hour. Person who kills the criminal gets 10% of the bounty as reward and criminal goes to jail instead of temple respawn. To get out of jail the bounty must reach zero or be paid by the criminal.

I am fully in favor of the above system and it can be tweaked if the suggested amounts of bounty are too high or too low.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 pm

NiteHawk wrote:There was also something about a criminal system that you said, but mixed in with the EXP loss or a risk of losing SB'd gear (lets say 5% when your a criminal per item) for example. That might be too extreme though, but I'm throwing everything here to spark discussion and ideas. Generally pking multiple times would make you a criminal for X time. Dying while you are a criminal will remove you from being a criminal but you'd lose EXP or the other idea was any gear on you SB or not has a chance to drop 5% putting risk on the PKer. Obviously people would freak out about losing something they just bought for huge amount of PP etc so I don't exactly feel thats = to a couple mill XP though. Losing XP would be better. But throwing ideas out there for people to discuss.

Agree that there would have to be some penalty/risk to dying as a 25er if there was criminal system that was to work in relation to deterring excessive PKing... otherwise it's pointless ... Heck if no consequence to dying then. id Pk someone and then let the nearest mob kill me so I could just re-enter town quickly... Not that I really have any a reason to enter town except that the game map doesn't leave alternative for me to get around the world except by going through towns like bit/turen/linwood/canopia.

I get what folder is saying about the power structure of games like this and I'm not trying to overhaul 99.9% of it... I just think there needs to be a small chink in the 25er's immortal/consequenceless dying that allows people a way to fight back and cause them to think twice about trying for a PK... Otherwise what happens when all the existing players have finished levelling a 25er of every class and there are no new players coming up because it's too intimidating...Who do you kill then? Sounds like a dead game (ie glorified chat room) by then and it's probably too late at that stage to fix it. Basically the main reason we are having this entire discussion at all is because of low player base and the existing system (esp as time goes by) will just make it harder for new players to climb the power structure and with not much reward for them (ie even if they can finally reach 25 club they will likely find they can't kill the ppl that used to kill them who are no longer levelling and must now only just pass it forward to even more newbies - repeating the cycle)

If exp loss in unpalatable as a punishment then my only other suggestion (ie the only other thing that might meaningfully impact a 25er) would be to lose X PP if killed by a sub-25er (lore wise this fits too as u literally lose prestige) ... However I like this idea somewhat less than my previous suggestion because it's a less natural fix and open to more abuse... Eg as was mentioned in the previous posts about the suggestion of losing gold, it doesn't have any bite it if you have zero PP (unless you allow accounts to go negative but then ppl will probably just create new accounts and move all their crits over in order to at least get back to zero etc)

I mean another quite effective solution (which I offer only in jest to illustrate the imbalance of power in a newbie's perception) would probably be for PKers to extort 'protection money' from newbie levellers to leave them alone.... But of course this would make EO similar to the mafia and even more super unfriendly to newbies joining us.

I don't know anymore. I feel too invested in this already. Of course existing players who have worked hard to get 25ers want to keep/hold every shred of power that they can... But if it's too imbalanced vs new player then I feel that isn't good for any of us who want longevity of game and larger playerbase either. So hopefully my contributions here have given players and NH some things to consider from a new player perspective. Thanks to all who actually took the time to read my long posts and give careful consideration to them.

Miach

Postby Miach » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm going to bump my own reply on the previous page.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:25 am

Miach wrote:...Pay a fee of gold based on the extremity if your criminal status. Think elder scrolls getting caught by a guard with bounty in your head. You have to pay it.

Bounty variable accumulates over time, takes way longer to go away than to gain.

Example: gain 5k bounty per kill, bounty diminishes at 1k per hour. Person who kills the criminal gets 10% of the bounty as reward and criminal goes to jail instead of temple respawn. To get out of jail the bounty must reach zero or be paid by the criminal...

Thats pretty much what I said a page or more back.
Except it was only jail if no money on the criminal.
REVENGE IS MINE!
:popcorn:

Ps.
Making the Pker lose exp... doesnt work. Characters do not lose levels, you lose exp until 25th aye, but you cannot actually go back in levels. So how would it work? Only 25th can go back a level? Then as NH says you would need to increase the max exp a 25ther can hold. It also costs a lot to level to 25th, although you could look at that as the "risk of pking".
The Dropping soulbound stuff... seems like a bad idea to me. How would it work? Reason why it COULD make sense is your God is peeved you are going around killing people... however then you would really need to expand on the whole religion thing, I mean I am sure Fire god would like you kiling Night/Ice divs right? Nah... I do not like that.
You would need a piety rating? Donation to the church to increase and stuff... meh... too much hassle.
Soulbound should be soulbound if not then it should apply to everyone.
Plus it has the potential of being used as a free unsb scroll :D Be a pain to make it work like that but still do-able.
Then what about clan fights/events?
You would also need to have it so that it only worked on a pker (as in the initiated an attack against a non pker, and if you can check that someone initiated an attack like that, then surely you could use a criminal system then... but, I did say I wouldnt post again...).
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”