Every Update.

Kinetic

Every Update.

Postby Kinetic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Every single time the EO client gets updated my AV tries to flag it as malware... why? lol

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: Every Update.

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 pm

The coding is obfuscated and AV programs tend to dislike it. I don't have money for a code signing certificate as its like 177$ for three years. Code signing pretty much will reduce false positives by 99% though.

Obfuscation prevents the client from being decompiled so people cannot make their own clients or advantages. The downfall is that AVs tend to want to 'look at' the coding via decompiling which some AV programs don't like. I assume you have AVAST but they don't seem to care to whitelist me even though I have them check the file manually (in which they declare it 'safe' and push a false positive report).

There's very little I can do about it though, the stupid thing is VirusTotal claims avast is OK with the file. I'll be trying other methods of obfuscation next patch but can't really guarantee anything.

Yue

Postby Yue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Charter memberships to afford certificate! XD

Folder

Postby Folder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:58 pm

NiteHawk wrote:The coding is obfuscated and AV programs tend to dislike it. I don't have money for a code signing certificate as its like 177$ for three years. Code signing pretty much will reduce false positives by 99% though.

Obfuscation prevents the client from being decompiled so people cannot make their own clients or advantages. The downfall is that AVs tend to want to 'look at' the coding via decompiling which some AV programs don't like. I assume you have AVAST but they don't seem to care to whitelist me even though I have them check the file manually (in which they declare it 'safe' and push a false positive report).

There's very little I can do about it though, the stupid thing is VirusTotal claims avast is OK with the file. I'll be trying other methods of obfuscation next patch but can't really guarantee anything.

Could try and crowdfund the cost.
<Silhouette>

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:37 am

Folder wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:The coding is obfuscated and AV programs tend to dislike it. I don't have money for a code signing certificate as its like 177$ for three years. Code signing pretty much will reduce false positives by 99% though.

Could try and crowdfund the cost.

This.
Get something running and ill put in 20 pounds
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 am

Alright we can try that. What would be a good place to crowdfund anyways?

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 am

Kinetic wrote:Every single time the EO client gets updated my AV tries to flag it as malware... why? lol

I installed Avast to do testing but did not get any warnings.
When I launched the EXE it said it was going to do a quick 15 second scan, did it, and verified the file was OK. Is there anything specific you are doing to the antivirus program that could be non-default behavour?

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 am

NiteHawk wrote:Alright we can try that. What would be a good place to crowdfund anyways?

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/

I tested this out a bit, it seems to work with small amounts.
You would need to be the one populating stuff, though - mainly due to location and bank details.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Folder

Postby Folder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am

gofundme is also a thing. Never used myself but I know people who liked it enough. I think you do lose like 8% in the end though so just watch out for that.
<Silhouette>

Aftershock

Postby Aftershock » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:25 am

Could do a GoFundMe and raise some cash.

Or

Get the whole donate thing setup.
Aftershock

Return to “Archive Chat”