All races can be all classes

Sicx

All races can be all classes

Postby Sicx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Why did we do this again? I feel like it would have been a lot easier balancing classes and races otherwise. Might not have been able to be a Horc Thief, etc, or Slayer. When the difference in stats is so far between races I would say there's always going to be some complications in this area. It's nice seeing diversity, don't get me wrong, I think think it's always going to be a little weird to balance a Horc and a Halfling Brig
In game: Diablo, Satan, Sicx, Nyte
Guardians of Darkness

Inverno

Re: All races can be all classes

Postby Inverno » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Having a Saurian Priest, a almost Death Mage Dwarf and soon a HO Guardian, i dunno if they are a balance problem. Usually they cant use their class skills at full power, even if they are fun to play.

The brig class is underused actually and dont have too many skills, so HO Brigs are good. If they get new abilities focused on AGi and INT, HO will become underrated like other unusual race x class combinations.
Inverno - Saurian Priest
--
Lutz - Drakeblood Ninja
Kim - Elf Ninja
Mai - Elemental Ninja
Olrox - Dwarf DeathMage
Tumbizaletalayer - Half Orc Guardian
Bastian - Goblin Cavalier Bark Bark!
Neymar - Saurian Stalker
Mime - Saurian Minstrel

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:14 pm

If you don't like the race/class combo you aren't forced to do it. We give recommendations. There is no need to limit people if they wanna derp and have a little fun with a random race/class combo. Up to the player past recommendations.

Terron

Postby Terron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 pm

i like being able to choose whatever i want, some will be cookie cutters, some will be like my half orc priest.

i think the problem here is the that the game is heavily stat dependent and it needs to be lowered a bit, without really changing the top end. take a cavalier for example, a 25 str half orc hits like 230 and a 16 str gnome would hit like 140. i mean yeah its your choice but where is the line drawn. you cant possibly keep the game balanced with a spread like that. i think that the stats are overly important, where level doesn't add as much value as stats do. i mean changing the formulas a bit so lower stats don't suck quite as much but still stand no chance is doable. it would make all the many combinations usable. but in the grand scope 95% of players only play cookie cutters anyway.

i think the way to remedy this the easiest is to base the stats on the full range of stats available. 10 -24 in most cases. currently 17 or less on a stat score is almost completely unusable. a stat of 10 should be around where 15 is currently, so every character that isnt maxed gets a boost, more of a boost for less stats and less of a boost for higher stats. this still wouldn't make the cookie cutters any worse

the other thing that really needs done is racial content such as race locked towns/ oads/ equipment and events. also could use a race chat that can be toggled for some of these events. this way the entire content isnt huge clan vs huge clan while small clans watch for scraps. racial content can inspire some new friendships and coop strategies outside of the current guild meta. i think it would be good overall.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 am

Terron wrote:... the other thing that really needs done is racial content such as race locked towns/ oads/ equipment and events ...

EEEK! Racism introduced into the game!
There was an old game I played (not mmo, Knights of Legend) that actually had shops where certain races couldn't buy gear from. Imagine Elf towns that wont let horcs/goblins/saurias/dwarfs enter or shop; those damn snobby elves. This would add some realism, but eh I think it is best to keep towns more neutral. Maybe some lore race specific locations/towns (we have Drevlar).
Although race based gear and events would be fun, +1 that.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Terron

Postby Terron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58 am

i wouldnt put in race town areas and racial oads to coincide them until the game is alot larger. but it is something to think about/pen to journal for the builders. if the game had 20 nuetral cities and 8 or so racial ones it should be fine. some of the race areas could be tied into the current areas aswell, like a small area off the side of drevlar that is bias to dwarf only, etc. some wouldnt have a town like half orc/half elf.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Reckqq

Postby Reckqq » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm

daedroth wrote:
Terron wrote:... the other thing that really needs done is racial content such as race locked towns/ oads/ equipment and events ...

There was an old game I played (not mmo, Knights of Legend) that actually had shops where certain races couldn't buy gear from. Imagine Elf towns that wont let horcs/goblins/saurias/dwarfs enter or shop; those damn snobby elves. This would add some realism, but eh I think it is best to keep towns more neutral. Maybe some lore race specific locations/towns (we have Drevlar).

Yeah I played a great game like that too. The cities had reputation tied to them and depending on your race you would have to work alot harder to get past the guards and gain access to the village and the shops. While an Elf could just waltz right into the elf town.
:evil: TJ Lethal :twisted:

Sicx

Postby Sicx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Not that I'm necessarily against the idea. It just seems like it would have been easier to balance otherwise.
In game: Diablo, Satan, Sicx, Nyte
Guardians of Darkness

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:17 am

Reckqq wrote:
daedroth wrote:

Yeah I played a great game like that too. The cities had reputation tied to them and depending on your race you would have to work alot harder to get past the guards and gain access to the village and the shops. While an Elf could just waltz right into the elf town.

Well it does make sense. If in the lore there race 1 hates race 2 and race 1 have a city, it is doubtful race 2 would be well recieved (if at all; no entry, increased shopping costs etc. Be funny to add randomly generated attacks against poor race 2).
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”