Daily Quest System

Lateralus

Daily Quest System

Postby Lateralus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

The Daily Quest system is still a work in progress but I wanted to give you guys a little preview since its pretty close to complete atm.

How it will work
Every day after reset 2 random quest givers representing their town will appear in Sleeping Bard Inn/Seamoor Gates and will offer a quest that they need help with. (Right now we have a pool of 15 quest givers but will expand on that as time goes on.)

There will be 2 types of quests a Casual quest and a Veteran quest. The casual ones should take about 10-20mins and range from 20-24. The veteran ones could take anywhere from 30-60+ mins and range from 22-25.

The quests will include regular npc kills, hourly npc kills and item collections. Rewards will be good gold, exp and champions mark(s). Casual will usually reward 1 champions mark and veteran usually reward 2. Max you will be able to receive 3 champions marks each day on each character (keep in mind these are player bound however rewards are not). However most of the veteran quests require hourly or even up to 3 hour mini bosses to complete so its unlikely you can complete the veteran quests on more than a few characters.

These quests will send players to a certain area (encouraging interaction). Everyone will be on the same daily quest every day and since some need hourly monsters to complete hopefully people will compete over them. They will require a mix of npcs kills and items meaning you cant just fly through in a group youll still need to collect items for each player in the group.

There will also be a few collect only quests which involve players collecting certain weapons and armors and turning those in for collectors. These may be easy for those of you that have stock piled items but could be rather hard for those who have to grind out a dreadfang for example. This will be a great way for us to get some items out of the economy as well as reward you guys a bit for items that are hard to acquire but also have no market demand.

Rewards
You will be rewarded about 125% gold and exp reward on standard quests per level and the vet quests will reward about 250%. You will also receive the champion's mark each time you complete one of these. These tokens can be crafted into various rewards and will encourage players to log on each day to complete these. Right now there is no reward for doing them in consecutive days but if the system goes well I would like to see that added.

Ideally we would have increasing rewards for consecutive days completed but atm thats not possible but its something im working on figuring out. Think 1 day you get standard rewards but 3 days in a row you get an extra 5k gold pouch and 7 days in a row you get say an extra 20k gold pouch. The idea is to have players logging in each day and being active and interacting.

Here is an example of one of the daily quests:

Name=Reinforcements in Fort Huldar
Giver=War Commander

Level=23

We are losing the battle in the Dreadlands and need more reinforcements. I need you to head to the Dreadlands, reduce their numbers, and collect some much needed supplies. Complete this mission and head back to me with with the required materials.

I need you need to kill 4Dreadbeasts, 4 Dracokin, 4 Vila Traps, 4 Charmstresses, and 4 Void Elementals. I also need you to collect 3 dreadhides, 3 void fragments, and 3 void ooze. Finish that and report back to me.

Rewards:
Exp:2,500,000
Gold:3,000
Items: Champion's Mark

As you can see they are pretty straight forward but have some pretty good rewards as well.

Champions Mark Rewards: (will be bind on pickup)

NEW MARKS EXCHANGE RATE

Rewards
Champion's Marks Reward Item Info
1 - 1000 Gold Pouch
5 - 10% Experience Booster
5 - 5% Gold Booster
10 - Life Essence
10 - Energy Essence
15 - Contender's Ring 3hp,3mp
15 - 2% Ember of your choice
30 - 3% Ember of your choice
35 - ***Contender's Boots 3ac (green value)
35 - ***Contender's Gloves 3ac (green value)
40 - Copper Heroic Coin
50 - Scroll of Unbinding
75 - Champion's Ring 8hp, 8mp
100 - 50mil exp scroll
125 - ***Champion's Boots 6ac (+1 blue value)
125 - ***Champion's Gloves 6ac (+1 blue value)
150 - **Champion's Sabre Account bound purple level 20, 25% damage against ALL npc (cannot unbind from account)
150 - **Champion's Battlestaff
150 - **Champion's Knife
150 - **Champion's Morning Star
150 - **Champion's Crossbow
150 - **Champion's Broadaxe

** coming with update soon.

Ticket to timed bonus zone area**

**Ticket to timed bonus zone area (think timed instanced cow level from d2).
You have a set amount of time to kill npcs that will drop certain items etc. rates will be posted on forums so players can make a choice of what they want to attempt to kill.

Whats left to do:

///maybe add 2-3 more quests and test
//create reward room and crafts for item rewards (maybe in seamoor in basement?)
//finalize rates for turn in items
create boots/gloves/necklace
create pve weapons
create pve equipment

As i said before the script to make this happen and the npcs are complete so the system is very close atm. Hopefully we can have this out by next week but just wanted to give you guys a heads up of what I am working on.

Inverno

Re: Daily Quest System

Postby Inverno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am

Sounds good. The quest can be completed in every char u have?

And cow level is lie.
Inverno - Saurian Priest
--
Lutz - Drakeblood Ninja
Kim - Elf Ninja
Mai - Elemental Ninja
Olrox - Dwarf DeathMage
Tumbizaletalayer - Half Orc Guardian
Bastian - Goblin Cavalier Bark Bark!
Neymar - Saurian Stalker
Mime - Saurian Minstrel

Folder

Postby Folder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 pm

This sounds great. Perhaps a little high on items needed with that dreads quest example, but otherwise great idea here.
<Silhouette>

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Quick thoughts: the idea and aim sounds great and much needed.

I do however have some concerns about how the idea and aims are being proposed to be addressed tho.... especially in how long/grind-like the daily quests seem to be. To me that proposed type of quest seems to be mixing 2 aims (1. providing random end game things to do for bored committed players; and 2. providing incentives to log in daily for bored casual players) which would be better separated to achieve both aims better.

Most games that have a "daily log-in rewards/incentive system" tend to make that reward relatively lucrative for relatively little effort. This is because they are aimed at keeping the casual player (who has not much time to play and may be growing bored and tempted to quit altogether) to keep logging in and at least touching base with the game by offering them 'low hanging fruit'. The proposed quests don't really sound like 'low hanging fruit' (more like massive chore-like grinds) and so such a casual player would probably be disincentivised do bother even trying to do them (esp if I was a casual player who only could play say 1hr a day at times when there aren't large parties online etc). To a casual player, completing the proposed quests could be more onerous/boring (time/cost wise) than even doing an OAD (which already many players cbb doing)

It's all good to have some random quests to give committed players endgame things to do. But I think that should be separated from a "daily log-in rewards system" which should aim at keeping casual players logging in.

This might look like:
- keep daily quests of a longer nature like Lat proposed (catering for the super commited players who are bored) but also add an easier/shorter (but still lucrative) daily quest that acts as a 'low hanging fruit daily log-in reward' catering to retain the casual players who are bored and thinking of dropping off radar altogether
- randomise the daily quest system such that some days it could be as easy as only gathering 5 items/kill but other days may be as long as the eg Lat posted. This way casual players still have to log in to see if today is an 'easy quest day' and single/casual players can still get bothered at least to care to check what the daily quest is cos they may be able to do them some days. Perhaps greater rewards then would be warranted for those who do complete the daily quests in consecutive days (eg commited do the easy and the hard days).

Shrugs.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 pm

@anthriel

I agree with the fact this should be directed towards casual players since I believe thats where the retention problem is atm.

Keep in mind this is just a starting point for the daily quest system if it does well and people enjoy it we would have a daily quests per day (some easy some a bit harder). The ones we do have vary a bit and this is one of the harder/longer ones for sure.

Like I said we currently have 7 quests ready to go as well as the script working to select a random quest giver and make it available for players to do. These quests should around 10-20mins to complete. Once we see how these first quests do I would like to introduce weekend bonus quests that are a bit harder to complete but also reward a bit better.

The actual rewards are still a work in progress but I just wanted to give you an idea of what we are thinking basically.

Terron

Postby Terron » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 am

casual players need a way to gather exp quicker. i mean the game is pretty quick, outside looking in, but ingame not so much. there is little to do that isnt 25er related. even things like seta pillars and whatever other repeatable quests are for 23-24s are hoarded by 25ers.
there is no chance in hell a level 24 is living through pillars for 1.5m exp.

things like divine deflector 3m exp boost yay awesome...wait itsss only for a 25er..why even have exp reward on it.

i started the game on a drake monk, was told oh their the best start up, get level 24 brave a couple oads die horribly to casters hitting 20+ times in a row. lose my drive to exp. finally tough it out and basically crit was worthless pvp in the current time. now to realize that and start a new character and sadly look on as every chance you have to help you jump on your sole 25er and are just incinerated. mr got changed first time and meta turned into slayerville again, whatever agi you had didnt matter horc just dbl stabbed u dead. now its a little better but mage armies just roast all non mages in a round or 2...cant say a slayer army wouldnt do the same tho

we are losing alot of players cus they arent familiar with a 3 tier triangle combat system (mr>magic>melee>mr). the system isnt exactly balanced is a big problem. leading to peoples first week or 2 ingame and first 25er feeling like "the ultimate waste of time", as its weakness is overexposed in group fights repeatedly. i think the problem stems more from low str doing poor damage than it does from mr not working.(except zerk) #1 problem is quests are slow and solo exping is horrible. topped off with actually finding a group to party with they do your quests in 5 minutes and ur stuck only grinding solo on free time. or they say "quests suck lets hit trails"

maybe a batch of quests designed for new players to achieve a 25er fairly quick?(casually) and a way to limit the abuse of the system. maybe even a pick one of a few preset characters that achieve 25 through a tutorial system. a learning system with some npc fights/explanations on mr etc.

almost different topic worthy, but i feel overall quest systems are lacking all over, especially considering the quests all seem higher required in level than they need to be. quests are meant to appeal to everyone, not just say "fk it lets hit trails"

another thing that might help is dropping final stam to 23 or 24, and giving real incentive to be a 25er by saving a skill or something until 25 instead of stam(example: slayers lose autosneak and track until 25 but gain 4th stamina at 23). might even get more levelers into oading/fighting earlier. think it would be better overall especially after exp loss goes away.

dunno, just food for thought.

ftr imma really dig daily stuff, might be hard to hit the long grindy stuff every day but the casual stuff sounds great.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 am

Lateralus wrote:@anthriel

I agree with the fact this should be directed towards casual players since I believe thats where the retention problem is atm.

Keep in mind this is just a starting point for the daily quest system if it does well and people enjoy it we would have a daily quests per day (some easy some a bit harder). The ones we do have vary a bit and this is one of the harder/longer ones for sure.

Like I said we currently have 7 quests ready to go as well as the script working to select a random quest giver and make it available for players to do. These quests should around 10-20mins to complete. Once we see how these first quests do I would like to introduce weekend bonus quests that are a bit harder to complete but also reward a bit better.

The actual rewards are still a work in progress but I just wanted to give you an idea of what we are thinking basically.

Appreciate your work. Just to clarify my main feedback is that as a casual player who usually goes around in solo or small parties and doesn't enjoy grinding, i probably wouldn't even touch or care to know about the daily quests if they are all of the nature/length as the example you gave. You said they are meant to take 10-20mins and this would be good. But there's no way killing 50 mobs and collecting 15 items would take 10-20mins unless you had full party of 6 (ie if so u r prolly a committed player in big guild playing at peak times rather than casual player)... In fact even with full party if 6 I'm not sure it can be done for all 6 in 10-20mins. Mathematically I think it's probably impossible to do that quest solo in 10-20min with exh time taken into acct.

Basically therefore my feedback is make the quests simpler/faster/less onerous if intending to incentivise casual players to care (ie don't set your trial up to fail b4 it starts). Leave them as is only if aim is to cater for committed players who want endgame entertainment rather than casuals who have a spare 10-20mins n wonder whether they should log into EO or do something else.

Peace.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am

Yes initially i thought lets try to balance out these quests so vets have something to do for a while and casual players have something to log on for and do quickly. Thing is those two dont exactly overlap. My solution is to have 2 daily quest givers. one that is more casual about 10-15 mins for a solo player with a smaller yet good reward and a second quest giver that is a bit more challenging with a greater reward. This way both will have an option and if either of the playerbase wants to cross over there is that option too.

As for the champions rewards thats easily fixed by adjusting out the rewards.

Now the build team and I have about 3-5 more quests to write and I need to space out the rewards a bit but this system should still be on track to hit the game this weekend or early next week no problem. It might not have a ton of quests from the start but atleast 5 casual and 5 indepth.

The rewards will probably just start with 1-20 (up to pp tokens) until we can get the equipment created (not something anyone will be able to create for a few weeks anyways). Keep in mind these tokens will be bound to the player who completes the quest. yes you can do the quests on all players in your account but the tokens are bound so make room in your vault or player inventory (they do stack up to 99).

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Updated top post. currently testing the crafts otherwise system is ready to go in.

Here is what the system will be launching with either tomorrow or early next week:

Summary:

6 casual daily quests
7 veteran daily quests
(1 of each will spawn every day, seamoor tavern and seamoor gates)

will have above average exp and gold rewards as well as a champion's mark (crafting token to make rewards)

champion's mark rewards

Champion's Marks Reward Item
1 1000 Gold Pouch
3 4000 Gold Pouch
5 10% Experience Booster
5 5% Gold Booster
10 Life Essence
Energy Essence
12 2% Ember of your choice
15 25000 Gold Pouch
25 Copper Heroic Coin
30 3% Ember of your choice
35 Scroll of Unbinding

I am still working on a few of the item scripts so those wont be available for the first week or so but it will take longer than that to save up for them anyways.

Here is what to come

More quests (will keep adding to these as time goes on)

More rewards here is what is coming hopefully within a week from now
30 Champion's Boots (1ac maybe 2% humaniod npc bane)
Champion's Gloves (1ac maybe 2% humaniod npc bane)
50 Champion's Necklace (1ac maybe 5% humaniod npc bane)
75 Champion's Weapons (purple level 20 maybe 20% humaniod npc bane)

Future Rewards
Rings
Armors
Portal to timed bonus instance

Folder

Postby Folder » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Cool stuff man, thanks for your efforts.
<Silhouette>

Return to “Archive Chat”