What's Needed

NiteHawk
Site Admin

What's Needed

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:18 am

Hey guys.

I'm going to start this off, and if people come up with more we will add it. What I want is a small list of what the community can do to make this progress go faster. We already have a lot of people who want to assist in various ways, we just need to put them to good use!

What we need:
-Art: We need art packs found. Don't buy them yet, but link them in the arts forum. If someone could do that for the old stuff we found (The medieval stuff and also the item packs people found.) that would be great. It will also give us a tally on what we need to spend and figure out how cheap we can get everything so we don't have anything wasted. We are also looking for artists. I believe Muffin said she will be helping with items too if she gets the time which is helpful!

--Cut & Splice Art: Lots of good and free images are on this post here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29 .. HOWEVER, some of them require a license, some don't. I don't mind attaching a text file to our installation with 'general credits' . I.E.
This image here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/3206155299/ made by Torley, You click the 'Some restrictions apply' and it says you can use it in commercial & modify but must credit the author. This is 'fine'. What I need is the images spliced up, and any iamge that requires credit, add them in a text file and attach that once done. I only need the author once and the images we're adding (the title of them.) with his name. The minimum requirements to check for are that it can be commercial and be modified. Or that it's free to use 100%.

Image Sizes:
Items - 32x32 minimum, though look over is 96x96. If you can get the size to 96x96 then do so, but don't worry about it.
Characters- 96x96.
Rooms - 339x225, or 1x:0.66x. So 800x530 ish could work too, etc. Pretty much just aim for it to be bigger then 339x225 and scale up. Simple way is to get the width first, then multiply it by 0.66 to get the height. The image is stretched or shrank automatically so it's not really a big deal.

-Content: We need a starting area plotted out, as well as descriptions for it. Think Syndar in it's designs. Very simple, and not so cluttered. It obviously does not need to be a huge area too. I will try to get the server online as soon as possible, I have a great idea on how I can give access to parts of server without risking anything. This also goes for items and monsters too. This is not referring to the actual 'files' yet, but if someone wants to, use the content forum and google docs to keep everything nice and neat. I believe we have a couple people who were willing.

-Interface Skin: We got a basic one right now, needs adjusting. Not worried about it yet but it's on the list of stuff that will need doing once the client is released.

-Formulas: This is a big one. We need all the damage/dodge/hp/etc formulas. Lat found a damage calculator. I cannot say if its 100%, but it's close anyways. Throw these in the 'Core' forum.

-Class/Race Bonuses, Skills, and Spells: We need data on class/races. For example, a Ninja gets a roundhouse attack after landing 3 successful (which include armor hits, even if fully absorbed) for %%% more damage. Druids get a morph that grants them STR/AGI for X seconds per WIS/INT. Dark Elves can see in the dark. Sorcs get a burst that does XXX-XXX damage range per INT. This also ties in with the formulas above too but should be put in the Race/Class forums.

--

Lat had a couple more but I lost those forums. Add here and I will add to this post.

Kawasaki

Re: What's Needed

Postby Kawasaki » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:26 am

Are we going with DND based on all of the characters and such in game? It is open source so we are able to use this however we like. If so that would make monsters and dieties a lot easier, we follow the formula's given through DND

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:00 pm

I can get started on the starter town and its immediate outskirts, then toss it up on the forums for people to offer suggestions on. As well as the lore related stuff if the offer I made to set the game in a world I have built is one you're still considering.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Zeroun

Postby Zeroun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:04 pm

How do you want us to make maps? Via your map maker?

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Do we know what happened to the wiki? Because that held most if not all the information needed. While I am sure most can remember some of the info it would just be a lot easier to grab it off there.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm

DND monsters work. RoK didn't keep ties to things like Kobolds, Goblins, and Trolls. So go nuts with any monster. The thing is again it must come from us, that's it. It can have similar monsters, since they are pretty DND specific anyways.

Sure, the map maker is a good one to plot anyways. (Can get it at http:://chrisvall.com).

Once we get going I'll start assigning proper roles to people who earned them. For now its good to google docs it and collaborate and we'll see what needs changing/etc. Feel free to post what you guys have for ideas. I know you guys sent me some PMs but post them up and get talking with others. 8)

Wikis back up.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 am

I've posted a new one about cuting and splicing images for the game that Ember found. Look at above post.

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am

I'm installing blender as we speak in order to mess around with the new files that were posted to see what I can accomplish.

Scytso

Postby Scytso » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:49 pm

When talking about classes and races are we going to be using all the originals from RoK or are we going to be making our own with our own calculations? I wouldnt mind working on the mathematical part of the game or working with Lat on it together since he is the only one i have ever worked with that i know can balance lol. I would offer to do art... but i havent done art since Aleveria and Alura so im fairly out of touch. I could always make some of those realy horrible sound tracks that RoK had for looped over room sounds haha.

Scytso

Postby Scytso » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:21 pm

I feel as an artist or a previous artist that we should NOT sure any stolen art or art that is bought in packs it will give the game a generic feeling and not to mention anyone else could use the art in there games as well. There are MANY talented artist among the Rok community and we should allow them to make the game feel like home. Not only would it give us custom art but it would make the game feel unique in its own way and make the players that create the art feel like more than a Photoshop gimp. I strongly urge to please make custom art it was a huge part of the reason a lot of ppl loved rok.

Return to “Archive Chat”