upgrading to windows 10

Lateralus

upgrading to windows 10

Postby Lateralus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:30 pm

So i got 2 days left and have been putting it off. Id like to take the free upgrade but have questions about some things.

What happens to my windows 7 key? i usually format about once a year so i am still going to need a key will I still have the windows 7 key as well? will i get a new windows 10 key?

Can i have icons on my desktop and if so how? i leave my desktop littered with files and crap im working on will i still be able to do that?

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Re: upgrading to windows 10

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:05 am

Lateralus wrote:So i got 2 days left and have been putting it off. Id like to take the free upgrade but have questions about some things.

What happens to my windows 7 key? i usually format about once a year so i am still going to need a key will I still have the windows 7 key as well? will i get a new windows 10 key?

Can i have icons on my desktop and if so how? i leave my desktop littered with files and crap im working on will i still be able to do that?

Pretty sure you can still use your windows 7 key as windows 7. It's not a new key. If you uninstall completely and reinstall you won't be able to get windows 10 again. You'll probably need to use the repair that comes with windows 10 to reinstall/reformat rather then starting from windows 7. Same thing though, you can either select to format all in a new reinstall/refresh, or keep your old files.

Windows 10 doesn't really change much from Windows 7 except I would say it's faster, but also they add some shit I don't like that you need to clear out (OneDrive, all the sharing bullshit they want, trying to make you use a online account rather then local account, etc). Once you get past it, it's alright.

I highly recommend http://www.classicshell.net which will fix the startup to whatever you want, either the old school windows 95/98/2000 style (Which I still use and preach it's the fucking simplest and most fast), or the newer XP/7/etc styles.

I am thinking you think it's more like windows 8, where metro takes charge, but it's not really so much anymore. (And if you get classic shelL I believe it adjusts alot of bullshit for you and removes the metro from default, though I think in windows 10 it's not default anymore.) You can simply have desktop icons like regular. Still is the same way as it's always been.

Windows 8 is like the Windows ME of the the genre, they borked it alot, but realized and attempted to fix some of the crap. Alot of old features are back as defaults in Windows 10. It's not a bad product I'd say. It's not really going to effect much anyways from what I know. I'm using it with no problems and have my happy old school settings still in charge.

You don't really need the key from what I know afterwards, I\m pretty sure it saves it and you just reinstall or format and it keeps the needed files to remember stuff like that while clearing out everything (or keeping the files.)

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:39 pm

thanks for the heads up ive got like 12 hours so im going to go for it wish me well.

Elvis

Postby Elvis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Windows 10 is kinda horrible >.> I miss windows xp! lol
Elvis! The one and Only KING! P.S - Remember that!

Miach

Postby Miach » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 pm

If you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 and you need to replace hardware or reinstall the O/S for whatever reason, then you have two choices depending on the state of affairs at reinstallation:

1) The Troubleshooting menu is available and you do a fresh install from there, then it will just overwrite the O/S and allow you to keep Windows 10. An overlay install is also an option, keeping your upgrade product key available.

2) New hardware or you have to completely start over, you have to reinstall Windows 7 and then you can re-upgrade to Windows 10. Part of the upgrade process validates your Windows 7 key.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, I gave my Win7 key to my mother in law, but I could also ask her for it and re-upgrade and it would not invalidate her license. She uses Windows 7 solely.

Hopefully this gives you some insight.

Eld

Postby Eld » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Wow you guys bumped an old topic.

The normal free Windows 10 upgrade offer ended ages ago, but you can still get it if you claim you use their "assistive technologies", i.e. magnifying glass or narrator or whatever.
They perform no checks on this whatsoever

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessi ... s10upgrade

Probably worth adopting a "if it aint broke, dont fix it" attitude if your PC isnt relatively new though

Folder

Postby Folder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Elvis wrote:Windows 10 is kinda horrible >.> I miss windows xp! lol

Said only you, ever. :D
<Silhouette>

Elvis

Postby Elvis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 pm

lol possibly, but XP didn't take as much resources to run as nowadays OS's. Im just an old fart though ignore me! lol
Elvis! The one and Only KING! P.S - Remember that!

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 am

Folder wrote:
Elvis wrote:Windows 10 is kinda horrible >.> I miss windows xp! lol

Said only you, ever. :D

Nope, but replace XP with win7 :P
I refused to get win10 coz of the sneaky way they tried to force me into it (sneaking it into win 7 updates), and all the spyware poop that came with it. I remember the hassle I had trying to disable Cortana... bleh.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 am

Lets all agree on hating Windows 10.

Its nice too see us have something to hate in common.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

Return to “Archive Chat”