Background graphics

Styx

Background graphics

Postby Styx » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:13 am

If the background graphics were set where they alternated with a left and right side it would give the illusion of movement,.

Ie, a torch on left side, then move to next square the torch is on the right side. It would give the feel of movement through a room , and same doable with the walls changing as you walk down a corridor. Instead of just being the same exact picture

Thoughts? Ideas?

Miach

Re: Background graphics

Postby Miach » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Styx wrote:If the background graphics were set where they alternated with a left and right side it would give the illusion of movement,.

Ie, a torch on left side, then move to next square the torch is on the right side. It would give the feel of movement through a room , and same doable with the walls changing as you walk down a corridor. Instead of just being the same exact picture

Thoughts? Ideas?

Sure. It could add a little flavor.

Eld

Postby Eld » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:23 am

I agree this is a very good idea and would help a lot with immersion.
I'm sure this is the end goal they were aiming for as some areas do have this at the moment, but they're relatively rare from what i can remember?

This would take good coordinating between the art and build team to pull this off, artists would need to know to create several subtle variations on room art.

Similarly they would need to create a handy index of which images should be grouped together for one area so builders had an easy reference point to know image numbers 2800-2850 could all be used for a grassy path, whereas 2312-2319 were flame lit dungeon passageways.

Hopefully this is on the to do list at some point, but I'm guessing it's a lower priority than other stuff?

Metzger

Postby Metzger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 pm

We've got a level 20 - 22 leveling area coming in soon that does a little bit of this switching back and forth of images. I tested it out, and it's slightly dizzying, but also gives that feeling of "moving" while running. I'll leave it in and you guys can let me know how you feel about it.

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:26 am

I don't much care for this sort of effect because it triggers my motion sickness. But that's why the text only client exists, I suppose lol.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Cerebrus

Postby Cerebrus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:20 am

I started doing this effect back when I was creating art for Aleveria. I've done it a little bit for Ember in a few places. It's rather time consuming, but does look nice. I even built an entire 3D city, added all the textures, lighting, etc and walked through the city rendering pics from different angles to give the effect of walking through the city. Took a long time to do, but the result was amazing. Now imagine designing several different cities and doing that (so they dont all look the same). If I were dedicating my time to just art, I would do this for Ember for sure, but I enjoy the building side of it more lol

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 am

I'm not sure I agree with this in fast areas. I think it would look too rough on your eyes and strain your eyes. I get you wanna do this but I think it needs to be not every single square or use differ images.

Look at Seamoor for example. It has a image per square that Silverone made specifically for that square. its a better then rapid alternating and won't give you that sickness feeling IMO.

Return to “Archive Chat”