About anti-spy measures

Inverno

Re: About anti-spy measures

Postby Inverno » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:15 pm

anthriel wrote:I'm not a big fan of spying and do think it needs to be addressed somehow. But I'm also not a big fan of restricting 1 guild per account if it's also restricted to 1 account per player. I think it just promotes more factionalism in the end. I like being in multiple guilds where this is allowed and aboveboard. I do after all own a mercenary guild (albeit a very quiet and lazy one atm). Peace.

Edit - perhaps a better/less restrictive way would be to make a command to let guildies query a persons account somehow. Eg if Anthriel joined your guild you could see on /gi anthriel that "Anthriel also has ties to Ronin Agency etc" based on whatever other guilds I've joined with characters on my 1 account. Shrugs.

Agreed.
Inverno - Saurian Priest
--
Lutz - Drakeblood Ninja
Kim - Elf Ninja
Mai - Elemental Ninja
Olrox - Dwarf DeathMage
Tumbizaletalayer - Half Orc Guardian
Bastian - Goblin Cavalier Bark Bark!
Neymar - Saurian Stalker
Mime - Saurian Minstrel

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 am

Inverno wrote:
anthriel wrote:I'm not a big fan of spying and do think it needs to be addressed somehow. But I'm also not a big fan of restricting 1 guild per account if it's also restricted to 1 account per player. I think it just promotes more factionalism in the end. I like being in multiple guilds where this is allowed and aboveboard. I do after all own a mercenary guild (albeit a very quiet and lazy one atm). Peace.

Edit - perhaps a better/less restrictive way would be to make a command to let guildies query a persons account somehow. Eg if Anthriel joined your guild you could see on /gi anthriel that "Anthriel also has ties to Ronin Agency etc" based on whatever other guilds I've joined with characters on my 1 account. Shrugs.

Agreed.

Agreed but I think you have to account for people leaving guilds right before joining so something like: Anthriel also has had in the past 2 weeks or now has ties to Ronin Agency etc

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 am

I am neutral to this, but if there is a problem with spying then Anthriel's idea is pretty solid.
On one hand it is annoying to have "spies" in your guild, makes for paranoia. So less a chance of spies leads for a more peaceful existence.
On the other hand it is an aspect of the game that will go. I am sure spying can be used for lol's as much as anything else.
If I had to choose though... i'd go with the anti spy idea :)
Choices choices eh :popcorn:
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 am

The problem isn’t spying. It really doesn’t happen as often as people think and the advantage to doing it is pretty small if at all.

The real problem with spying is that guild leaders get scared that it’s happening and shutdown invites or reduce recruitment efforts which means actual new players don’t get the help they need to get started and often leave the game before they get started.

If we can ensure players are new that means they are going to get help games going to grow etc. that’s why it’s important.

Folder

Postby Folder » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am

BigTimer23 wrote:
Folder wrote:Honestly though who is even spying? It's no one from Silh. Jeff and Angie? Doesn't seem their style.

Are we sure this is a big issue? 100% not trying to be a dick here. I think end of the day we can, as a small community, just be cool about stuff like this.

Didn't a silh member just get done spying though?

Huh? Sorry I don't have any idea what you're referring to here.

I personally don't give a flying hoot about spying, I haven't ever said no to an invite because I thought someone was "spying". There's nothing to even gain from it. OaDs are a set time, there are OaD indicators so you know if something was done, you can /who or /i to find people online. So...what...someone is gonna spy on clan chat? Ok? Who cares :roll:
<Silhouette>

Driab

Postby Driab » Sun May 13, 2018 11:23 am

A lot of the suggestions in here are pretty interesting, but I think there's a core concept I'm misunderstanding.

Why would this be an issue that needs to be addressed by the game staff? If you believe that your guild is being infiltrated by spies, that sounds a lot more like an administrative problem within your guild to me. I think it's a slippery slope when you start confusing frustrating aspects of gameplay with quality of life issues.

I think the question there is scope, and I believe that's what Folder was essentially saying at first. Does it happen? Probably. Is it a large enough issue that sweeping changes should be made to the game that could potentially make it less welcoming to new players? Probably not. Spying is admittedly a frustrating possibility in Ember, and was in Realms of Kaos as well, but there are ways to plan around it and even use it to your advantage. When you attempt to remove the possibility of things like this, you take away levels of depth from the game itself.

At least that's my opinion on it.

Kruell

Postby Kruell » Sun May 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Driab just won this thread :popcorn:
If you look like prey you will be eaten

Terron

Postby Terron » Mon May 14, 2018 12:39 am

noone spys for anything game related. theyd spy for drama or he said she said bs. just get over it and sit at a crossroads hidden like everyone else.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 am

Driab wrote:A lot of the suggestions in here are pretty interesting, but I think there's a core concept I'm misunderstanding.

Why would this be an issue that needs to be addressed by the game staff? If you believe that your guild is being infiltrated by spies, that sounds a lot more like an administrative problem within your guild to me. I think it's a slippery slope when you start confusing frustrating aspects of gameplay with quality of life issues.

I think the question there is scope, and I believe that's what Folder was essentially saying at first. Does it happen? Probably. Is it a large enough issue that sweeping changes should be made to the game that could potentially make it less welcoming to new players? Probably not. Spying is admittedly a frustrating possibility in Ember, and was in Realms of Kaos as well, but there are ways to plan around it and even use it to your advantage. When you attempt to remove the possibility of things like this, you take away levels of depth from the game itself.

At least that's my opinion on it.

Again like I stated its not that we care about the actual spying. I get that its a tactic and part of the game can even be fun.

The issue is the effects of spying. When spying is allowed to go on guild leaders are more cautious (which they should be) and because of this real new people dont get the help they need. that is the core of the problem again staff could care less about yall double agenting each other and ruining boss runs and jumping levelers all that fun stuff.

It is simply about new players not getting the help they need because everyone is worried about spys. I hate to say it but id rather new players get help than you guys getting to double cross eachother. Thats why i will keep pushing this as hard as i can =/

Terron

Postby Terron » Mon May 14, 2018 2:08 am

need to promote newbie channel with something new players actually see. (this is a great option for after the update, where new accounts have the secondary window preset to newbie channel and open so its apparent the moment you log on.)

ive never had a guildless newbie ask for anything on the channel they usually get asked to join a guild rather quickly then ask questions
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Return to “Archive Chat”