Elves - charisma affinity as racial trait

anthriel

Elves - charisma affinity as racial trait

Postby anthriel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:13 am

Currently elves are one of the lesser used races because they don’t excel in anything (they are one of the top 3 choices for spellcaster classes but probably a very distant 3rd or worse for other classes like ranger/druid/bard/cleric etc).

And I know it’s been talked about that they may be getting more racial traits soon to compensate. However the current things I’ve heard have to do with increasing their current passive racial advantage (eg reducing fizzle chance even more etc)... And while that is nice, it does seem rather limited in usefulness for one type of class (ie casters)

Hence instead I propose the racial improvement that is given to elves is not so much to do with fizzling but an increased affinity for Charisma rolls. Basically this means where an Elf invests in Chr stat, the variable bonus amount given for hp/mp when levelling is given a bonus +1 that shifts it toward the max end of the range. Eg say a 22chr elf has a Chr that grants the chance of getting 3-6 bonus hp when leveling. If the roll comes out at 6 then nothing different happens. But if it comes out any lower then the elf gets a +1 (ie a 3 roll gets 4, a 4 roll gets 5 and a 5 roll gets 6). Basically this just allows the elf a better chance than other races to capitalise on Chr rolls.

I feel this is not overpowered (you still need to invest in Chr builds to take advantage of this) but it would make them a more attractive choice in not only playing spellcasters but also some melee (eg rangers & bards)

Peace

daedroth

Re: Elves - charisma affinity as racial trait

Postby daedroth » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:48 am

Well, at best that is only +25 hit points (half and END point), unless things have changed since I "played" rather than "afk'd".
@Anthriel basically you mean a +1 min HP gain roll.
I don't see a problem with this.

Their also meant to be wood elf types are they? How about a small + to the chance of taming/pet potency?
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Haha thx for doing the math for me daedroth (I didn’t bother). I agree that it should not be overpowered cos a lucky person could potentially get these type of charisma rolls anyway. The ability just helps the elf get ‘luckier’ with their charisma rolls (abit of bonus hp/mp over what another race for that same class may have gotten).

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:49 am

I get it, but a little more HP doesn't really make them better. Basically what we're saying here is that the min roll is +1 and the max is the same, resulting in a overall higher max pool of HP, minimum +25 HP.

It would also make +1 ending useless too though, as you'd gain more by adding into char, not only would you get more HP for 5 charisma points over +1'ing your end, it seems it would be slightly unbalanced in that regard. (Not to mention you also gain MP too). There might be something to giving them a bonus based on Charisma, but HP is probably not a good one as its already borderline gimping +1'ing END/WIS with the gains.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Sorta, on average it will be +12.5
Maximum (min) bonus will be +25.

CHR 11 = 0 - 1 = 0 to 25 = 12.5 average
with +1 min its 25 to 25 = 25 average
------------------------------------------------
CHR 15 = 1 - 3 = 25 to 75 = 50 average
+1 min = 2 - 3 = +50 to 75 = 62.5 average
------------------------------------------------
+1 END = +50 min/ave/max.

Work the way through the table and itll be on average 12.5 hp gained per CHR hp + jump.

So at best it is 1/2 an END point on average +1/4 an END point.
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

anthriel

Postby anthriel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 pm

Thx for doing the math Daedroth :)

Yeah as for interfering with value of +1 end ... well most ppl wouldn’t bother doing +1 end on an elf anyway (if it’s a melee char they better off going half elf and +1 agi for cheaper and if its a spellcaster then they will choose Chr anyway cos it gives mp bonus too)

Basically I was just trying to find a way to make elf relevant in Melee again. They used to be equal to Lings in melee (1 agi vs 1 end tradeoff) but now lings have the dodge bonus that makes the tradeoff to elf more like (minus 1.5 agi to gain 1 end)

I mean you could just raise the max elf char stat to 23 (that may attract some more use as a ranger or bard and be doubtful to overpower other classes). shrugs

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 am

anthriel wrote:Thx for doing the math Daedroth :)

Your welcome, buy me a paracetamol as a thanks though, talk is cheap.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”