Font & Font Size

What font is best (Check post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=92&p=635#p635)

9%
9%
18%
64%

Total votes: 11
NiteHawk
Site Admin

Font & Font Size

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 02, 2016 7:03 am

The chat box for the font is something I wanted to ask people. What font should it be?

Mind you, the font needs to be monospaced to work correctly with a few things, so choices are limited. In simple terms, monospace fonts have the same width per letter, which work well when adding party information and having it in a nice aligned table, for example. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monospaced_font

--Check this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=92&p=635#p635 ---

Another thing, what size should it be? Right now, font size is 9. The above image is bigger, so maybe we just need to scale the current font larger. (Current font is the second option) in that image.

Eventually I'll adjust it so you can pick font and font size yourself. But I am talking about default.

Satsujin

Re: Font & Font Size

Postby Satsujin » Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 am

I like the bottom one. I'm more partial to serif fonts (seriously, the fact most places use sans serif makes my teeth itch), and a serif font as the default will prevent a lot of the I/l confusion ROK had that pissed me off to no end when I was a newbie there.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 02, 2016 9:54 am

I like the top & second to bottom because they are the most bold and seems easier to read.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 02, 2016 9:58 am

I will make something easier to see for each example IG. The last example might not be the exact correct font. I'll post tonight.

Mujahideen

Postby Mujahideen » Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 am

I like the top.
Troll. I am here to create the issues that plague the game, I will push your buttons and like the outcome.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Apparently the above don't really work, some do. But these are the monotype fonts I've found so far. Obviously they can be sized up if people think it's too small (let me know if it is.)

1:
x1.png
x1.png (26.77 KiB) Viewed 7736 times

2:
x2.png
x2.png (27.35 KiB) Viewed 7736 times

3:
x3.png
x3.png (27.68 KiB) Viewed 7736 times

4:
x4.png
x4.png (26.12 KiB) Viewed 7736 times

Let's vote on the top 4 for now.

Kawasaki

Postby Kawasaki » Mon May 02, 2016 2:32 pm

I would vote for #4 slightly larger, or possibly bold

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 pm

This is the difference for one font size, ain't no middle font size here.
Attachments
fontsizesj.jpg
fontsizesj.jpg (146.67 KiB) Viewed 7723 times

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Mon May 02, 2016 5:16 pm

I like 3 if bit was bigger

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon May 02, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm not sure exactly what additional explorations we can make beyond these four, but #4 looks like the best option up here.

#1 appears to have extended letterforms. With how wide the fixed-width is for each letter we're going to create far too much vertical scroll. You can even tell in the example you posted that we've knocked two words down to the next line. In heavy combat situations this is going to become very frustrating.

#3 almost the exact opposite situation. This typeface more closely resembled a condensed font. With a really tall x-height, shortened ascenders and non-existing letter-spacing these letterforms are ontop of each other compared to the others. While most of the other letterforms are "touching" in the other examples, the elongated x-heights exaggerates this effect here.

#2 I'm actually not opposed to this but would prefer we use a san-serif (Sorry Satsujin). With screen resolution not being anywhere close to print, the eye can process san-serif typefaces far faster than it's serif counterpart on a screen. Especially at the speed and scale for a game like EO. This is my second choice, but the only reason I'd recommend it over #4 is if we aesthetically felt it more on brand or characteristic of the experience we're going for - however I think we'll have a slight sacrifice in legibility when the screen is scrolling.

#4 Probably the most balanced typeface up here. If we need to bold keyword it seems to have enough spacing to not smash up on each other. Is it possible to increase the leading/line-height? I'm not sure if it'll help but these monotypefaces have really uncomfortable rivers and valleys in them. I wouldn't recommend increasing the font size too much and we definitely don't want to be bolding our body copy. 10pt is consider fairly comfortable across most devices and resolutions.

Return to “Archive Chat”