Loot tables and boss changes

Folder

Loot tables and boss changes

Postby Folder » Sun May 07, 2017 10:11 am

Loot tables:
Can these be made public, please? I don't think I've ever played a game with loot tables where, unless we're talking 100% rng loot, they weren't public knowledge. We should know what we're chasing, especially when it comes to the rare drops. We've killed Mana Devil and the Minotaur I dunno, some 8 times or so now and have never seen anything other than the guaranteed drops. Is there more? How are people supposed to be motivated to keep killing something for the rare loot when we don't even know if there is any?

Boss changes:
When boss changes (loot tables, nerfs, buffs, etc.) happen can they please be made public? Lat did this recently with Dreads and it is VERY MUCH appreciated. Caverns and Salamander were changed at some point but we had no idea about it because there was nothing posted about it. Typically the whole point of changes is to encourage people to get out there and do something, but obviously we need to know about the changes for that to happen.

TY FRENZ.
Last edited by Folder on Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Silhouette>

Lateralus

Re: Loot tables and boss changes

Postby Lateralus » Sun May 07, 2017 12:51 pm

+1 to this. I agree here for the most part.

Im going to do a pros and cons to giving these numbers (feel free to post and add if I missed anything)

Pros:
Allows player to evaluate the oads to help us better balance them.
Players know what they are going for and where to find it.
Even if an item hasn't dropped yet players know there's a chance and will want to keep trying for it.
If there is a problem or bug players have the info they need to help find that bug

Cons:
-Removes the mystery for 1st time the item drops. I can see some players like to be surprised. If that's the case just don't look on the wiki?
-might be hard to get the info out to everyone. Not everyone checks the forums or wiki.

On top of these points quite a few staff have access to these numbers anyways so it's not very fair in that aspect (not that knowing numbers gives an advantage).

Maybe we could meet in the middle once and an item drops reveal its drop rate? I do however think revamped oads and bosses should have a little announcement or post telling their changes.

A change log for any build changes should be on the forums imo. I mean the whole reason we are revamping is to try to up usage of these areas.

Making the changes then saying nothing about them accomplishes nothing.

Adramelk

Postby Adramelk » Sun May 07, 2017 1:20 pm

+1

Let's get all or most of the information out there, might spur some more activity.

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Sun May 07, 2017 2:56 pm

+1

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 am

Notification of changes is good, mixed on the loot tables details though... I don't know I kinda like the surprise element, but I can where you guys are coming from (if people see there is a drop that they can use it might get them to try for it instead of tavern sitting or some such).
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Eld

Postby Eld » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 am

I agree that i don't like items introduced without any notification, but I'm not sure where i stand on how much detail to give.

At the very least there should be a public announcement that item drops have been tweaked for a certain monster, perhaps even a hint at what item will drop.

After it has dropped I quite like the idea of an update letting people know who got the first item and what the chances are of it dropping going forward.

You could even have a sub forum dedicated to these announcements, it'd be useful for drawing back in some of our more casual players who might look at the forums every now and then and might prompt them to log back in if they see a new medium armour or dagger available.

This sub forum could include other things like game area updates, class updates, new staff, new events, etc.

I think I'm describing the news sub forum basically, but maybe this needs to be used a lot more regularly

Perhaps introduce a sub forum for game updates which crossposts to the main website front page, which again will make us more attractive for people checking out the game and deciding whether to try it

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Mon May 08, 2017 6:19 am

Eld wrote:I agree that i don't like items introduced without any notification, but I'm not sure where i stand on how much detail to give.

At the very least there should be a public announcement that item drops have been tweaked for a certain monster, perhaps even a hint at what item will drop.

After it has dropped I quite like the idea of an update letting people know who got the first item and what the chances are of it dropping going forward.

You could even have a sub forum dedicated to these announcements, it'd be useful for drawing back in some of our more casual players who might look at the forums every now and then and might prompt them to log back in if they see a new medium armour or dagger available.

This sub forum could include other things like game area updates, class updates, new staff, new events, etc.

I think I'm describing the news sub forum basically, but maybe this needs to be used a lot more regularly

Perhaps introduce a sub forum for game updates which crossposts to the main website front page, which again will make us more attractive for people checking out the game and deciding whether to try it

Yea I think this would be pretty great us builders make daily changes I am sure the player base would like to know about them as well as knowing we are constantly working to improve the game.

Eld

Postby Eld » Mon May 08, 2017 6:43 am

Just as a brief follow up, i like the idea of a news window on our front page.

i then like the idea of 4 news subforums which automatically get crossposted to the front of the website with filterable tags or tabs for the different news types

Build News - mentions of new areas, and tweaks to existing areas
Event News - mentions of new events, event winners, etc.
Quest News - mentions of quests, world walker damage status, details of who attacked a world walker maybe?
General Game News - mention of new staff hires, any game balance changes, any other announcements like client/server updates, new artwork etc.

Possibly even a clan news thing, but this is debatable and would need to be heavily moderated.
i.e. announcements of new clans forming, announcements if recruitment has opened.

Perhaps better not to do clan news and leave that for the sub forum.

JadeFalcon

Postby JadeFalcon » Mon May 08, 2017 10:25 am

Totally agreed with this thread - I don't want to sound mean, but to the "outside viewer", things might seem dead if there is no news of updates (even if this is far from the truth)
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Proud member, Halfling Appreciation Club

HAC Tip of the Week:
Roast Halfling leg with rosemary, garlic and white wine. Ideal for that family dinner!

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 am

JadeFalcon wrote:Totally agreed with this thread - I don't want to sound mean, but to the "outside viewer", things might seem dead if there is no news of updates (even if this is far from the truth)

You will always be an "outside viewer" you filthy immigrant!
PS. Outside viewer sounds perverted! Stay away from my home or I will call the police again!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Return to “Archive Chat”