[impressions] Battle system

tangar

[impressions] Battle system

Postby tangar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Overall, I like Ember Online very much. This game has the most friendly UI (among MUDs) which I saw. It make playing this MUD very big pleasure.

Also I love the world, locations, setting, lore, classes and races... It's all very well done.

But I see some parts of gameplay which could be improved IMHO. And the most crucial is Battle system of some classes.

I like general battle concept very much - that there is certain time for a turn and you have some time between turns to understand whats going on. It's made very nice. But... battle itself is too repetive and at certain point become boring.

Of course, game has to have different classes. Some of them has to be more straightforward and easy to play, some has to be more complex. But currently there is too much 'one-click' fights, at least in PvE (I didn't try PvP yet... almost) - it looks like 'clicker-game' sometimes.

I suggest to add more skills to some classes. For example, I play sorcerer, lvl 15. I got 1 skill to attack,1 summon, 1 buff. Soon I'll have also 1 debuff (str). To tell the truth - it's not much. In general I have to 1-click all fights. Of course, it's not graphical MMORPG like WoW, where we could have 20+ skills, but at least it would be fun to have different attack skills. 1 AoE, 1 DoT, 1 spike damage, 1 control skill (interupt or stun) . I heard that AoE system isn't there yet, but then it could be different spike damage skills. Example:
1) 'Explosition' spell. After cast it do nothing, but at second (or third?) turn it make 1.5x damage of Blast
2) 'Strike' - it takes 2 stamina to cast it; it makes 2.5x damage of Blast.
3) 'Thunderstorm' - make 0.5 damage of Blast and mini-stun target (-1 stamina for 1 turn)
4) 'Slow time' - debuff, reducing (-1) 'stamina' for certain time
5) 'Elemental shield' - each time when enemy hits you, he takes certain amount of damage

Some of the most powerful spells could have cooldown (time to wait before next cast), so they wouldn't be harassed too often.

It's just an example, if it's good ideas, I'll be glad to participate in brainstorm and try to polish this concept.

Main idea - it would be fun to have more options in battle, to think and decide - which option to choose. It would make game _really_ perfect.

I understand that it's hard to balance a lot of skills... But it's very essential thing IMHO, to have more options in fights.

Now I'm rerolling to necro, cause at least necromancers has DoT skill, so it would be a bit more action around... But actually I like sorcerer magic more and I'm kinda forced to merge to another class to have more dynamic gameplay. And considering necro - I heard that it's mainly Rot+Leech rotation. Why not to make Beam also useful if you don't need heal atm, so it would make more damage then Leech? It would give some more choice...

Thanks for an attention,
Kind regards,
Tangar
https://youtube.com/GlazGame — streams in English // https://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Eld

Re: [impressions] Battle system

Postby Eld » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Very good post, great feedback.
I like the sound of all these skills and they could all be worthwhile.

I also agree with the sentiment that we could do with more skills in battle, but you've rounded it out with some good suggestions.

As mentioned in Discord, i think the main game developer (Nitehawk) is on holiday until Tuesday, but he usually loves these well thought out feedback posts, especially from new players.

I hope you continue to play and contribute feedback!

Styx

Postby Styx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:45 pm

The aoe and dot can become very over powered. And if you check out the forums all the racial stats we are in debate on balance issues

I like the idea of aoe and dot for all classes. :mrgreen:

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Once we get the current spells/attacks balanced we'll see about adding new spells slowly. I'm all for stuff like that anyways on spell casters.

The time slow is a pretty good once though, pretty much reverse haste. Might be a neat thing to have.

Sicx

Postby Sicx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Yep. Said most of this on Discord. We talked. Agreed on all parts

Sicx - Today at 3:54 PM
I wasn't
During the mosh
After watching tangars videos I've been trying to think how we can improve combat
Which was why I was saying we need more skills
tangar - Today at 3:56 PM
I'm writing message at forum about it atm :smiley:
Sicx - Today at 3:56 PM
lol.
:clap:
This simplistic combat works for us old schoolers...
But we're not going to get many new people coming in
We need skill set ups, etc.
Use this skill, then this skill, then this skill to achieve maximum DPS.
Not just 1 button wars.
We need Stun locks.
Bleed affects
We need more ailments
Paralysis
Confusion
In game: Diablo, Satan, Sicx, Nyte
Guardians of Darkness

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Sicx wrote:We need Stun locks.
Paralysis

No :evil:

All other stuff good.
<Silhouette>

Sicx

Postby Sicx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Don't be scared. If you're scared, say you're scared.
Guardians of Darkness

Terron

Postby Terron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 pm

slow time would be funny if everyone just replenished half stamina or the mage sets aside 1 stamina for the duration and everyone else regens -1 aswell. reason i said half is -1 makes monks even better than they already are and cripples slayers unless they can regen normal off square.

and yeah i agree with necro needing a higher damage spell outside of leech. like negative energy ray or something. leech should do lowest damage and regen close to the same hps it does in damage. necro is one of my favorites, i just dont like that healing your zombie is a pain and usually less efficient to just re-summons.

no stun locks, dont want a game where u cant even leave town w/o a group of 4. because 3-6 people stun you endlessly

i wouldnt mind a root spell that breaks when u leave square draining 2 stamina. just prevents running away on 1 stam.

Druidguy calls upon the forest!

Roots and Vines grow up beneath you Rooting you in place.

bob is a blah blah blah he looks blah blah, He is Rooted.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

this game is like sim ant
zerg the red ants with more black ants

Sicx

Postby Sicx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:07 pm

So basically grasping vines from NM, Terron.
Guardians of Darkness

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Just not a fan of stun locks and abilities that make you lose control of your character. They have no place in a game that is designed to be relatively simple imo.

Roots and more spells in general are great though.
<Silhouette>

Return to “Archive Chat”