1 Character

What should the online character limit be for one person?

69%
31%

Total votes: 32
Satsujin

Re: 1 Character

Postby Satsujin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:51 pm

Mujahideen wrote:I don't see how you can make a game for a PC and have it be balanced for a tablet. You will be lacking somewhere such as typing commands on your tablet screen and keeping up with people who use the mouse. It's like taking a two wheel drive sedan off road.

In order for it to work on a tablet, you'd have to dumb the game down.

You don't need to dumb the game down at all though, you just need to ensure the races and classes are all balanced, then tada, one alt at a time is perfectly doable. A fair number of people on ROK primarily set macros instead of typing commands anyhow, the only difference from that to tablet is macros would need to have tappable buttons on the mobile clients instead of using the function keys.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Kenichi wrote:2 brings a lot of interesting scenarios in fight and character combinations. <3

It does and I don't think anyone denies that. Just as 3 Alts has even more interesting combos and 4 is even more interesting and so on.

The thing is it's just not realistic for new players to be able to not only learn this whole game but then be expected to play 2 windows at once. Their other option is to play 1 character and struggle mightily to play the game (because designed for Alts). You remember how hard it was to solo level a character with bound gear in old Rok? Keith tried it and even he couldn't succeed. he was one of the best players in the game who knew everything about the game. What chance would a new player have to do so?

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Lateralus wrote:
Kenichi wrote:2 brings a lot of interesting scenarios in fight and character combinations. <3

It does and I don't think anyone denies that. Just as 3 Alts has even more interesting combos and 4 is even more interesting and so on.

The thing is it's just not realistic for new players to be able to not only learn this whole game but then be expected to play 2 windows at once. Their other option is to play 1 character and struggle mightily to play the game (because designed for Alts). You remember how hard it was to solo level a character with bound gear in old Rok? Keith tried it and even he couldn't succeed. he was one of the best players in the game who knew everything about the game. What chance would a new player have to do so?

Agreed. I still think 2 should be something you earn, maybe at 25. By then you have a grasp of the game and it's an achievement. Everybody loves achievements these days!

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Agreed. I still think 2 should be something you earn, maybe at 25. By then you have a grasp of the game and it's an achievement. Everybody loves achievements these days!

By locking it to vets only you widen the gap even more vs just leaving it completely unlocked. Not only that, you make it so that people who actually leveled (I.E. Vets) are more powerful then newbies.

If 2 alts were ever added, it would be available to everyone in fairness.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:25 pm

NiteHawk wrote:

By locking it to vets only you widen the gap even more vs just leaving it completely unlocked. Not only that, you make it so that people who actually leveled (I.E. Vets) are more powerful then newbies.

If 2 alts were ever added, it would be available to everyone in fairness.

Agreed. Unlocking is giving way more of an advantage to vets.

Trust me if it was just us vets that were ever going to play id say set it at 2-3 Alts but I gotta put the game first over my own wants. I know in the long run I'd rather have a full game that's constantly getting new players rather than a dying game that can't attract new players because the barrier is too high for anyone to start up.

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 pm

I see both of your points. 1 alt will make teamwork and guilds much more important.

Remnant

Postby Remnant » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:41 pm

If there is a necessity-or even a desire-for a player to utilize two characters at once, something is wrong. Fix it creatively, you have this ability! For instance you could implement familiars of some sort, unique to the world and its lore. Don't let the future be limited by the past.
I am a remnant of things long past, of things that lingered but could not last.

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Remnant wrote:If there is a necessity-or even a desire-for a player to utilize two characters at once, something is wrong. Fix it creatively, you have this ability! For instance you could implement familiars of some sort, unique to the world and its lore. Don't let the future be limited by the past.

Holy crap! Well said!!

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Remnant wrote:If there is a necessity-or even a desire-for a player to utilize two characters at once, something is wrong. Fix it creatively, you have this ability! For instance you could implement familiars of some sort, unique to the world and its lore. Don't let the future be limited by the past.

Great approach! There are tons of things we can do to make solo playing easier for physical classes that dont have all the survive ability that some of the healing classes have without changing the core game.

Number 1 thing is actually design the world correctly for 1 character. less groups of monsters, more save zones, lower hp on monsters, etc im sure builders will figure out what works.

Another slight tweak could be higher regen rates so players are not idle so long (most modern games do this atleast when out of combat).

Cheaper better potions could help as well.

All these can be done without changing the core classes/game much at all while making the solo play much more enjoyable and quicker paced.

Dorgon

Postby Dorgon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 pm

I am hooked no matter what.

Return to “Archive Chat”