Regarding character names, guild names, or pet names.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Regarding character names, guild names, or pet names.

Postby NiteHawk » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:44 am

It's a touchy subject but I want to get this cleared out for everyone.

As long as it's not evading the swear filter, and it's not racial/hateful/etc, direct or obvious attack on someone specific, it's free game. While some person may be offended by one or two things I cannot step in just because, otherwise everyone would be using this and claiming unfair if I didn't accept this.

Think of it this way though, if it's PG, it's generally is valid. Sorry guys.

These rules can change at any time depending on what I miss.

Cynic

Re: Regarding character names, guild names, or pet names.

Postby Cynic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:35 pm

NiteHawk wrote:It's a touchy subject but I want to get this cleared out for everyone.

As long as it's not evading the swear filter, and it's not racial/hateful/etc, direct or obvious attack on someone specific, it's free game.

Except y'know.. names such as 'aids', 'hepatits', 'cancer'...
Since there are millions living with a disease that affects their daily lives and struggle with eventually dying from it.

Definitely not offensive at all.
[/sarcasm]

NiteHawk wrote:While some person may be offended by one or two things I cannot step in just because, otherwise everyone would be using this and claiming unfair if I didn't accept this.

It's easy to pull up a list of swears and racial slurs that can be implemented into name creation; it isn't hard, and it shouldn't be dismissed so lightly like this. Especially running a .docx script through the creator and it funneling through the list of what you can manually edit so when a word is triggered on the list, it'll display "unavailable, or not allowed" etc..

I didn't help improve and stress alpha/beta test my balls off just to see dumb shit like this spread with a game I enjoy playing everyday.

It's not professional.

YOU ARE THE CREATOR. YOU MAKE THE RULES.

Edit:
http://www.rsdb.org/
http://www.rsdb.org/full

Rodeo

Postby Rodeo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I can see offensive words being banned but diseases I think would be ok. One char name I always laughed about I rok was a guardian named condom. You can put it together and it was a little dirty fun. I even had a brogan named Hitler and that one was a touchy one but no one ever got super hurt about it. A certain degree of flexibility should be maintained. But like with all names people should use common sense when picking one out. If it's out of line staff ask them to delete it. If they refuse then it's forced deletion.

I doubt we need a hitler filter.

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I thought there was a name filter already in place? I remember someone saying they couldn't make an alt because of it.
Was it removed because of that?
If so, just re-implement it and change the blocks as and when appropriate (ie someone tried to make something with an innocent name that gets blocked, they can post and ask why. If deemed acceptable, remove it from the block list).
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Cynic wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:It's a touchy subject but I want to get this cleared out for everyone.

As long as it's not evading the swear filter, and it's not racial/hateful/etc, direct or obvious attack on someone specific, it's free game.

Except y'know.. names such as 'aids', 'hepatits', 'cancer'...
Since there are millions living with a disease that affects their daily lives and struggle with eventually dying from it.

Definitely not offensive at all.
[/sarcasm]

NiteHawk wrote:While some person may be offended by one or two things I cannot step in just because, otherwise everyone would be using this and claiming unfair if I didn't accept this.

It's easy to pull up a list of swears and racial slurs that can be implemented into name creation; it isn't hard, and it shouldn't be dismissed so lightly like this. Especially running a .docx script through the creator and it funneling through the list of what you can manually edit so when a word is triggered on the list, it'll display "unavailable, or not allowed" etc..

I didn't help improve and stress alpha/beta test my balls off just to see dumb shit like this spread with a game I enjoy playing everyday.

It's not professional.

YOU ARE THE CREATOR. YOU MAKE THE RULES.

Edit:
http://www.rsdb.org/
http://www.rsdb.org/full

It sounds like you're taking lead on this project. I'm down for that.

Make me a wordlist in text format, you'll have to go through it and remove general stuff that would not work. For example two aa's would have to be removed because people couldng use Haappy for example. (dumb example but you get the drift.)

Minor words like 'ass' can be removed too, it's not that offensive and come cool names are lost because of it.. I.E. Assassin. Bass, etc.

Thanks mate!

Folder

Postby Folder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Hooray I can still fish rp on Bass.
<Silhouette>

Cynic

Postby Cynic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:48 pm

NiteHawk wrote:It sounds like you're taking lead on this project. I'm down for that.

Make me a wordlist in text format, you'll have to go through it and remove general stuff that would not work. For example two aa's would have to be removed because people couldng use Haappy for example. (dumb example but you get the drift.)

Minor words like 'ass' can be removed too, it's not that offensive and come cool names are lost because of it.. I.E. Assassin. Bass, etc.

Thanks mate!

It's going to take a day or two to compile every word but I'll need your backend to make a blacklist/whitelist filter for the character creation.
I know you're busy, but this means a lot to me so i'm willing to help.

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Postby NiteHawk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Cynic wrote:
NiteHawk wrote:It sounds like you're taking lead on this project. I'm down for that.

Thanks mate!

It's going to take a day or two to compile every word but I'll need your backend to make a blacklist/whitelist filter for the character creation.
I know you're busy, but this means a lot to me so i'm willing to help.

That's cool. I actually don't mind long as people help out. I can't do it all myself so it's nice that people help out 8)

I will upload what I have so far and you can go through it and remove/add stuff. I know there are some that could do with removal. Things like ass, butt, aren't so vulgur.

There isn't no whitelist, only blacklist. Attached.
Attachments
words.zip
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

Cynic

Postby Cynic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:07 pm

NiteHawk wrote:That's cool. I actually don't mind long as people help out. I can't do it all myself so it's nice that people help out 8)

I will upload what I have so far and you can go through it and remove/add stuff. I know there are some that could do with removal. Things like ass, butt, aren't so vulgur.

There isn't no whitelist, only blacklist. Attached.

Here, i'll attach but PM me your email or other protocol that we can communicate/collaborate.
Attachments
bad_updated_12.0.16.7z
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

Folder

Postby Folder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Not to be a dick but what one considers offensive can vary greatly. Just want to say please don't go too crazy with this. Filter profanity sure, we probably don't want Fuckyou the slayer running around but diseases? That's stretching it imo.
<Silhouette>

Return to “Archive Chat”