Taunt & Shield Bash - Knights

NiteHawk
Site Admin

Taunt & Shield Bash - Knights

Postby NiteHawk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:38 pm

First off, Taunt.

Taunt might be a bit over the top right now. It was never really balanced. Right now, if you have 20 charisma, and are level 25, you make '9' copies of yourself. This means you have a 10 to 1 chance of being hit. (Yourself plus 9 copies lets say.)

This might be too high in all honesty. It obviously does what it needs to do, but maybe too well. It should reduce overall damage on others, but I don't think it should be pretty much ziltch. However, it shouldn't be too low either. In a party of 6 you need to think, what should be the hit ratio of others? 50%? If it would be 50%, then it neesd to make 4 copies instead of 9, which gives you 50% chance. I.E. 4+1=5 of you vs your other 5 party members. 50%. What do people feel is fair with 20 charisma?

Shield bash will be added too once I get some scripting sorted on it knowing what happened 'after' a attack has happened. I think shield bash should generally be if your shield blocks (so based on that), and then it should shield bash them for half your damage. That sound good overall?

Ardrahz

Re: Taunt & Shield Bash - Knights

Postby Ardrahz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Knights are already quite formidable, having dmg reduc AND reflect MIGHT be a bit too much.
HomeGrown

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:15 pm

im sure you have ideas to bring balance to the class as your considering adding this, but thats just my 2 cents.
HomeGrown

Ardrahz

Postby Ardrahz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:16 pm

would the bash dmg scale before the dmg reduc or after?
HomeGrown

Satsujin

Postby Satsujin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Oi, learn to edit your posts if you have more to add to your original comment.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...
Mahariel | 25 Brigand
Starlyte | 20 Cleric
Starstryke | 25 Stalker

Folder

Postby Folder » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:42 pm

I like shield bash but do knights need more damage? I'm really not sure they do.

Taunt at around 50% seems fair. I really don't think it should be higher than that or guards become less and less useful. How does it scale with charisma though? Are there breakpoints?
<Silhouette>

daedroth

Postby daedroth » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:06 am

Why not have a script: count party members / 2 + chr bonus
or something like that, then it will be 25% + chr bonus, no im wrong... thats 1/3 + chr

count party members / 3 + chr bonus
i think thats better...

off course there would need to be a ru/rd/rn when party count was divvied, and an exclussion of pets

eh its early and im still waking!
Disclaimer: Any ideas I come up with may not even meet my approval. I am just posting an idea based on the topic I have just read.
I love sheep.

Honzo

Postby Honzo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:28 am

NiteHawk wrote:First off, Taunt.

Taunt might be a bit over the top right now. It was never really balanced. Right now, if you have 20 charisma, and are level 25, you make '9' copies of yourself. This means you have a 10 to 1 chance of being hit. (Yourself plus 9 copies lets say.)

This might be too high in all honesty. It obviously does what it needs to do, but maybe too well. It should reduce overall damage on others, but I don't think it should be pretty much ziltch. However, it shouldn't be too low either. In a party of 6 you need to think, what should be the hit ratio of others? 50%? If it would be 50%, then it neesd to make 4 copies instead of 9, which gives you 50% chance. I.E. 4+1=5 of you vs your other 5 party members. 50%. What do people feel is fair with 20 charisma?

Shield bash will be added too once I get some scripting sorted on it knowing what happened 'after' a attack has happened. I think shield bash should generally be if your shield blocks (so based on that), and then it should shield bash them for half your damage. That sound good overall?

I feel the Cav at 25 with 20 charisma should have 70% chance to get hit...I don't know how many copies that is though! 6? haha Just like someone suggested before, I believe guards should also have a fail chance, albeit not huge there should be one. They are obviously too good with a 10 to 1 chance but you dont want to nerf it to half of that off of the bat. Will the shield bash take a stamina point to use? If not then I can totally see the 50% nerf because it would push their dmg thru the freakin' roof. Final Answer; 1/3 of a nerf seems really fair considering guards just got buffed so they can help lighten the load!

Folder

Postby Folder » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:05 am

Off topic but if guards don't have 100% protect I'll never play mine again, it would entirely defeat the purpose of the class.

I have another concern about shield bash and that's 2h weapons. Is 1h + shield bash going to bring their damage inline with a 2hander? Obviously that would mean no point to 2 handers. I don't really see the need to buff knight 1h damage when they can go 2h if they want more dps, it seems a bit much for one class no?

I do like shield bash but if cavs get more hp, higher hit rate, taunt, 2h, bash, high base damage, low xp to level...it's an awful lot you know?
<Silhouette>

Honzo

Postby Honzo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 am

Knight: Needed EXP to Level 25: 300mil
Paladin: Needed EXP to Level 25: 300mil

It doesn't defeat the purpose of the class. It is strong but it is too strong probably. Its for the same reason that Knights shouldnt be getting hit 9/10 times with taunt and 20 charisma haha.

Folder wrote:Off topic but if guards don't have 100% protect I'll never play mine again, it would entirely defeat the purpose of the class.

I have another concern about shield bash and that's 2h weapons. Is 1h + shield bash going to bring their damage inline with a 2hander? Obviously that would mean no point to 2 handers. I don't really see the need to buff knight 1h damage when they can go 2h if they want more dps, it seems a bit much for one class no?

I do like shield bash but if cavs get more hp, higher hit rate, taunt, 2h, bash, high base damage, low xp to level...it's an awful lot you know?

Keep in mind that the class is getting changed. If you say it like that, I could say that Paladins get Protect(targeted taunt to everything), healing, pretty much the same damage, EASIER to level because of spells, better MR, better search/resistance to rob, and the same exp requirement as Cavs. You have to keep in mind that Guard is a 100% chance always, Knights don't have the opportunity to protect players from other players, and they will only have a CHANCE to take hits based on charisma which they will max and not have points to put in Wisdom for magic resistance. I'm sure that the high dmg is only because of using a 2hander..and that's cool if that's the way they choose to go imo. Sword/board is obviously going to be lower because you are gaining dmg mitigation, but it also requires you to deflect to shield bash so it's based off a chance anyways(which requires you to take dmg). I am still curious as to whether it is a stamina point or free action though. If it costs a stamina point but only does half of your damage...does that mean its 100% hit rate? Otherwise it wouldn't ever be worth it to shield bash over a regular attack.

Return to “Archive Chat”